Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2022, 1:14 pm

Family of five sentenced for storming the US Capitol on January 6

Quote:
A Texas family of five was sentenced together on Wednesday for storming the Capitol on January 6, with the two parents getting jail time and three adult children given probation and some home confinement.

The Munn family from Borger, Texas, was among some of the first to enter the Capitol on January 6, climbing through a broken window and making their way through the crypt and the visitor center before entering a Senate conference room, according to their sentencing memos.

Parents Dawn and Thomas Munn were reprimanded by DC Chief Judge Beryl Howell for bringing four of their eight children – three adults and one minor child – to Washington with the intent to investigate the results of the 2020 election.

Before being sentenced, Dawn Munn said she was in Washington in order to get answers about whether the 2020 election was secure.

“I was looking for somebody to show me proof that our election was going to be secure,” Dawn Munn said. “If we don’t have a secure election, we don’t have a country. This is a country by the voice of the people.”

Howell said that didn’t justify violence.

“There is no question that can justify disrupting the democratic process,” Howell said.

In explaining his reason for traveling to DC, Thomas Munn told the judge he had never been political before but “I just kept watching what was happening on the news, and I felt we should speak out.”

Dawn and Thomas Munn were sentenced to 14 days behind bars. Their adult children, Kayli, Joshua and Kristi, were sentenced to probation and some home confinement.

Before the Capitol attack, Thomas Munn had encouraged others to travel to DC for January 6 through social media posts and, in the wake of the riot, several of the Munns posted on social media that they were at the Capitol that day.

“These were fighting words that only contributed to the misinformation about January 6,” Howell said of some of their posts.

Kristi Munn, the oldest of the eight Munn children, received 90 days of home detention in addition to probation. Howell said that Kristi, as a mother of three, possessed the judgment to realize that she was engaging in criminal activity and could have made her own decision not to enter the Capitol.

“I wish I had slowed down,” Kristi Munn said when addressing the court Wednesday. “I very much want to give a better example for my siblings.”

Joshua Munn had an unnamed physical ailment as a child that left him temporarily paralyzed for an unspecified amount of time. He has been physically disabled since and this was highlighted by Howell, who went on to task Dawn Munn for being a nurse and a mother and still “forcing” her son to march on the Capitol.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2022, 11:49 pm

Well, the family that commits treason together gets jailed for a season together!

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2022, 6:21 am

14 days of jail?

Doesn’t this seem a tad light?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2022, 3:16 pm

blazingstar wrote:
14 days of jail?

It is. But the fact that a whole family was involved probably influenced the light sentence.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2022, 5:48 pm

blazingstar wrote:
14 days of jail?

Well lets see. They didn't try to assault anyone. They didn't commit any vandalism.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2022, 6:40 pm

Matrix Glitch wrote:
blazingstar wrote:
14 days of jail?

Well lets see. They didn't try to assault anyone. They didn't commit any vandalism.

Trespassing, among other charges, I'm sure.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2022, 7:52 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
blazingstar wrote:
14 days of jail?

14 days in jail isn't a light sentence for trespassing.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2022, 10:55 pm

Matrix Glitch wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
blazingstar wrote:
14 days of jail?

"... among other charges," I had said.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2022, 11:40 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
blazingstar wrote:
14 days of jail?

"... among other charges," I had said.

The exact, full and complete charge was: "Parading, demonstrating or picketing in a Capitol building."

https://abc7amarillo.com/news/local/bor ... of-justice

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2022, 12:10 am

^^^
One has to take into consideration the intent of the Oath Keepers who had led the mob into the building, which was of course the overturning of a legal election by means of violent intimidation, which that family had been part of.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2022, 1:42 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
^^^
One has to take into consideration the intent of the Oath Keepers who had led the mob into the building, which was of course the overturning of a legal election by means of violent intimidation, which that family had been part of.

Sorry but you can't add to or change the verdict. It is what it is. "Parading, demonstrating or picketing in a Capitol building."

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2022, 2:09 am

The vast majority of these cases have had extremely light jail sentences. Only leadership is getting stronger sentencing.

beady
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2022, 2:16 am

The legal translation of each term will contain a broader explanation for how their misdeeds and illegal behavior is interpreted and punished by the court.

Obviously, we aren’t talking about a fourth a July parade here.

Words like “obtuse” come to mind.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2022, 2:19 am

Matrix Glitch wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
^^^

Sorry but you can't add to or change the verdict. It is what it is. "Parading, demonstrating or picketing in a Capitol building."

I'm not adding to it. I'm explaining the context of the verdict and punishment.

TwisterUprocker
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Oct 2022, 3:07 am

To clarify all of the family members received three years probation, the parents 14 days in jail, and 90 days house arrest for one of the daughters.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2023, 2:48 pm

blazingstar wrote:
14 days of jail?

They climbed through a broken window, but they're not the ones who broke the window. So, if they personally didn't physically attack anyone or threaten to do so, and if they personally didn't steal or damage anything, and if they personally weren't part of the relatively small group that actually planned/conspired to do things like break windows, then they probably weren't guilty of much more than just trespassing. Hence the light sentence.

Among the people who participated in the Capitol riot, different people are guilty of different things. Only a minority can be said to have engaged in full-fledged insurrection.