Housing The Homeless In Shipping Containers.

Page 2 of 5 [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2021, 3:21 am

magz wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
There’s so many homeless in NYC.

On any train even during rush hour, you will see at least five homeless people for each train. That’s a conservative estimate.

How many homeless people you can smell in each train?

I think he said see (not smell)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2021, 7:23 am

Not that many of them really stink these days.

Many people donate clothes. And there are showers available in drop-in centers across the city.

The stink problem was much worse 10 years ago.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

11 Mar 2021, 7:48 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Not that many of them really stink these days.

Many people donate clothes. And there are showers available in drop-in centers across the city.

The stink problem was much worse 10 years ago.

That's good.

In a public toilet, I found directions to homeless shelter and city-run baths. I don't know exactly what else my city does but it seems the problem of homelessness is... managed on manageable level here.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2021, 9:34 am

I wish it was like that in NYC.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2021, 9:35 am

I wish I had one to bury for a combo tornado shelter/root cellar.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2021, 10:32 am

Base cost to build per Container

There are two regular sizes of shipping containers.

1) Size: 20x8x8 ft. covers a surface of 160 sq. ft.
2) Size: 40x8x8 covers a surface of 320 sq. ft.

The cost for the used container of 20 square ft. is between $1,500 and $3,000, whereas the cost for the 40 square ft. container is between $3,500 and $4,500.  Along with this budget, you will also require to pay the cost for labor (around $75-$150 per hour) and for the variations and adjustments needed to make the container comfortable and livable.  There are some ready-made shipping container houses.  They can be sold at comparatively low prices (i.e., $15,000).  The cost for the big, lavish, and comfortable houses is significantly high (more than $250,000).

Source:
 This Commercial Website 

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2021, 10:34 am

Misslizard wrote:

:D

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2021, 11:50 am

Pepe wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
Now....if the residents don’t mess the place up!

Most probably wouldn’t—but the hard-core mentally ill-drug addict might. Some might seek to sell the container material for scrap money to feed their habits.

This is realism.

I suspect there would be some stipulations in place to prevent selling the container, also from the look in some of the pictures they would be stacked into more of a building anyways...someone would certainly notice if someone was trying to scrap out their container.

Some hard core more mentally ill drug addicted may need more like a treatment facility than a shipping container unit though. But yeah sure there is the risk a more unstable person could cause damage to a unit, but then again they are supposed to be cost efficient so presumably it shouldn't be too devastating if a few trash their unit.

They would have to be extremely cost-efficient.

If it's more cost efficient than having them remain in the streets in tents, then that should be sufficient that said I don't think that would be as big a problem as some would be concerned about. Desperation brings out the worst in people a roof over your head does a lot to reduce that.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2021, 11:57 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Most probably wouldn’t—but the hard-core mentally ill-drug addict might. Some might seek to sell the container material for scrap money to feed their habits.

This is realism.

I suspect there would be some stipulations in place to prevent selling the container, also from the look in some of the pictures they would be stacked into more of a building anyways...someone would certainly notice if someone was trying to scrap out their container.

Some hard core more mentally ill drug addicted may need more like a treatment facility than a shipping container unit though. But yeah sure there is the risk a more unstable person could cause damage to a unit, but then again they are supposed to be cost efficient so presumably it shouldn't be too devastating if a few trash their unit.

If it's more cost efficient than having them remain in the streets in tents, then that should be sufficient that said I don't think that would be as big a problem as some would be concerned about. Desperation brings out the worst in people a roof over your head does a lot to reduce that.

There's factors beyond which housing is more cost-effective. Providing them with a fixed address increases the likelihood they'll be able to reenter the workforce. Getting hired with no fixed address can be pretty hard even if one has somewhere to get cleaned up.

Providing some sort of real housing helps with restoring routine and also makes it easier for social workers to keep in contact with the person.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2021, 12:05 pm

For many years now, I have been watching the tiny house movement. I get emails from time to time about new ones. So I see this as an extension of the tiny house movement AND therefore really support it because the idea, the size, etc. are already used by "regular" people. We are not creating some creepy storage place for the homeless. I like that.

Everyone should have someplace to live. And the tiny house designs make it possible for a very nice home to be made with just a few hundred square feet.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2021, 12:12 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

This is realism.

There's factors beyond which housing is more cost-effective. Providing them with a fixed address increases the likelihood they'll be able to reenter the workforce. Getting hired with no fixed address can be pretty hard even if one has somewhere to get cleaned up.

Providing some sort of real housing helps with restoring routine and also makes it easier for social workers to keep in contact with the person.

I am aware of that, I mean I personally don't care that much about the cost effectiveness just that is certainly the first thing some people think in regards to this, kinda thing and I figure long term at least it would be the case. I think the things you mention though are a bit more important than how much it would cost.

But yeah I was reading an article in my city of how having the police shuffle around the homeless people makes it very difficult for social workers and people to keep in contact with specific homeless people they are helping.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2021, 12:36 pm

Fnord wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

Perfect.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2021, 1:02 pm

Many people live in under 400 sq foot apartments in NYC.

My apartment, which is a duplex, is 650 square feet.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

11 Mar 2021, 1:58 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Many people live in under 400 sq foot apartments in NYC.

My apartment, which is a duplex, is 650 square feet.

Apartaments of that size are normal here, too. My family of four lives in 775 sq ft and it's considered decent. If I lived alone, I think I would easily fit in ~220.
I grew up in 800 sq ft apartament inhabited by 8.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2021, 6:31 pm

I’d love a house made of two of them!
I don’t like big rooms and high ceilings; they intimidate me....two of these would be perfect, I think!

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2021, 6:39 pm

Misslizard wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

Perfect.

Looks cool. 8)