Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2021, 4:27 pm

It turns out that the Capitol Hill rioters' failure to get into the House and Senate chambers, before the representatives and senators escaped to a secure location, is due largely to the heroism of one black police officer, Eugene Goodman:

- Black officer seen risking his life to lead Capitol mob away from Senate chamber hailed as a hero, CBS News, January 12, 2021.
- Capitol police officer who steered mob away from Senate chambers hailed a hero, Guardian (U.K.), Mon 11 Jan 2021.

Basically he created a distraction and deliberately got the the mob pissed off at himself, so they chased him up a flight of stairs instead of barging immediately into the Senate chamber, thereby allowing enough time for the senators to escape.

Without Goodman's action, we could have had a MUCH worse situation, with senators possibly getting killed or held hostage. (And, yes, some of the rioters had been preparing to do precisely the latter.)

Essentially Goodman used the rioters' own racism against them. Other black police officers had to endure quite a bit of racism from the rioters, according to the following story: Black Police Officers Describe The Racist Attacks They Faced As They Protected The Capitol, Buzzfeed, January 9, 2021.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2021, 5:28 pm

As the dust settles the reality sinks in....
One officer said that many of the widely spread images of smiling marauders, wandering the halls dressed in absurd costumes, had the effect of downplaying how well prepared some of the rioters were to overtake the building, and even to capture and kill Congress members.

“That was a heavily trained group of militia terrorists that attacked us,” said the officer, who has been with the department for more than a decade. “They had radios, we found them, they had two-way communicators and earpieces. They had bear spray. They had flash bangs ... They were prepared. They strategically put two IEDs, pipe bombs, in two different locations. These guys were military trained. A lot of them were former military,” the officer said, referring to two suspected pipe bombs that were found outside the headquarters of the Democratic National Committee and the Republican National Committee.

The officer even described coming face-to-face with police officers from across the country in the mob. He said some of them flashed their badges, telling him to let them through, and trying to explain that this was all part of a movement that was supposed to help.

So lets get this straight....after 9-11 Americans have been spending trillions of dollars on national security and yet a bunch of right wing terrorists can enter the capitol building with the intention of holding congressman hostage or killing them and be allowed to enter and leave without anyone from the FBI, NSA, CIA, Army, police etc etc doing a damn thing??

Somebody tell me this wasn't staged?

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2021, 6:41 pm

This man could have been killed.
He risked his life for the safety, the lives, of others.
That is what a hero is.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2021, 6:53 pm

This dude should get an citation/award. Literally the only man between another national terror situation echoing 9-11

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2021, 6:58 pm

Absolutely.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2021, 7:27 am

Agree with all of the sentiments above.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2021, 8:27 am

cyberdad wrote:
So lets get this straight....after 9-11 Americans have been spending trillions of dollars on national security and yet a bunch of right wing terrorists can enter the capitol building with the intention of holding congressman hostage or killing them and be allowed to enter and leave without anyone from the FBI, NSA, CIA, Army, police etc etc doing a damn thing??

The vast majority of white and or wealthy Americans believe they are at risk only from foreigners and people of color. Their privileged lives, (commonly called now a bubble) protects them from even the concept of any danger, especially from white people.

Also, the American president still wields the power to hamstring law enforcement on federal property.

No way this was staged. It was real and Americans need to take a hard look at themselves and what is going on.

People like the man in the article and the staffers who thought to grab the ballot box are amazing people in their dedication to their jobs and to our democracy.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2021, 9:02 am

I hope he gets a commendation and at least a raise in salary.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2021, 5:38 pm

i would bet that he is a marked man in that department. no good deed goes unpunished in this hellworld.

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2021, 5:47 pm

Perhaps he is so very high profile now that no one will dare harass him.
I hope so.

Last edited by Sylkat on 14 Jan 2021, 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2021, 5:51 pm

mee too.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2021, 10:07 pm

blazingstar wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

The vast majority of white and or wealthy Americans believe they are at risk only from foreigners and people of color. Their privileged lives, (commonly called now a bubble) protects them from even the concept of any danger, especially from white people.

Also, the American president still wields the power to hamstring law enforcement on federal property.

No way this was staged. It was real and Americans need to take a hard look at themselves and what is going on.

People like the man in the article and the staffers who thought to grab the ballot box are amazing people in their dedication to their jobs and to our democracy.

One of the rioters turns out to be FBI. So we have military, police and now intelligence taking part in the insurrection. This is like something out of the revolutionary history of a third world dictatorship.

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2021, 11:44 pm

Is there any chance the law enforcement personnel who’ve been identified in the videos were there undercover?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2021, 11:56 pm

Sylkat wrote:
Is there any chance the law enforcement personnel who’ve been identified in the videos were there undercover?

Given how under prepared they were I don't think they had anybody undercover

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2021, 5:34 am

Eugene Goodman honored personally at the Biden/Harris inauguration

His quick thinking against insurmountable armed MAGA hordes acknowledged by Biden/Harris administration (in their first act) as saving the lives of Nancy Pelosi and Mike Pence.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2021, 11:17 pm

Every black cop is my hero.

Om Nom 2024

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=26&start=645