Page 1 of 5 [ 76 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2021, 1:17 pm

A cargo ship the size of a skyscraper that got stuck in Egypt's Suez Canal on Tuesday is on the move, according to reports.

The blockage disrupted traffic in the 300-foot-wide, man-made waterway for nearly a day when the MV Ever Given, a ship registered in Panama that carries cargo between Asia and Europe, hit the bottom of the canal Tuesday.

Images showed the ship's bow touching the eastern wall of the canal while its stern appeared lodged against the western wall — an extraordinary event that experts said they had never heard of happening before in the canal’s 150-year history.

Source: Ship blocking Suez Canal reportedly on the move

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2021, 1:19 pm

Somehow it will get blamed on Trump/White Privilege/Patriarchy.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2021, 1:41 pm

Oh good. From the topic title, I thought this might be some kind of act of war, but it doesn't sound like it. Just a goof by a commercial user.

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2021, 2:13 pm

Worst parking job ever...

That's why watching Blues Brothers ought to be mandatory before taking command of a ship:

salad
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2021, 6:10 pm

Mr Reynholm wrote:
Somehow it will get blamed on Trump/White Privilege/Patriarchy.

Are you always this negative? Seriously how do you manage to insert race and Trump politics into this when no mention of Trump or white supremacy was brought up until you brought it up.

Master Oogway

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2021, 6:15 pm

Isn't this now a matter of was blocked, or are they still in the process of dislodging it?

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2021, 7:50 pm

Well, let's go see what some maritime trade journals I know of say about the thing,

What the Suez Canal accident means to the tanker business
If blockage is short-lived, it won’t have major rate effects
Greg Miller, Senior Editor Wednesday, March 24, 2021
https://www.freightwaves.com/news/what- ... r-business

Quote:
When the ultra-large box ship Ever Given lodged itself sideways in the Suez Canal, blocking all traffic, containerized cargo shippers may have thought to themselves, “What else can go wrong? Let’s hope this ends quickly.” Tanker owners and investors probably thought something different: “Finally, something positive. Please let this ship be stuck for weeks.”

The Ever Given grounded during a sandstorm Tuesday morning. As of late Wednesday night, it was still stuck. But the blockage is expected to be short-lived, and assuming that’s the case, tanker rate effects should be minimal — for reasons that trace all the way back to the 1950s.

Suez Canal Traffic Snarled After Megamax Boxship Runs Aground
By Njiraini Muchira 03-24-2021 12:55:00
https://www.maritime-executive.com/arti ... ns-aground
Quote:
GAC added that the giant ship was fifth in the northbound convoy, ... Reuters reported that the ship “was suspected of being hit by a sudden strong wind, causing the hull to deviate from the waterway and accidentally hit the bottom and run aground." A spokesman for the Suez Canal Authority told the New York Times that a sudden sandstorm with restricted visibility and high winds caused an “inability to direct the ship."

Grounded Mega Ship in Suez Canal Paralyzes Trade for Second Day
Bloomberg
March 24, 2021
By Salma El Wardany, Mirette Magdy and Jack Wittels (Bloomberg)
https://gcaptain.com/grounded-mega-ship ... econd-day/

Owner and Insurers of Ever Given Face Millions in Claims
Reuters
March 24, 2021
By Carolyn Cohn and Jonathan Saul
https://gcaptain.com/owner-and-insurers ... in-claims/

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2021, 7:59 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Isn't this now a matter of was blocked, or are they still in the process of dislodging it?

Just found this,
Best Shot at Unblocking Suez Canal May Not Come Until Monday
By Lucia Kassai
and Robert Tuttle
March 24, 2021, 6:55 PM EDT Updated on March 24, 2021, 7:25 PM EDT (meaning it was updated 2 hours and 35 minutes before I found it )
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... til-monday
Quote:
The canal authority is expected to try to dislodge the Ever Given on Thursday, weather permitting. For that, they may use four or five extra tugs after an attempt on Wednesday failed, Sloane said. Dredgers are digging around the ship to allow it to back out of its position, and if it it doesn’t budge, the next step is to drain the ballast water and the fuel.

Richard Meade, London-based managing editor of Lloyd’s List Maritime Intelligence, also agrees that it will become easier to free the ship by Monday.

“You have a significant increase in water there,” he said.

But if efforts on Sunday and Monday also fail, the delays for shipping traffic will likely get even worse.

The next opportunity would be another 12 to 14 days away, when tides are expected to swell again, said Sloane, who works as the senior salvage master for Fort Lauderdale, Florida-based Resolve Marine Group.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2021, 8:06 pm

kitesandtrainsandcats wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

Just found this,
Best Shot at Unblocking Suez Canal May Not Come Until Monday
By Lucia Kassai
and Robert Tuttle
March 24, 2021, 6:55 PM EDT Updated on March 24, 2021, 7:25 PM EDT (meaning it was updated 2 hours and 35 minutes before I found it )
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... til-monday
Quote:
The canal authority is expected to try to dislodge the Ever Given on Thursday, weather permitting. For that, they may use four or five extra tugs after an attempt on Wednesday failed, Sloane said. Dredgers are digging around the ship to allow it to back out of its position, and if it it doesn’t budge, the next step is to drain the ballast water and the fuel.

Richard Meade, London-based managing editor of Lloyd’s List Maritime Intelligence, also agrees that it will become easier to free the ship by Monday.

“You have a significant increase in water there,” he said.

But if efforts on Sunday and Monday also fail, the delays for shipping traffic will likely get even worse.

The next opportunity would be another 12 to 14 days away, when tides are expected to swell again, said Sloane, who works as the senior salvage master for Fort Lauderdale, Florida-based Resolve Marine Group.

Awesome, thank you for the update.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2021, 8:09 pm

And now, because of course...

QAnon peddles latest conspiracy theory beyond parody linking Hillary Clinton to Suez ship

Quote:
The latest wild conspiracy theory from followers of QAnon claims that the cargo ship stuck in the Suez Canal is being used by former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton for child sex trafficking.

Some also claim that Ever Given ran aground in Egypt as part of a rescue mission and that the children will be freed live on camera, proving their theory correct.

Newsweek reports that conspiracy theorists arrived at this bizarre conclusion via the name of the vessel’s Taiwan-based operator — Evergreen Marine Corporation — pointing out that Ms Clinton’s Secret Service codename as first lady during her husband’s presidency was “Evergreen”.

Further to that, the call sign for the ship is H3RC, similar to Ms Clinton’s initials when campaigning in 2016 when she includes her original last name — Hillary Rodham Clinton.

The theory also somehow manages to include the plot of the movie The Sum of All Fears (relating to the ship's destination Rotterdam being twinned with Baltimore), the fact that Monday was World Water Day, and (predictably) China.

Click for more...

Excuse me while I feint surprise. :roll:

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2021, 8:18 pm

funeralxempire wrote:

QAnon peddles latest conspiracy theory beyond parody linking Hillary Clinton to Suez ship

Quote:
Further to that, the call sign for the ship is H3RC, similar to Ms Clinton’s initials when campaigning in 2016 when she includes her original last name — Hillary Rodham Clinton.Click for more...

That bit brings to mind several decades back one day when I had gotten weary of my aunt Susan going on and on and on and on and ... about how this name is that satanically and this acronym means that satanically and these initials mean that satanically and ...

Finally, me: "Oh, so then your initials of SMW mean you are Satan's Main Woman.

To this day I simply can not understand why she has never resurrected the topic in my presence ...

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2021, 8:20 pm

kitesandtrainsandcats wrote:

That bit brings to mind several decades back one day when I had gotten weary of my aunt Susan going on and on and on and on and ... about how this name is that satanically and this acronym means that satanically and these initials mean that satanically and ...

Finally, me: "Oh, so then your initials of SMW mean you are Satan's Main Woman.

To this day I simply can not understand why she has never resurrected the topic in my presence ...

:lol:

I might have piddled. :oops:

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2021, 9:31 pm

Looks like a job for Mr.Plumber.Or the worlds biggest toilet plunger.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2021, 9:42 pm

The worst thing since the six day war in 1967, when Israel seized the whole Sinai, the Suez Canal became the boundary (and a battle front) between Egypt and Israel, and a couple dozen cargo ships were trapped in the canal for months, and became known as "the yellow fleet" because the ships got coated with windblown desert sand while anchored for months in limbo in the canal.

This ship entered the canal from the south just as a desert dust storm kicked in and obscured the pilot's vision. And the 1300 foot long ship got lodged into both shores of the 300 foot wide canal. The ship is more than half again as long as the Titanic, and the cargo it carries is about seven or eight times the mass of the Titanic. Merchandise made in China on its way to the port of Rotterdam Netherlands. And its backing up traffic going both ways.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2021, 9:54 pm

funeralxempire wrote:

Quote:
The latest wild conspiracy theory from followers of QAnon claims that the cargo ship stuck in the Suez Canal is being used by former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton for child sex trafficking.

Some also claim that Ever Given ran aground in Egypt as part of a rescue mission and that the children will be freed live on camera, proving their theory correct.

Newsweek reports that conspiracy theorists arrived at this bizarre conclusion via the name of the vessel’s Taiwan-based operator — Evergreen Marine Corporation — pointing out that Ms Clinton’s Secret Service codename as first lady during her husband’s presidency was “Evergreen”.

Further to that, the call sign for the ship is H3RC, similar to Ms Clinton’s initials when campaigning in 2016 when she includes her original last name — Hillary Rodham Clinton.

The theory also somehow manages to include the plot of the movie The Sum of All Fears (relating to the ship's destination Rotterdam being twinned with Baltimore), the fact that Monday was World Water Day, and (predictably) China.

Click for more...

Excuse me while I feint surprise. :roll:

I was just gonna make a joke post, to make Mr Reynolds feel better, about how "this thing has BLM, and Hillary, written all over it!". And then I saw - how QAnon is actually saying something like that- and its not even supposed to be taken as a joke! 8O QAnon beat me to the punchline! :lol:

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2021, 3:23 am