Trial of Derek Chauvin, who Killed George Floyd

Page 13 of 14 [ 220 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

salad
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2021, 9:38 pm

BeaArthur wrote:
I was deeply gratified by the verdict, for two reasons.

1. Justice was done. I watched about 80% of the trial on live coverage, and I am deeply convinced of the rightness of the verdict.

2. But secondarily, I predicted (as did many public officials, who in all states activated their National Guard) that a "not guilty" verdict would tear the streets of America up and quite possibly result in additional deaths.

SocOfAutism wandered into this topic and, I think, represented a wrong view, but she's generally an intelligent, thoughtful, well educated person. I'm inclined to believe she did not immerse herself in the specifics of the case, and was led astray by a digested and biased version.

Salad saying "since it's Ramadan I'm not going to outright call you stupid" but then doing just that was shooting from the mentally-ill hip. Play nice or get outta my thread!

Where did I even call SocOfAutism stupid, show me where? You're so quick to be magnanimous and indulgent with SocOfAutism for being an apologetic for murder, going out of your way to overlook her faults and outline all of her positive traits, but somehow with me you're so opprobrious just for harshly calling SocOfAutism out for being an apologetic for murder. Totally no double standard there :roll:

I think you're shooting from the "mentally ill hip" and should learn to do a better job reading.

Master Oogway

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2021, 12:12 am

Quote:
despite all that the jury came to the conclusion based on the available evidence that Chauvin killed Floyd and denying that is a sign of low IQ

salad
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2021, 12:35 am

BeaArthur wrote:
Quote:
despite all that the jury came to the conclusion based on the available evidence that Chauvin killed Floyd and denying that is a sign of low IQ

ok ill edit my post so that line gets changed. But I still stand with the rest of my statement.

Master Oogway

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2021, 2:30 am

the fact that the other cop recruits just stood there indicates that the systems for quality control in recruiting/hiring of new cop candidates needs to be revised.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2021, 8:31 am

The whole system needs to be revised, especially when murdering a POC increases one's social status among other cops ... if not one's rank in the department ...

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2021, 8:46 am

auntblabby wrote:
the fact that the other cop recruits just stood there indicates that the systems for quality control in recruiting/hiring of new cop candidates needs to be revised.

Doing what your boss says is probably considered a top quality in police work and most jobs.

Be the hero of your life.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2021, 8:50 am

if i had my way, there'd be armed public safety officers, most of whom were EMTs and trained social workers as well. just as in the rest of the civilized world the training would include martial arts [poss. bill underwood's "DEFENDO"] and be vastly more comprehensive than the present regime and would represent a truly professional force, pay commensurate, with a flattened command structure. they would all carry personal malpractice insurance [poss. partially underwritten by the state]. any major judgments would come out of that insurance and be a strike against the officer, 3 strikes and YER OUT! PERMANENTLY and nation-wide. traffic law enforcement would not involve the police at all.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2021, 8:52 am

TheRobotLives wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Doing what your boss says is probably considered a top quality in police work and most jobs.
Citing the Nuremburg Defense probably will NOT help those cops.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2021, 12:05 pm

If guns make people & places safer, why does America need any cops in the first place? :chin:

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2021, 12:20 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
If guns make people & places safer, why does America need any cops in the first place? :chin:

Especially if the scariest phrase in the English language is I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

23 Apr 2021, 12:31 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
Especially if the scariest phrase in the English language is I'm from the government and I'm here to help.
Sounds like someone preparing to take your child away.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2021, 12:33 pm

TheRobotLives wrote:
For two of these cops, Lane and Kueng, it was their first week on the job.

Chauvin was their boss.

Who would stand up to their boss on their first week on the job?

People who have one of these would:

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2021, 1:02 pm

magz wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

I'm sure that's one of the implications Reagan had in mind when he used that slogan.

Mind you, when it's the search and rescue team who are about to drag you out of a disaster it's not such a scary phrase.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

23 Apr 2021, 1:10 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
magz wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
I'm sure that's one of the implications Reagan had in mind when he used that slogan.

Mind you, when it's the search and rescue team who are about to drag you out of a disaster it's not such a scary phrase.
Well, it wouldn't sound scary even over a hole in a road.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2021, 3:23 pm

GGPViper wrote:
TheRobotLives wrote:
For two of these cops, Lane and Kueng, it was their first week on the job.

Chauvin was their boss.

Who would stand up to their boss on their first week on the job?

People who have one of these would:

Perhaps.. but I get it. Brand new cops have to listen to their trainers and do as they're told. chauvin held a position of power over them.. he was teaching them how you harass & assault black people on the job, and using his position of power over them to train them into the culture of not opposing other cops, or reporting them for their crimes etc. Those new cops were kinda caught in a terrible situation & chauvin abused his position of authority over them.. and now they may be going to jail for it.

Mind you, if they're found criminally liable for not taking different actions, well, then that's on them. But I still understand how even a good new cop might not intervene in a senior officers' misdeeds.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2021, 4:03 pm

somehow a culture of self-policing must be instituted among the police. there has got to be a proper incentive that will pass muster with the courts. in the military, if one trooper screwed the pooch then the whole unit paid for it, thus providing a powerful incentive to carry one's weight and toe the line. something similar needs to happen with our police culture.