Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2020, 10:32 pm

I put "Utah monolith" into Google Earth and got this:

old_comedywriter
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2020, 11:15 pm

It's the kind of stupid s**t Elon Musk would do.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2020, 4:18 am

They must have had a few surplus monoliths after completing that Dubai project. And some prankster got a hold of one of them. I am going with that theory.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2020, 9:23 am

In zoomed in photos of the structure, Reddit users noted there were lines by its base which suggested a rock saw had been used to put it in the ground and that it appeared to be held together with screws, dispelling the theory it could be one large hunk of metal.

The structure also caused controversy in the geography world, which took issue with Utah’s government using the word “monolith” to describe the object.

A monolith is technically a geographic feature made of stone, while this slab appears to be made of metal. Merriam Webster’s dictionary, however, allows for a looser interpretation of monolith as “a massive structure” and it is the word used to describe the structure director Stanley Kubrick made famous in 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Source: Theories abound over mystery metal monolith found in Utah

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2020, 7:52 pm

"It’s stainless steel. It’s put together with pop rivets," Utah Department of Public Safety spokesperson Lt. Nick Street told USA TODAY. "That kind of says it was definitely put together by humans.

This isn't the first unexplained monolith that's appeared in the U.S. in recent years, including one that seems much more closely connected to Kubrick's film "2001: A Space Odyssey." On the eve of 2001, a steel monolith was discovered on "a windswept hilltop" in Seattle’s Warren Magnuson Park, according to the Los Angeles Times. The monolith measured 1 foot by 4 feet by 9 feet — a tribute to the first three prime numbers squared and an understanding of mathematics, as described in Clarke's book. Three days after the monolith appeared in the park, it disappeared just as mysteriously.

Source: Why the mysterious Utah monolith is making many of us think about '2001'

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2020, 10:46 pm

The surviving members of "the Who" should gather at it for a photo op... and urinate on it! :lol:

link

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2020, 5:06 am

I was pondering that use of the word monolith for a metal object.
lith, litho = stone when used with other syllables.
lith = obsolete old English word for a joint of the body limbs when used by itself.
Which is all interesting but the object remains in no way whatsoever any manner of monolith,
it is neither stone nor an object of indivisible unity,

Quote:
monolith (n.)
"monument consisting of a single large block of stone," 1829, from French monolithe (16c.), from Latin monolithus (adj.) "consisting of a single stone," from Greek monolithos "made of one stone," from monos "single, alone" (from PIE root *men- (4) "small, isolated") + lithos "stone" (see litho-). Transferred and figurative use in reference to a thing or person noted for indivisible unity is from 1934.

https://www.etymonline.com/search?q=monolith

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2020, 1:16 pm

I was in Utah a few years back, I swear it wasn’t me.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2020, 8:10 pm

Fnord wrote:
It could be a stainless-steel sarcophagus for Donald Trump's conscience.

Seems a little too big for something so small

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2020, 8:11 pm

jimmy m wrote:
"It’s stainless steel. It’s put together with pop rivets," Utah Department of Public Safety spokesperson Lt. Nick Street told USA TODAY. "That kind of says it was definitely put together by humans.

Lost interest the moment I read this.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

27 Nov 2020, 9:26 am

It took just 48 hours for the first person to get there. (BBC News link)

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2020, 9:36 am

cyberdad wrote:
jimmy m wrote:

Yep.

We were all expecting this...

But all it is is more like this...

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2020, 9:52 am

Video from the dozens - perhaps even hundreds of people - who have already visited the location suggest a professional job. Three large sheets of what appears to be stainless steel were riveted together, with the inside left hollow. Whoever put it there used heavy-duty tools to cut into the bedrock and embed the structure.

"One person alone could not have done it so there is a group of people who have some knowledge of it somewhere," said Wendy Wischer of the University of Utah's School of Fine Art. "Most artists want some recognition for what they are doing but this seems to include a level of humour and mystery as part of the intention."

"The genie is out of the bottle," said Cpl Andrew Battenfield, when told people had been turning up and posting pictures on social media. "It's a free country."

Tempus Fugit
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2020, 4:21 pm

Cornflake wrote:

Place looks like Mars.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2020, 5:08 pm

Tempus Fugit wrote:
Cornflake wrote:

Place looks like Mars.

Red rock region in Utah does look similar.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2020, 10:27 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
jimmy m wrote:

Yep.

We were all expecting this...

But all it is is more like this...

I would be a little suspicious if aliens used rivets purchased from the local hardware store :lol: