Page 1 of 7 [ 107 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2020, 10:33 am

Massive downtown Nashville explosion an 'intentional act', police say

Quote:
Nashville authorities believe an explosion that occurred in downtown Nashville early Christmas morning was an "intentional act" and sparked by a vehicle.

Police responded to reports of a suspicious vehicle parked outside the AT&T building just before 6 a.m. Upon arrival, police said an officer "had reason" to alert the department's hazardous devices unit, which was en route, when a "significant explosion" happened.

Three people were hospitalized with injuries, police said

Police and firefighters responded to an area near Second Avenue and Commerce Street about 6:45 a.m. Friday.

The fire department confirmed a bomb squad was on the scene with an active investigation by Metro police and federal agencies.

Mayor John Cooper said he toured the damage, describing broken glass and water mains with insulation "blown up" into the trees. He estimated about 20 buildings had been impacted.

"It looks like a bomb went off," he said. He said it was too soon for any conclusions but said updates will be given Saturday morning.

The downtown area will be "sealed off" for further investigation and to make sure everything is "completely safe," according to Cooper.

Images and videos taken in the area showed flames and smoke — which could also be seen from miles away. Alarms inside several buildings were heard going off with water pouring into some buildings with structural damage and broken windows.

Trees lining Second Avenue were blackened from the incident.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2020, 10:50 am

According to social media posts, the explosion resulted in significant damage to a building that was on fire, with dozens of people evacuated. According to Jason Steen, "Large explosion in downtown Nashville "heavy structural damage".. evacuting lofts @ 2nd/Commerce - per Nashville Fire radio traffic - some walking out on their own - glass and steel 'EVERYWHERE' - 2nd/Union staging" "Building is "devastated", vehicles on road are burning, NFD is about to extinguish them with water from Engine 9 - most human injuries so far are non-life-threatening." "NFD reports "20-30 people evacuated" from upper lofts - <5 require medical attention at this time, calling them the "walking wounded" w/non-serious injuries" "A building has collapsed as a result of the explosion in downtown Nashville. NFD is retreating immediately - with all personnel accounted for and evacuating the building now."

Apparently the building destroyed was a downtown apartment building. It was a parked RV that exploded.

Source: Explosion that rocked Nashville on Christmas morning appears to be 'intentional act,' police say

Udinaas
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2020, 11:18 am

Since it was at an AT&T building it was probably one of the 5G conspiracy people. They'll say 5G made him do it in order to discredit them.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2020, 11:37 am

Police previously tweeted the explosion took place outside 166 2nd Avenue N. downtown. The street is on the edge of the Tennessee city's hospitality and tourist district in an old, historic part of town.

Second Avenue — or Market Street, as it was known until 1903 — contains the largest concentration of Victorian commercial facades in Nashville, with many of the two- to five-story buildings dating from 1870 to 1890. The Silver Dollar Saloon, now part of the Hard Rock Café, on the corner of Second Avenue and Broadway, served as an entertainment venue for riverboat workers.

At least 20 buildings were damaged, Nashville Mayor John Cooper said.

Nashville Police received a shots fired call just before 6:00 on Christmas morning near Second Avenue. When officers arrived, they saw no immediate evidence of shots fired, but they encountered a suspicious vehicle - an RV that was parked in front of AT&T building on Second Avenue. As the hazardous devices unit was responding, the RV exploded at 6:30 am.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2020, 11:38 am

Oh my. :(
Be it a good idea or a bad idea I went looking up other news about the thing.

Will be interesting to see what is found about those reports,

Quote:
Witnesses told investigators they heard gunshots early in the morning and a message coming from an RV parked in the street warning anyone in the area to evacuate. Officers said they are looking into these reports.

https://www.newschannel5.com/news/explo ... estigating

A wish that is most likely to not come true is that I wish people would just stop doing this kind of stuff.
:(

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2020, 11:46 am

Looking at Google Maps, the AT&T building that reports say RV was in front of is at 3rd and Commerce.
https://www.google.com/maps/dir///@36.1 ... !1e1?hl=en

But then looking at Street View at 166 2nd Ave North where some reports say RV was there is a very large unlabeled building on odd number side of street, is it an AT&T building too?
https://www.google.com/maps/@36.163557, ... 8192?hl=en

Wait a minute, I see it now, the unlabeled huge brick building on 2nd Ave does have a small AT&T sign on it.

It's early and I'm moving slow. :(

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2020, 12:00 pm

jimmy m wrote:
Second Avenue — or Market Street, as it was known until 1903 — contains the largest concentration of Victorian commercial facades in Nashville, with many of the two- to five-story buildings dating from 1870 to 1890. The Silver Dollar Saloon, now part of the Hard Rock Café, on the corner of Second Avenue and Broadway, served as an entertainment venue for riverboat workers.

Am looking at Google Street View, those are some grand examples of that architecture.
Sad that someone's agenda has hurt people and damaged or destroyed those.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2020, 12:24 pm

kitesandtrainsandcats wrote:
Oh my. :(
Be it a good idea or a bad idea I went looking up other news about the thing.

Will be interesting to see what is found about those reports,
Quote:
Witnesses told investigators they heard gunshots early in the morning and a message coming from an RV parked in the street warning anyone in the area to evacuate. Officers said they are looking into these reports.

https://www.newschannel5.com/news/explo ... estigating

A wish that is most likely to not come true is that I wish people would just stop doing this kind of stuff.
:(

I speculate based on the above and the timing of the bombing the idea was to kill cops not civilians.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2020, 12:33 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
I speculate based on the above and the timing of the bombing the idea was to kill cops not civilians.
Sad as it is, from what the news is saying about timing, especially the bomb squad arrival time, I can not fault that logic.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2020, 1:12 pm

Phil Williams News Channel 5:

“BREAKING: Security video and eyewitness report that there was a recording, warning people to evacuate, before RV exploded in downtown Nashville. There appears to be little doubt now that this was an act of terrorism. “

“The Nashville bomb was detonated outside an AT&T switching facility, raising the question about whether the company was the target. AT&T is viewed as a sinister force by some in our society.”

We have come to think of terrorism in this century as intentional acts to kill civilians. First with Jahidist bombings and more recently alt right mass shootings. For those of us around at the end of the 60s and the 70s destroy cooperate property not people terrorism brings back memories. It was common at the time for warning calls to be given prior to bombs going off. The bombs often went off at a time of day when nobody would be around. The targets were often cooperate offices or campus facilities where corporate research went on. There were hundreds of these types of attacks per year.

This seems to be a more professional effort then the 70s predecessors. Those bombs were mostly small, breaking some glass, maybe knocking down a wall. If people got hurt or killed back then it was usually the result of bomber incompetence or the warnings being ignored because faux bomb threats were so commonplace.

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 25 Dec 2020, 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2020, 1:31 pm

This was - apparently - the audio warning being played before the explosion.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2020, 1:44 pm

Wow. First time ive seen that video. ^^^

Very slick recording. A woman's voice with beeps. Saying to evacuate now. Then the explosion.

The two theories so far that Ive heard are that they were targeting police, or that they targeting a building.

Obviously it was deliberate, and obviously they were trying avoid civilian casualties.

I guess that they see themselves as being "a better class of terrorists".

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2020, 4:18 pm

AT&T outage reported: Planes grounded, 911 disrupted in wake of Nashville explosion

Quote:
Widespread 911 issues in the Nashville area were reported after AT&T wireless and internet service were disrupted on Friday hours following a massive explosion downtown.

AT&T internet and phone service were disrupted in the area about 12 p.m. Friday.

Users around the country reported disruptions in service, but there was a concentration in the Nashville area and Middle Tennessee, growing in reach from Kentucky to Alabama as more reports came in.

A handful of local police departments reported the outage was disrupting 911 access, including some non-emergency lines, in their jurisdictions. Most took to social media to share landlines and alternate access numbers where residents could seek emergency assistance.

The Federal Aviation Administration halted flights leaving Nashville International Airport temporarily around 2:30 p.m. Friday after "telecommunications issues" affected the airport.

Officials said they hoped the issue would be resolved later in the afternoon.

An AT&T spokesman confirmed the outage was linked to the explosion:

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2020, 9:39 pm

Two law enforcement officials told The Associated Press that human remains were found in the vicinity of the explosion. It was unclear how the remains were related to the explosion or whether they might belong to the person believed to be responsible or a victim. (It seems they only recovered human tissue.)

AT&T said the affected building is the central office of a telephone exchange, with network equipment in it. The blast interrupted service, but the company declined to say how widespread outages were. The AT&T outages site showed service issues in middle Tennessee and Kentucky, including Bowling Green about 65 miles (105 kilometers) north of Nashville. Several police agencies reported that their 911 systems were down because of the outage, including Murfreesboro and Knox County, home to Knoxville about 180 miles (290 kilometers) east of Nashville. The Federal Aviation Administration temporarily halted flights out of Nashville International Airport because of telecommunications issues associated with the explosion.

Source: Human remains found near downtown Nashville explosion, AP sources say

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2020, 11:59 pm

So gunshots early on before the explosion. I wonder if those had anything to do with the explosion to come? Maybe somebody was fighting over it?

And what is the purpose of this explosion? Clearly, they didn't want to hurt civilians, but maybe they wanted to target cops? And if not cops, then what? The explosion seemed to knock out a lot of phone service, so it was quite disruptive. Was that the purpose of it? Is there any group that will take responsibility for it?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2020, 12:31 am