News of Forthcoming COVID-19 Vaccines

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2020, 11:49 am

Covid-19 vaccines could be available by the end of December. Here's what needs to happen first. By Erika Edwards, NBC News, Nov. 18, 2020.

The most important paragraph, in terms of practical significance for most of us:

Quote:
Health officials expect that the first to receive any vaccine will be doctors and nurses on the front lines of treating patients, followed by the elderly and people with health problems that put them at greater risk for Covid-19 complications. It is thought that the general public will not be able to receive a vaccine until the spring or summer of 2021.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2020, 3:09 am

I don’t know how safe it will be& it might not work for everyone.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2020, 12:31 pm

Not in Canada :/ we won’t get vaccines until probably April.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/politic ... o-lack-of/

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2020, 1:02 pm

Kitty4670 wrote:

They have to pass the same safety tests and standards of every other vaccine. They’re going to be fine.

For the conspiracy theorists:

No, Bill Gates isn’t going to put 5G activated nano murder hornets in your covid-19 vaccine. :roll: :roll: :roll: FFS stop believing the nonsense some guy in a tinfoil hat who has a YouTube channel is selling you.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2020, 7:40 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Kitty4670 wrote:

They have to pass the same safety tests and standards of every other vaccine. They’re going to be fine.

For the conspiracy theorists:

No, Bill Gates isn’t going to put 5G activated nano murder hornets in your covid-19 vaccine. :roll: :roll: :roll: FFS stop believing the nonsense some guy in a tinfoil hat who has a YouTube channel is selling you.

The vaccine will do no good if people do not take it. If enough do not take while not as bad as now it will mean masks and social distancing for the remainder of my life. I don’t know how predictive polling on future behaviors are but they are not nearly good enough now.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2020, 7:54 pm

The Russians plan to distribute vaccines to third world countries before we get access to the Oxford vaccines.

Tempus Fugit
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2020, 8:03 pm

The vaccine will have strong side-effects. It's going to knock a lot of people out for at least a day. Which suggests that a small percentage of people could experience devastating side-effects.

Since this is a first generation vaccine, only time will tell how it affects everyone. I have a feeling that once the elderly and vulnerable are inoculated, and they survive it, the general public will feel more reassured.

Also IMO since effective treatments for covid are also being established, contracting it in the future shouldn't be that big of a deal. Between the vaccine and treatments there's no reason to keep treating this thing like it's the bubonic plague, which it was never close to being in the first place.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2020, 8:25 pm

Tempus Fugit wrote:
The vaccine will have strong side-effects. It's going to knock a lot of people out for at least a day. Which suggests that a small percentage of people could experience devastating side-effects.

Since this is a first generation vaccine, only time will tell how it affects everyone. I have a feeling that once the elderly and vulnerable are inoculated, and they survive it, the general public will feel more reassured.

Also IMO since effective treatments for covid are also being established, contracting it in the future shouldn't be that big of a deal. Between the vaccine and treatments there's no reason to keep treating this thing like it's the bubonic plague, which it was never close to being in the first place.

The side effects are reported as being like a bad hangover. Manageable.

Yeah, the more people that get them the more others will feel safe getting them. Much of the industrialized world will be vaccinated before Canadians, and then they roll it out here to Doctors & Nurses first, then elderly/immunocompromised, then other frontline workers like police and firefighters etc and then the general public last. So, I think the acceptance by Canadians will be among the highest in the world because others are going first. That and most of us believe science is real.

Ridiculous, IMO. No other virus has had such a wide array of symptoms from asymptomatic to excruciating death. And no virus has had this particular disease pathology before - which is still being figured out and there aren’t therapeutics for every aspect of the disease yet.. so it’s Not Yet something that should be considered relatively harmless. At all.

It isn’t as bad as it could have been if we didn’t have the telecommunications technology to warn/educate people and mitigate the spread. If it had just run rampant it could have had the potential to kill far more people. If the entire world did the ~nothing about it that the hardest hit areas of the USA have done, we could have had their infection and fatality rates the world over and we’d have lost Millions upon Millions of people so far. Maybe not the numbers or % of the human population that past plagued have taken, but plenty more than have been lost that’s for sure.

Tempus Fugit
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2020, 9:10 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Ridiculous, IMO. No other virus has had such a wide array of symptoms from asymptomatic to excruciating death. And no virus has had this particular disease pathology before - which is still being figured out and there aren’t therapeutics for every aspect of the disease yet.. so it’s Not Yet something that should be considered relatively harmless. At all

Apparently you missed the part where I said "in the future".

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2020, 3:06 am

Tempus Fugit wrote:
Since this is a first generation vaccine, only time will tell how it affects everyone. I have a feeling that once the elderly and vulnerable are inoculated, and they survive it, the general public will feel more reassured..

This was always my feeling. Once this is done then COVID19 will just be a bad memory (except of course for 19 years olds named Covith).

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2020, 8:19 pm

Keep the mask: A vaccine won't end the U.S. crisis right away, Associated Press via New York Newsday, November 24, 2020:

Quote:
Don’t even think of putting the mask away anytime soon.

Despite the expected arrival of COVID-19 vaccines in just a few weeks, it could take several months — probably well into 2021 — before things get back to something close to normal in the U.S. and Americans can once again go to the movies, cheer at an NBA game or give Grandma a hug.

... most people will probably have to wait months for shots to become widely available. The Pfizer and Moderna vaccines also each require two doses, meaning people will have to go back for a second shot after three and four weeks, respectively, to get the full protection.

See also the following other thread: Why COVID-19 vaccines won't return life back to 2019 in PPR.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2020, 8:40 pm

Kitty4670 wrote:

Neither do a number of other people,
Quote:
While this is good news, many questions remain. We don't yet know how long protection against the virus will last with this vaccine. We also don't know for sure whether this vaccine is safe and effective in different types of people, such as pregnant women, the elderly, or those with a chronic illness.

Once a vaccine is deployed "in the real world," we'll start to understand its true effectiveness. In practice, this is likely to be different to its efficacy in highly controlled clinical trials.

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-11- ... tiple.html

And that would be me, if you change it to "or those with a few different chronic illnesses."

Quote:
or those with a chronic illness.

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2020, 12:19 pm

Tempus Fugit wrote:

I remember the Gulf War anthrax vaccine.

Right after the shot, some soldiers sat down and died.

That vaccine is still thought to be tied to Gulf War Syndrome.

Drug makers don't care if 1% die, or 2% have serious problems.

Be the hero of your life.

Tempus Fugit
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2020, 4:17 pm

TheRobotLives wrote:
Tempus Fugit wrote:

I remember the Gulf War anthrax vaccine.

Right after the shot, some soldiers sat down and died.

That vaccine is still thought to be tied to Gulf War Syndrome.

Drug makers don't care if 1% die, or 2% have serious problems.

Ironic considering 1% die, or 2% have serious problems when it comes to covid-19, which is supposed to be a huge deal.

Statically speaking, will the cure be as bad or worse than the disease?

That plus the devastation of the massive lockdowns.

It'll be interesting to see how history looks back on this.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2020, 5:36 pm

Tempus Fugit wrote:
It'll be interesting to see how history looks back on this.

That will be totally dependent on who is rewriting the history.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2020, 11:03 pm

In case you are rushing to be in the first group to get vaccinated...beware
https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/healt ... 0c8d3aa5ad
As the world eagerly awaits the first doses of a coronavirus vaccine being rolled out, some in Sweden are watching with trepidation.
For Meissa Chebbi, 21, who like hundreds of other young Swedes suffered debilitating narcolepsy after a mass vaccination campaign against the 2009-2010 swine flu pandemic, the vaccine is not something she will be rushing to get.
“I will never recommend that,” Chebbi told AFP when asked about taking a speedily developed vaccine.
“Unless you really have to take it because of life-threatening circumstances.”
the Scandanavian country had a nasty experience in 2009 after health authorities urged the public to take the Pandemrix vaccine against swine flu, made by British drug company GlaxoSmithKline.
More than 60 per cent heeded the call — the highest level in the world. But Chebbi and hundreds of others, primarily children and young adults under 30, were later diagnosed with narcolepsy as a side effect of the vaccine.
A link was eventually established to an adjuvant, or booster, in the Pandemrix vaccine which was intended to strengthen the immune response.
Narcolepsy is a chronic disorder of the nervous system that causes excessive and often uncontrollable drowsiness.
“I have sleep attacks all the time in all kinds of situations and at inappropriate times … In my food, at job interviews, at lectures, seminars, at university. I’ve fallen asleep at my workplace, I fall asleep on buses and everywhere,” Chebbi said.
“It has destroyed my life.”