Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2021, 5:20 pm

Another night of violence and riots underway in Belfast tonight

They have hijacked a double decker bus this evening and set fire to it on the Shankhil Road

Video:
https://twitter.com/trishdevlin/status/1379871010808270850?s=19

https://amp.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/apr/07/northern-ireland-dishonesty-over-brexit-fuelled-loyalist-anger-says-stormont-minister?__twitter_impression=true

British media desperately trying not to talk about it and the politicians trying to pretend it isnt happening. Absolutely shameful stuff.

Here is a local to explain the situation
https://twitter.com/lilytryx/status/1379893544488427527?s=19

Daddy63
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2021, 7:04 pm

Incredibly sad. This brings backs memories of watching similar violence in Belfast during my childhood.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2021, 8:09 pm

Its now 1972 again?

Why? What is triggering this?

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2021, 8:14 pm

Each person who damaged something should have to pay for the damage they have caused. If this simple and very fair rule were to be enforced, no one would dare do anything like this.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2021, 2:30 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Its now 1972 again?

See the last link in my original post for a locals explanation of what is going on.

What's saddest is that this was so widely and repeatedly predicted to happen, and those in charge kept promising the country it absolutely wouldn't. then they just went ahead and did it anyway knowing full well what would happen.

Soliloquist
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Apr 2021, 3:53 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Its now 1972 again?

On june the 21st 2020 Bobby Storey a senior republican figure and former head of intelligence for the IRA in the 1990's died.

His funeral 0n June 30th 2020 was said to be attended by
up to 2,000 people all flouting the covid-19 restrictions.

In attendance were many senior Sinn Féin politicians which, caused a political furore.

Last week prosecutors announced that no action would be taken against 24 Sinn Fein politicians, including deputy First Minister Michelle O’Neill, for attending the huge republican funeral during the pandemic sparking outrage among some loyalists.

Quote:
Northern Ireland DUP First Minister Arlene Foster has appealed to young people not to get “drawn into disorder” over the Easter weekend, saying violence “will not make things better”.

She said: “I know that many of our young people are hugely frustrated by the events of this last week but causing injury to police officers will not make things better. And I send my strong support to all of the rank-and-file police officers that are on duty over this Easter weekend. I appeal to our young people not to get drawn into disorder which will lead to them having criminal convictions and blighting their own lives.”

Asked by Katie Hannon on RTÉ Radio One if Sinn Féin had done enough in the aftermath of growing tensions following a controversial decision not to prosecute 24 Sinn Féin politicians for attending a the funeral of senior republican Bobby Storey during Covid-19 restrictions, he replied: “People have got things wrong and I think Michelle’s [O’Neill’s] statement at the time made that very clear. But what also then happened was people rightly then called for a PSNI investigation. A report was then forwarded to the Public Prosecution Service. They have made their recommendations and their recommendations are not to proceed with prosecutions.”

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2021, 4:09 am

Even those who have spent the last 3 months trying to deny this was all clearly building up to happen, and who's vote set the wheels in motion for this to happen, are now having to accept it is indeed happening

https://twitter.com/CatharineHoey/status/1379902810620317696

Kate Hoey:
"The Protocol has destabilised Northern Ireland. Placing a border between Great Britain and Northern Ireland without the consent of the pro Union community has been the trigger for this unacceptable violence"

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2021, 4:51 am

Not this again.

But as others have said, this was a somewhat predictable turn of events.

When people are looking for an excuse to start a fight, and you give them an excuse, they will start a fight.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2021, 5:39 am

Biscuitman wrote:
Even those who have spent the last 3 months trying to deny this was all clearly building up to happen, and who's vote set the wheels in motion for this to happen, are now having to accept it is indeed happening

https://twitter.com/CatharineHoey/status/1379902810620317696

Kate Hoey:
"The Protocol has destabilised Northern Ireland. Placing a border between Great Britain and Northern Ireland without the consent of the pro Union community has been the trigger for this unacceptable violence"

Sorry I can't access the twitter page,

- who placed the border between GB and NI?
- Is the claim substantiated by the instigators of the violence as the reason?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2021, 5:54 am

Daddy63 wrote:
Incredibly sad. This brings backs memories of watching similar violence in Belfast during my childhood.

Watched this from my tweens until I was almost 40.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2021, 6:08 am

cyberdad wrote:
who placed the border between GB and NI?

The British Government

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2021, 6:16 am

Brexit made this violence inevitable.

My heart goes out to all affected.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2021, 6:34 am

here is someone you might recognise who, when he wanted to be PM, told the country that under no circumstances would a border down the Irish Sea be put in place
https://twitter.com/BorisJohnson_MP/status/1379691256687820801

he then got voted in and very quickly instructed that a border be put down the Irish Sea

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2021, 6:41 am

Biscuitman wrote:
here is someone you might recognise who, when he wanted to be PM, told the country that under no circumstances would a border down the Irish Sea be put in place
https://twitter.com/BorisJohnson_MP/status/1379691256687820801

he then got voted in and very quickly instructed that a border be put down the Irish Sea

IRA sending a message to Boris?

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2021, 2:53 pm

Starting again. 7th night.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2021, 1:09 pm

Not even being mentioned in American news.

Had to search the web to get a handle on it. That local young lady in that link provided by Biscuitman gives a good summary of it.

Apparently the trigger that reopens the wounds is Brexit.

All of the UK is officially divorced from the EU. BUT they have to make an exception for northern ireland, because they cant make the border between the two irelands be a "hard border" with customs inspections etc.

That would make the Catholics in NE angry.

So...they have to place the hard border between the UK and the EU between Northern Ireland itself, and the rest of the UK (ie Britain).Like putting a fence dividing your own back yard instead fencing off your whole back yard from the neighbors. So commerce can come through the Republic of Ireland into Northern Ireland, but cant cross the little sea to Britain with out the hard border treatment. Likewise goods cant arrive FROM Britain TO NE without crossing the new Irish sea hard border. And this barrier between NE and the rest of the UK makes the Loyalists, aka "the Protestants" in Northern Ireland angry. And they are now rioting.

OH yes... and that other thing. Shin Fein (aka "the IRA") had that big wake for one of their heroes, with 3000 people attending who did NOT wear social distancing masks. And the UK authorities choose not to prosecute them for the covid violation. And that angered Loyalist too.

So Brexit combined with Covid rubbed salt on the old sectarian wounds. Apparently.