Housing The Homeless In Shipping Containers.

Page 4 of 5 [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2021, 9:57 am

I’ve seen people buy old school buses and convert into homes.All the windows would be nice.One of those English double decker ones would have lots of room.

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2021, 8:20 pm

Personally, I have always liked trailers and trailerparks.
Small, quiet, just the space you need, perfect for older, disabled, low income, and everyone has a patio and a little yard.
Perfect!
:D

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2021, 8:49 pm

Sylkat wrote:
Personally, I have always liked trailers and trailerparks.
Small, quiet, just the space you need, perfect for older, disabled, low income, and everyone has a patio and a little yard.
Perfect!
:D

There are some Very Nice trailer parks around, too. And given the state of our real estate market (INSANE) they're probably Also populated by an ever "better," class of residents, too.. considering houses are well over $1M (The one I live in is probably around $1.3M or so today) and smaller townhouses in the suburbs are over $700k, condos not too far behind.. so, if you "only," have $400k to spend, a very nice trailer might be a better option than a super tiny condo.

Plus it's always awesome seeing pics on the internet of trailers with supercars parked at them.. priorities! :D

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2021, 9:55 pm

In my area, you can get a nice 35-foot second hand trailer for under $50,000.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2021, 9:57 pm

Sylkat wrote:
In my area, you can get a nice 35-foot second hand trailer for under $50,000.
I would rather get a brand new double-wide modular home; maybe even a triple-wide.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2021, 6:15 pm

We could open a Wrong Planet Trailer Park!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2021, 6:18 pm

I don't mind trailers----but they're more vulnerable to things like hurricanes and floods.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2021, 8:46 pm

They are a tornado’s favorite toy.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2021, 11:03 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I don't mind trailers----but they're more vulnerable to things like hurricanes and floods.

Plus fire departments won't even attempt to save them in case of fire.

Rexi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: "I know there's nothing we can do. But my heart can't accept it." "If this is real, then I want to change the future."

18 Mar 2021, 5:05 am

elbowgrease wrote:
Honestly, I think just modifying retired container ships to serve as permanent, stationary platforms for container "cities" isn't a bad idea. Part of the problem in some places is that there isn't anywhere to build housing, affordable or otherwise.

Underground? They sometimes used the sewers.

I think houses for 1 are not that space effective and lowcost. All they need are multiple public covered little spots where they can hide and sleep. But they steal each other's goods and shoes so they need assigned ones and keys maybe with a roommate or two.

Skyscrapers for the homeless.

Any topic, PM me; mind my profile.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2021, 7:21 am

Maybe a bit of tangent to the topic, or, maybe a bit of useful background, but to me at least, this history of the shipping container is interesting if you don't mind 544 page books,
Text below is from Amazon's website, photo of book is mine,

Quote:
Drawing on previously neglected sources, economist Marc Levinson shows how the container transformed economic geography, devastating traditional ports such as New York and London and fueling the growth of previously obscure ones, such as Oakland. By making shipping so cheap that industry could locate factories far from its customers, the container paved the way for Asia to become the world's workshop and brought consumers a previously unimaginable variety of low-cost products from around the globe.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2021, 10:43 am

Rexi wrote:
elbowgrease wrote:
Honestly, I think just modifying retired container ships to serve as permanent, stationary platforms for container "cities" isn't a bad idea. Part of the problem in some places is that there isn't anywhere to build housing, affordable or otherwise.

I think houses for 1 are not that space effective and lowcost. All they need are multiple public covered little spots where they can hide and sleep. But they steal each other's goods and shoes so they need assigned ones and keys maybe with a roommate or two.

They're not skyscrapers, persay.. but a lot of the housing we have here for homeless/hard to house people are old hotels & SRO's (Single Resident Occupancy - ~150sf rooms w/ a communal washroom on each floor) - basically small apartments. The City of Vancouver has bought several old hotels over the last decade to convert them for this purpose - including a couple from some notorious slumlords that allowed them to fall apart until the buildings were unsafe.. the City basically seized the buildings & is making them structurally sound and renovating them to provide more housing units for homeless people.

...but we still have thousands of people living on the streets, though. So many people are priced out of housing. Welfare rates are not high enough to even rent a room anywhere. And the climate is survivable year round in Vancouver - so there are homeless people from across the country here. Add in the opiate crisis and the closure of a major mental hospital a couple decades ago and it's the perfect storm to have a lot of ill, addicted, homeless people.

And then there are the ones who work full time and can't afford rent anywhere so they live outdoors or in their cars.

But, at least we do have these SRO's and hotels And some shipping container housing all providing small stacked homes for hundreds and hundreds - probably thousands - of people. Despite the shortfall & high demand, it's still better than nothing.

This is the largest shipping container apartment block here, and while the colour scheme isn't exactly my favourite, I do think that overall it looks quite nice & afaik it's working out quite well - people are housed, safe/warm/dry, and I think there are 24/7 staff there - security, outreach workers etc.

Rexi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: "I know there's nothing we can do. But my heart can't accept it." "If this is real, then I want to change the future."

20 Mar 2021, 3:06 am

goldfish21 wrote:
Rexi wrote:
elbowgrease wrote:

They're not skyscrapers, persay.. but a lot of the housing we have here for homeless/hard to house people are old hotels & SRO's (Single Resident Occupancy - ~150sf rooms w/ a communal washroom on each floor) - basically small apartments. The City of Vancouver has bought several old hotels over the last decade to convert them for this purpose - including a couple from some notorious slumlords that allowed them to fall apart until the buildings were unsafe.. the City basically seized the buildings & is making them structurally sound and renovating them to provide more housing units for homeless people.

...but we still have thousands of people living on the streets, though. So many people are priced out of housing. Welfare rates are not high enough to even rent a room anywhere. And the climate is survivable year round in Vancouver - so there are homeless people from across the country here. Add in the opiate crisis and the closure of a major mental hospital a couple decades ago and it's the perfect storm to have a lot of ill, addicted, homeless people.

And then there are the ones who work full time and can't afford rent anywhere so they live outdoors or in their cars.

But, at least we do have these SRO's and hotels And some shipping container housing all providing small stacked homes for hundreds and hundreds - probably thousands - of people. Despite the shortfall & high demand, it's still better than nothing.

This is the largest shipping container apartment block here, and while the colour scheme isn't exactly my favourite, I do think that overall it looks quite nice & afaik it's working out quite well - people are housed, safe/warm/dry, and I think there are 24/7 staff there - security, outreach workers etc.

Wonderful, they even protect them.

Umm, why are shipping containers so big? One is like a single truck.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2021, 9:12 am

..there are many stacked/joined together.

Rexi
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2021, 11:25 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
..there are many stacked/joined together.

I dunno, they seem pretty huge as single units. Think they just load that on like a backless truck, maybe

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2021, 11:29 pm

It all sounds like a great idea until you go inside one that sat on the ground for a while. We have one at work that we use as a storage shed, it's musty in there, and it's only a few months old. We got it fresh, it was nice when it was just delivered. A home requires a foundation, a foundation serves more purposes than just for stability, in addition to a moisture barrier you need an air gap with adequate ventilation below your floor.