Trial of Derek Chauvin, who Killed George Floyd

Page 8 of 14 [ 220 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 14  Next

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2021, 3:11 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
A verdict has been reached and will be read between 4:30 and 5PM Eastern Daylight time

Chauvin was willing to plead guilty to 3rd degree murder and serve more than 10 years.

So, only a 2nd degree manslaughter conviction could be seen as a huge failure.

Be the hero of your life.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

20 Apr 2021, 4:09 pm

He's been found guilty on all three counts.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2021, 4:19 pm

Cornflake wrote:

It's good to see that justice was done but there really isn't much to celebrate about the bare minimum that should be expected having occurred.

It doesn't bring him back.
It doesn't undo the agony that these killings inflict.
It stands out because it's a rare example of justice; it shouldn't stand out because justice in these instances shouldn't be rare.

Hopefully it bodes well for the future. Michael Slagar's appeal was denied recently too but him and Chauvin were the most egregious examples of blatant murder while in uniform so they shouldn't be understood as representing the average. Some videos are too damning to just handwave away.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2021, 4:20 pm

Cornflake wrote:
Thanks be to G^D!!
Quote:
MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — Former Minneapolis police Officer Derek Chauvin has been convicted of murder and manslaughter in the death of George Floyd, the explosive case that triggered worldwide protests, violence and a furious reexamination of racism and policing in the U.S.

The jury reached its verdict Tuesday after deliberating about 10 hours over two days in a city on edge against another outbreak of unrest.

Source:  This Associated Press Article 

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Last edited by Fnord on 20 Apr 2021, 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2021, 4:23 pm

AMEN. And glad it's over.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2021, 4:27 pm

Would the WP Chauvin defense team like to make any closing statements :lol:

On a serious note justice has clearly been served and faith in the US justice system restored.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2021, 4:27 pm

BeaArthur wrote:
AMEN. And glad it's over.

If only that were the case.

Among things there will almost certainly be appeals but besides that the gaping wound that's been exposed won't heal over just because justice was done in one case. The backlash that happened wasn't because George Floyd was some beloved figure known nationwide. It was because he was an every-man and people saw their own loved ones reflected in him. It will likely take signs of institutional reform before this actually might be over.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

20 Apr 2021, 4:28 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
It stands out because it's a rare example of justice; it shouldn't stand out because justice in these instances shouldn't be rare.
Agreed. There have been so many cases, and so many failures.

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2021, 4:30 pm

Well, I've been waiting for something like this ever since the death of Trayvon Martin back in 2012...

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2021, 4:30 pm

cyberdad wrote:
...faith in the US justice system restored.

That's a bit of an overstatement.

I'd say if a conviction wasn't secured that would reinforce a lack of faith but finding guilt in a single slam-dunk case probably isn't enough to restore faith. Establishing a pattern of holding officers and vigilantes guilty in these sorts of murder cases will gradually restore faith but it will take some time.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2021, 4:31 pm

If nothing else, cops will have to think they need to watch their step.

I think of George Floyd's little daughter, saying "My Daddy changed the world." It would have been so awful if someone had to explain to her that nothing had changed, after all.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2021, 4:32 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
...faith in the US justice system restored.

That's a bit of an overstatement.

I'd say if a conviction wasn't secured that would reinforce a lack of faith but finding guilt in a single slam-dunk case probably isn't enough to restore faith. Establishing a pattern of holding officers and vigilantes guilty in these sorts of murder cases will gradually restore faith but it will take some time.

Sorry...that's high level sarcasm

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2021, 4:33 pm

Cornflake wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Agreed. There have been so many cases, and so many failures.

I worry about surveillance technologies but if this happened in the 90s Chauvin would have skated for sure. Even with the video people were still demanding more receipts be shown. I guess sufficient evidence to remove all reasonable doubts isn't adequate to remove unreasonable doubts.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2021, 4:34 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Sorry...that's high level sarcasm

Well, if I was better at judging sarcasm I wouldn't be here. :mrgreen:

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2021, 5:03 pm

So bets are in.....$10 says Chauvin gets choked in prison within a week.

But I imagine he will get special protection

TwisterUprocker
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Apr 2021, 5:13 pm

Well having observed the Weinstein trial I expected:

More time to reach the verdict

A mixed verdict with the strongest charge acquitted