Page 13 of 13 [ 197 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2021, 1:29 pm

Cornflake wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Well Brictoria emphasised the need for WP members to use "attempted" otherwise we open Alex for legal action.
Actually, the Terms Of Use for Wrong Planet state: "As a registered member, you are held solely and personally responsible for any libelous, defamatory, or slanderous remarks about a person or company made in your posts."

Although, having pointed that out, I'd hazard a guess that most, if not all of what's been said here and elsewhere would be allowable as "free comment" or "opinion".
But I am not a lawyer and, AFAIK, neither is Brictoria.

If Brictoria is a lawyer, they're not a very good one. Else they'd know that if you are a lawyer, and you give legal advice to someone, even casually over the internet, you can be held accountable for the advice given - which is why most REAL lawyers preface everything with "this is NOT legal advice, I am not advising you", IF they openly opine in the first place.

@ Pepe

Nooooo... Courts do NOT "have to be pedantic". Courts have to be SPECIFIC, and PROCEDURAL. If courts had to be PEDANTIC, then judges wouldn't have the leniency they do to exercise their own judgement, rather than scrutinously following the exact verbatim literal letter of the law.

Seeing as Brictoria ISN'T a legal council, their interpretation is non-expert testimony. An actual lawyer would probably know that, too. Brictoria is welcome to opine aloud all they want. But nobody is obligated to take it seriously, no matter how impressed you are with their ability to agree with you.

@Brictoria

So, people AREN'T making excuses for Soho Karen?

It would be a shame if people were more concerned with the exact word used to describe an adult attacking a minor, than the fact that an adult attacked a minor. Second time I've had to say that now. Sad.

----

I'll add "making excuses isn't making excuses" to the list of things-that-aren't-things.

Need more popcorn. Too funny :roll: :lol:

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2021, 2:22 pm

What is not funny is that according to a videotape, she physically ‘tackled ‘a 14-year-old boy.
Not an adult.
His father was standing right there.
You address your suspicions, issues, accusations to the PARENT.
Nothing has been presented here or elsewhere in the media to indicate that there has been any sign from her that she will never hurt or frighten a child again.
I personally feel there is reason for concern for future potentially violent behavior and verbal aggression.

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2021, 2:33 pm

Cornflake wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Well Brictoria emphasised the need for WP members to use "attempted" otherwise we open Alex for legal action.
Actually, the Terms Of Use for Wrong Planet state: "As a registered member, you are held solely and personally responsible for any libelous, defamatory, or slanderous remarks about a person or company made in your posts."

This reminds me of a college business law 101 class.

A gym put a notice inside their locker rooms that members were responsible if member's property was stolen.

However, in this teaching example, the courts ruled that a business owner cannot obviate legal responsibility by simply making a notice that others are responsible.

Much of the law is about *reasonableness*, as in, was a reasonable effort made.

The notice is *no effort*, rather than a *reasonable effort*.

Be the hero of your life.

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2021, 4:02 pm

Does anyone but me wonder if an agitated black woman had (apparently, on videotape) tackled a 14-year-old white boy while his well-to-do Grammy-winning white (I know, redundant) father was standing there, would that woman have been arrested?
Would the news media have been more upset?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2021, 5:48 pm

Sylkat wrote:
Does anyone but me wonder if an agitated black woman had (apparently, on videotape) tackled a 14-year-old white boy while his well-to-do Grammy-winning white (I know, redundant) father was standing there, would that woman have been arrested?
Would the news media have been more upset?

For one thing the hotel staff would have thrown the black woman out before the situation escalated. I used to know a guy who worked in the hotel industry and he says that any hotel 3 stars and up make it their business to know if they have a celebrity guest and will go out of their way to treat them like royalty to get their return business or recommendation to other celebrities.

The hotel staff/management would never allow a 22yr old screaming black woman 100 yards from a grammy award winning white musician, especially over something as trivial as a mobile phone (I mean even homeless people have mobile phones).

The hotel staff royally stuffed up and the management are in damage control with their name being associated with staff racially profiling their most wealthiest/famous guest. Their name would be mud.