Suit - Police killed autistic teen by sitting on him

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2021, 6:39 am

A teen with autism died after Louisiana deputies sat on him for 9 minutes, parents' lawsuit says

Quote:
The parents of a 16-year-old with severe autism who died last year are suing the Jefferson Parish, Louisiana, sheriff, claiming the teen's death was caused by deputies who restrained and sat on him for 9 minutes.

"Never did we ever think that our 16-year-old son with special needs would die in front of our eyes at his age and in the hands of law enforcement," Donna Lou, the mother of the teen, Eric Parsa, said Thursday in a news conference.

Deputies responded in January 2020 to a shopping center in Metairie, a suburb of New Orleans, as Eric experienced a "meltdown" related to his autism, according to the lawsuit and the family's attorneys.

They handcuffed Eric, shackled his feet and restrained him face down on the pavement of the shopping center's parking lot, putting immense pressure on his back, according to the lawsuit, which calls the use of force "excessive" and "unreasonable."

Over the course of 9 minutes and 6 seconds, deputies failed to put Eric in a "recovery position" after subduing him that would have prevented the teenager from suffocating, the lawsuit says.

The Jefferson Parish Sheriff's Office (JPSO) said the lawsuit contained false and "malicious accusations" against the deputies.
"This case centers on a severely autistic teenager diagnosed with numerous other mental conditions which caused him to have frequent violent outbursts," the statement said, noting Eric attacked and bit his father."Deputies allowed the teenager's mother constant access to remain close to her son on the scene so that she could help first responders in defusing her son's violent behavior."

The lawsuit filed in US District Court in the Eastern District of Louisiana also names a number of JPSO sheriff's deputies and the owners of the shopping center where the incident occurred, claiming violations of Eric's and his parents' constitutional rights and violations of the Americans with Disabilities Act.

It seeks unspecified damages, but Lou said she and Eric's father are sharing their story to prevent another family from experiencing what they've gone through.

Eric and his parents were leaving a laser tag facility at the shopping center on January 19, 2020, when Eric began to "experience a sudden sensory outburst" related to his autism, the lawsuit says, and began slapping himself and slapping and grabbing his father.

The manager of the laser tag business, who was familiar with the family, asked Lou if she would like the manager to call police, and Lou said yes. The shopping center had hired security officers that included JPSO deputies, the lawsuit says.
An off-duty JPSO reserve deputy received the call from the laser tag manager, who informed him that Eric had autism and was in a "confrontation" outside with his father.

Cameras mounted outside the business captured the incident, showing Eric and his father grappling with each other for several minutes until the first deputy arrived, driving a JPSO SUV.

The video shows Eric, who was obese, slapping his father and the deputy, who got Eric on the ground face down. The deputy -- whom the lawsuit describes as an overweight man -- handcuffed Eric and sat on his back for the next 7 minutes, the lawsuit says. Lou remained on the ground next to Eric, trying to calm him.

Over the next several minutes, six more deputies arrived on the scene. One of them relieved the first deputy, getting on Eric's back and, at one point, putting him in a chokehold, according to the lawsuit. Each of the deputies was aware Eric had special needs, the lawsuit says, but none intervened to move Eric onto his side into a "recovery position."
"It wasn't until his body had gone limp and he had urinated on himself that deputies rolled him into 'recovery position,'" the lawsuit says. "By then it was too late."

The Jefferson Parish Coroner's Office classified the manner of death as an accident but said a contributing factor was the "prone positioning" Eric was in while restrained by deputies, according to the lawsuit.

At the time of his death, Eric was in high school, working on social and independent life skills. In 2017, his mother said, Eric won an award from Cox Communications New Orleans for working hard to conquer the hurdles he faced in day-to-day life.

Speculation:
Put an Autistic in a laser tag place?
Was this an ABA conditioning thing to try and get him used to sensory stimuli?

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2021, 7:43 am

Sounds familiar. But will there be protests?

Blue_Star
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Jan 2021, 8:16 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Put an Autistic in a laser tag place?

For some of us, yes, it's a blast!

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2021, 8:28 am

Yeah?

they also murdered Elijah Mclain an autistic black man, and no justice has been served yet in that case.

Did this killing of the autistic teen occur before or after Elijah Mclain? not that it matters that much seems the police can murder at will without facing actual consequences regardless. Last I heard even after it was public knowledge that the police who killed him uploading mocking pictures hat his grave site that they sent to other officers who also had a good laugh. Yet so far none of those cops who murdered him are facing any actual charges....they freaking beat a person who was trying to cooperate and then overdosed him with ketamine.

All he was doing was walking home after he had gone to get a drink from the nearby gas station and for that he was killed. simply for walking while black and autistic was what they brutally executed him on the streets for.

Blue_Star
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Jan 2021, 8:41 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Did this killing of the autistic teen occur before or after Elijah Mclain?

According to google, Elijah Mclain's death happened in 2019, so before.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2021, 9:02 am

Blue_Star wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Did this killing of the autistic teen occur before or after Elijah Mclain?

According to google, Elijah Mclain's death happened in 2019, so before.

seems to me they should probably stop murdering autistic people then, but who knows. I mean with no consequences for these kind of deaths what is to stop them repeating?

I also wonder if the officer who shot the one autistic kid not sure its the same one you are referring to or not, but I wonder if he will get charged with anything due to the child's life threatening injuries he inflicted.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2021, 11:18 am

Generally there are two sides to every story. So what is the other side?

"While the Sheriff's Office understands that all deaths are cause for sadness and a time for grieving, this lawsuit is rife with false claims and malicious accusations against the first responding deputies.

"This case centers on a severely autistic teenager diagnosed with numerous other mental conditions which caused him to have frequent violent outbursts. The teenager violently attacked his father in a Jefferson Parish parking lot. The teenager beat and bit his own father, causing significant visible bloody injuries. A bystander called the Sheriff's Office to respond to the scene.

"Once deputies arrived, they tried to control the violent teenager's outbursts to prevent him from again attacking his parents and first responders. Deputies allowed the teenager's mother constant access to remain close to her son on the scene so that she could help first responders in defusing her son's violent behavior.

The lawsuit says that the Jefferson Parish coroner identified Eric's cause of death as "Excited Delirium due to an Acute Psychotic Episode in the setting of Severe Autistic Spectrum Disorder and Disruptive Behavior Disorder."

The suit says the coroner also identified contributing factors to his death that included morbid obesity with prone positioning and cardiomegaly.

The manner of death was classified as an accident.

Source: Parents of teen with autism who died during arrest in Jefferson Parish files suit against sheriff, deputies

Bravo5150
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2021, 1:49 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Yeah?

they also murdered Elijah Mclain an autistic black man, and no justice has been served yet in that case.

Did this killing of the autistic teen occur before or after Elijah Mclain? not that it matters that much seems the police can murder at will without facing actual consequences regardless. Last I heard even after it was public knowledge that the police who killed him uploading mocking pictures hat his grave site that they sent to other officers who also had a good laugh. Yet so far none of those cops who murdered him are facing any actual charges....they freaking beat a person who was trying to cooperate and then overdosed him with ketamine.

All he was doing was walking home after he had gone to get a drink from the nearby gas station and for that he was killed. simply for walking while black and autistic was what they brutally executed him on the streets for.

In your opinion, is there any solution too brutal, cruel, or insensitive to addressing this type of issue? I was accused of being such when I told my counselor an idea I had for how to approach problems I have had with some law enforcement agencies.

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2021, 2:08 pm

Whenever i have been arrested, the police were nothing but courteous.

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

Bravo5150
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2021, 2:12 pm

theprisoner wrote:
Whenever i have been arrested, the police were nothing but courteous.

With the exception of dealings with one particular department, all encounters with the police seemed to be relentless gas lighting, making up rules, and other forms of bullying.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2021, 2:25 pm

So this teen was violent while black victims are never violent when dealing with police. Look at George Floyd.

But if I carried a taser to tase my child every time they attack me, I would be charged with child abuse for self defense.

Sorry, everyone here who has known me long enough know I hate violent people, including those with severe mental illnesses or severe autism.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Last edited by League_Girl on 16 Jan 2021, 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2021, 2:26 pm

Maybe in America It's bad. Where its run like a gestapo. But here in UK, Police are generally unarmed and polite, if you dont try to mess with them that is. I personally never had any problem with Police.

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

Bravo5150
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2021, 2:34 pm

theprisoner wrote:
Maybe in America It's bad. Where its run like a gestapo. But here in UK, Police are generally unarmed and polite, if you dont try to mess with them that is. I personally never had any problem with Police.

We are in different countries, that most likely is why we have different experiences. Most of the law enforcement I have dealt with seem to think that having weapons suddenly makes them immortal. I have heard very little about UK law enforcement abusing people of any social group. It is almost a daily occurrence of someone somewhere be it because black, disabled, or other being abused by police in the states.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2021, 2:52 pm

I hope that people get together and protest. Those of us at WP should start a protest and see how many people join us.

Bravo5150
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2021, 3:05 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I hope that people get together and protest. Those of us at WP should start a protest and see how many people join us.

I am working on drafting a couple of letters on the issue, one being aimed at a department head that explains how the officers in their department seem to be acting counterintuitively because their officers are ignoring the fact that violence for both political and nonpolitical reasons seems to be on the rise yet they give me reasons to avoid using my skills in rendering first aid to members of their department.

madbutnotmad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2021, 3:36 pm

This is an interesting subject, and interestingly enough, I perhaps have useful experience which may help with this particular incident.

I say this as I have autism spectrum disorder with prominent sensory impairment which causes significant hypersensitivity to auditory sensory information but also visual sensory stimulation, although, to the greater extent, duet to correct medication (old school tricyclic antidepressants called clomipromine), the frequency in which i have meltdowns is considerably less than when i was on normal NT modern antidepressants that raised the level of Norepinephrine (the neurotransmitter that increases hyper vigilance and fight and flight response).

I am also experienced at being man handled by the police when having a meltdown, in some cases, I have been assaulted without reason by several police officers at a time.

I also am a qualified instructor and coach in Judo, and am qualified to teach the entire white to black belt syllabus including (and perhaps especially) strangulation techniques. I also understand the safety risks and understand how dangerous such techniques are if done incorrectly.

In my experience, police officers generally do not have a good understanding of ASD and do not know the difference between antisocial behaviour and ASD caused sensory overload "meltdowns".

Meltdowns, you will know if you suffer from them, can look very much like antisocial behaviour but are in fact completely different for the following reason.

Antisocial behaviour is bad behaviour that is chosen by the person exhibiting the anti-social behaviour.
ASD sensory overload meltdowns, however, are involuntary neurological reactions caused by dysfunctional brain development which in turn can cause an individual to exhibit what looks like tantrum like or even violent behaviour.

Due to the cause being caused by ASD neurological dysfunction, meltdowns are NOT chosen BAD behaviour, but
as mentioned, involuntary and hard to avoid, as well as in some cases, hard to predict.

In my experiences, if a sensitive individual is exposed to sensory triggers (which can also include people having a go at them causing psychological distress or confusion), then it can take literally even just a few seconds to cause a meltdown.

When a person with ASD has a meltdown, the meltdown can not be stopped by an outside person using normal strategies and instead, are best treated in a "wait till it boils over" strategy.

During a meltdown, the individual with ASD enters the fight, flight and freeze response, and usually is stuck in FIGHT mode, and will remain in FIGHT mode and hyper vigilant until the Meltdown dissipates.

The best strategy is to allow the person some space and to get out the way of the firing line.
Wait for some time, and the person will eventually return to normal, perhaps due to exhaustion.

If people approach the individual in FIGHT mode and attempt to CONTROL that person using restraint,
the individual in FIGHT mode will perceive you as a threat to his/her well being and will likely FIGHT back.

So. In the case mentioned, in my opinion, what the police officers did was incorrect.

Now, with regards to using a strangle / choke hold to restrain an individual.
I do not understand why the police officers felt it necessary to use such a strategy, as chokes/strangles are fairly extreme but effective method to use to tame an assailant.

Strangles can be used safely, if applied for the appropriate amount of time. For example, 10 seconds of a full strangle (that blocks both of the main carotid arteries to the brain) should be sufficient to put most people under regardless as to the size of the person.

A person usually needs to keep a strangle on for an extreme amount of time before it causes death.
The time I have been advised on (as i have never killed anyone with a strangle) is 2 minutes.
After 2 minutes, it is possible for a person to survive, but the 2 min time period is what paramedics advise that will cause brain damage.

If the law enforcement agents used a choke technique instead (chokes apply force to block a persons airway).
Such use of Chokes, I personally advise against (although are still legal in competitive Judo), as if someone applies too much brute force against someones airway, i.e. their trachea aka windpipe, then there is always the danger of that the victims trachea may swell up from the inside and cause the victim to suffocate.

Without further information as to what occurred during this incident, I can see that there is a possibility that either of these scenarios may have happened.

Nonetheless, it is my opinion that regardless as to which of the two above scenario's did in fact happen,
neither were good police work and both, in my opinion are regarded as excessive force and incompetence on the part of the law enforcement officers.

This thread simply makes me even more adamant that some of us vulnerable "meltdown" ASD folk
need a safe sanctuary, where the people around you understand your condition and understand why you act in certain ways during certain circumstances.

But also to avoid the NT world, who simply do not understand the condition that you suffer from to be able to treat you in the appropriate manner.

After all, if someone had an epileptic fit, and someone choked them out, it would NOT BE ACCEPTABLE>

If any one tried to choke me out when i was having a meltdown, they may end up getting the tables turned on them,
as I am pretty good at strangles and chokes, the difference is, I won't cause their death through heavy handedness or incompetence.