House Dems: trump’s Capitol Insurrectionists had inside help

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2021, 2:01 pm

https://www.mic.com/p/house-democrats-a ... p-55294027

Anyone here still want to pretend this wasn’t an attempted coup by treasonous insurrectionists? :chin:

All of those involved should die in jail - especially elected officials assisting with this craziness.

TRE45ON! Indeed.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2021, 2:04 pm

This is how you do it, Goldie...

<center><b><i><size=200><color=black>TRE</color><color=red>45</color><color=black>ON!!</color></size></i></b></center>

... just replace '<' with '[' and '> with ']'.

:D

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2021, 2:10 pm

Fnord wrote:
This is how you do it, Goldie...

<center><b><i><size=200><color=black>TRE</color><color=red>45</color><color=black>ON!!</color></size></i></b></center>

... just replace '<' with '[' and '> with ']'.

:D

That’s a lot of typytypetype to do from my phone tho. Have Only had my iphone6 as an series-of-tubes (credit: g dubya) device for probably a year or so now.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2021, 2:14 pm

How else could those crazy nuts have gotten in the Capitol?

Via Capitol Police loyal to Trump...

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2021, 2:16 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
How else could those crazy nuts have gotten in the Capitol?

Via Capitol Police loyal to Trump...

And republicans who went along with the plan. And military who also delayed assistance etc. There are a ton of trump loyalists who’s careers are about to be ended once the FBI gets through investigating all of this. Like they said, the 100 or so arrests so far are just the tip of the iceberg.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2021, 2:19 pm

No doubt....heads will be rolling....and most deservedly so!

If we let this slide, it will not bode well for the democratic future of the United States.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2021, 2:20 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
How else could those crazy nuts have gotten in the Capitol?  Via Capitol Police loyal to Trump...
And republicans who went along with the plan. And military who also delayed assistance etc. There are a ton of trump loyalists who’s careers are about to be ended once the FBI gets through investigating all of this. Like they said, the 100 or so arrests so far are just the tip of the iceberg.
The elder who walked into church while wearing a MAGA hat is even now being "counseled" by our pastor.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Bravo5150
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2021, 2:22 pm

I have heard a few people IRL try to tell me that storming the capitol was all the fault of antifa and BLM

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2021, 4:56 pm

Fnord wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
How else could those crazy nuts have gotten in the Capitol?  Via Capitol Police loyal to Trump...
The elder who walked into church while wearing a MAGA hat is even now being "counseled" by our pastor.

As he should be. God would want your pastor to counsel elder members of their congregation displaying clear signs of hatred and/or dementia.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2021, 4:56 pm

Democratic lawmakers warn Capitol rioters had ‘inside assistance’ as details emerge from insurrection

Quote:
Democratic lawmakers are investigating whether members of Congress gave Capitol tours to rioters before a deadly insurrection on 6 January.

The probe follows speculation that Republican members of Congress and Capitol Police may have played a role organising or enabling a deadly mob in support of Donald Trump’s attempts to overturn the results of the 2020 presidential election he insists was “stolen” from them.

Democratic Congressman Tim Ryan of Ohio, who chairs a Capitol Police oversight committee, said that an investigation is centred around more than one lawmaker who gave tours to “handfuls” of people at the Capitol the day before the riot.

In a damning speech on the House floor on Wednesday as lawmakers convened to impeach the president for his role inciting an insurrection inside the halls of Congress, Louisiana Democratic Congressman Cedric Richmond condemned “some of my colleagues, some of whom may well be co-conspirators” in the attack.

More footage from the chaos and aftermath of the insurrection shows rioters planning to break into congressional offices. Democratic House lawmakers have also started to reveal disturbing details from the chaos, illustrating the scale of the attack.

US Attorney for Washington DC Michael Sherwin told reporters on Tuesday that “people will be shocked by the egregious conduct that happened within the Capitol” as cases emerge.

New Jersey Congresswoman Mikie Sherill said she believes sitting members brought groups into the Capitol on 5 January as “reconnaissance for the next day.”

The congresswoman did not specify what groups received a tour of the Capitol or name the lawmakers who guided them.

Democratic Congressman Tim Ryan of Ohio has reported that at least two Capitol Police officers have been suspended and more than a dozen others are under investigation.

Ahead of the riot, pro-Trump Republican Congresswoman Marjorie Taylor Greene – who had refused to wear a mask at the Capitol – referred to the joint session of Congress to certify electoral college votes as “our 1776 moment.”

On Twitter during the attacks, newly elected Republican Congresswoman Lauren Boebert posted Speaker Pelosi’s movements to her more than 300,000 followers. That morning, she wrote: “Today is 1776.”

The congresswoman has also pledged to carry her Glock handgun at the Capitol..

At least one person directly involved with events surrounding the riot has claimed to have had help from elected officials.

Far-right activist Ali Alexander, among leaders in the “stop the steal” effort and rally that preceded the attack, said in a now-removed Periscope video that he coordinated plans with three House Republicans who had pledged to overturn election results.

Alexander pointed to Congressmembers Andy Biggs and Paul Gosar of Arizona and Mo Brooks of Alabama, among House Republican who objected to Electoral College results following the president’s campaign to undermine Americans voters with baseless fraud allegations and conspiracies.

“We four schemed up putting maximum pressure on Congress while they were voting,” Alexander said in the video. “Who we couldn’t rally, we could change the hearts and the minds of Republicans who were in that body, hearing our loud roar from outside.”

What Is Treason?
Quote:
Treason is the only crime defined in the U.S. Constitution. According to Article III, Section 3:

Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort. No Person shall be convicted of Treason unless on the Testimony of two Witnesses to the same overt Act, or on Confession in open Court.

This section authorizes Congress to set the penalties for treason but not to change the definition or create degrees of treason. The federal treason statute, 18 U.S.C. § 2381, mirrors the Constitution’s language and imposes minimum penalties of five years’ imprisonment and a $10,000 fine. A conviction bars the defendant from holding any federal office and carries the possibility of the death penalty.

The elements of treason are the same under state and federal law:

the defendant owes allegiance to the government, and
the defendant intentionally betrays that allegiance by either
levying war against the government, or
giving aid or comfort to the government’s enemies.

Levying war isn’t limited to formally declaring war. It includes any forcible opposition to the execution of a public law. Such “forcible opposition” ordinarily requires actual use of force by multiple people with the common purpose of preventing some law

Providing aid or comfort to the enemy covers a variety of actions, from providing financial assistance to harboring an enemy soldier. Any intentional act that furthers the enemy’s hostile designs or weakens the United States gives aid and comfort to, and “adheres to,” the enemy.

In order to prove treason, the prosecution needs either a confession or two witnesses testifying to the same “overt act” by the defendant. An overt act is an act that shows criminal intent and furthers the accomplishment of a crime. But, the overt act doesn’t have to be a crime itself. A wide range of actions can qualify as overt treasonous acts, from making online posts to providing weapons and ammunition. The key consideration is whether the defendant took the action with the intention of carrying out or furthering treason.

Treason charges must specify the relevant overt acts, including where they took place. It isn’t necessary that all the participants commit the same overt act; different participants can commit different overt acts as part of one treasonous plan. If the government alleges multiple overt acts, it need prove only one of them by two witnesses.

Treason is related and similar to several crimes. More than one criminal statute can apply to the same conduct, meaning that something falling short of treason may constitute another offense.

Sedition. Sedition (called seditious conspiracy in the law) involves conspiring to overthrow or destroy the government by force. Unlike treason, seditious conspiracy doesn’t require that the defendant owe allegiance to the United States. (For more on conspiracy generally, see Conspiracy: Laws and Penalties.)

Insurrection or rebellion. Insurrection involves inciting, assisting, or engaging in an act of open resistance against the authority, laws, or operations of the government.

The above was enlightening. I always assumed levying war with aiding an enemy at war. It would seem the rioters are guilty of treason by levying war. Trump may very well be guilty of incitement

If the charges are true the congressmen deserve the death penelty.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 13 Jan 2021, 5:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2021, 5:09 pm

Time to name and shame these Benedict Arnolds

roronoa79
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2021, 6:39 pm

"Guys, this wasn't an insurrection! This was just an armed mob, organized and incited by an outgoing president, breaking into a democratically elected legislature, with the intent of forcing opposition politicians to keep that president in power, and being actively assisted and encouraged by some members of the president's party."

Maybe this time we'll be able to convince more republicans to convict him than a number I can count on one hand :D I'm certainly not holding my breath.

Δυνατὰ δὲ οἱ προύχοντες πράσσουσι καὶ οἱ ἀσθενεῖς ξυγχωροῦσιν.
Those with power do what their power permits, and the weak can only acquiesce.

- Thucydides

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2021, 6:54 pm

roronoa79 wrote:
Maybe this time we'll be able to convince more republicans to convict him than a number I can count on one hand :D I'm certainly not holding my breath.

Does the GOP know the difference between right and wrong anymore?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2021, 7:20 pm

In the last impeachment trial, only one Republican voted for conviction on ONE of the articles. Even this Republican didn't vote for both articles.

Redd_Kross
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2021, 9:35 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
In the last impeachment trial, only one Republican voted for conviction on ONE of the articles. Even this Republican didn't vote for both articles.

That might be changing.

There seems to be a dawning realisation among the rats that going down with the sinking ship might not be a good idea.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2021, 10:44 pm

It would be interesting to find out more about this...It seems Catherine Herridge (CBS) is reporting that there appears to have been a trained, organised group behind what happened:

Quote:
#CapitolRiot SCOOP: A law enforcement official confirms @CBSNews the identification of individuals using military or “small unit tactics” is among the "highest priorities" for DC US Attorney's Sedition Task Force. Video footage + eyewitness accounts of the apparent use of these

Quote:
tactics (trained to military + law enforcement) drew immediate scrutiny from investigators. CBS News has learned these tactics were witnessed both OUTSIDE + INSIDE the Capitol Building. NOTE: These tactics are commonly used in hostile, unknown environments to clear rooms + reach

Quote:
mission objectives. They can include hand signals or physical contact, to unify the group + communicate directions. These are TRAINED behaviors (my emphasis) @USAO_DC #OriginalReporting

Source: https://twitter.com/CBS_Herridge/status/1349514123986526210

It will be interesting to see what is found (if anything) as a result of this.