Satellite data shows up climate forecasts

Page 4 of 11 [ 176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2021, 6:25 pm

Pepe wrote:
Double Retired wrote:
Pepe wrote:
As I have said before, my primary concern is not ending up in a Chinese labour camp. 8O
Climate change pales in comparison. 8)
I disagree...slightly.

I think Climate Change is the biggy. But only if you look at the big picture...which requires taking a longer view of things. I could understand if someone thought it was unlikely to affect them personally because they only expected to live long enough to see the early, less horrible years of it.

People have been predicting billions of people dying for quite some time, and they were wrong.
You do understand the message behind the story of "The boy who cried wolf", right?

I have been saying for years that the catastrophizing of climate change damaged the cause.
Refer to Tim Flannery and his exaggerated comments about doom and gloom.
Some of these turkeys people admitted they lied about the extent of the problem because they wanted people to act.
I read somewhere that Al Gore(y) was one of them.

Well, the irony is, the BS has caused them to lose credibility.
And they only have themselves to blame. 8)

BTW, Australian damns will never be filled ever again. 8O
Just ask Timmy. :lmao:

Unfortunately covid isn't lethal enough to wipe out the several billion needed, but climate change might well be. After that the survivors would need to adopt a society that is non violent, non competitive, and in which everyone is mutually supportive. In which the people live deliberately without wastefully mass producing things only for financial gain. It's not just climate change that's the problem. It's the massive plastic garbage pits in the oceans and etc.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2021, 6:36 pm

Double Retired wrote:
I would agree catastrophe is not imminent. Most predictions seem to be talking about things getting really bad by the end of the century...so not imminent. Bad things have already started, however...in the U.S. record levels of heat in the Northwest has already killed people and the drought conditions in the West have created excellent wildfire conditions.

And I think you folk down under have experienced similar things...though you're on your own with the mice!

If you believe CO2 levels are of major concern, you should consider this article: viewtopic.php?t=399171#p8839320 8)

Surprisingly, the mice problem isn't mentioned any longer on the news, and where I am, I haven't seen a problem.

Quote:
My Country (I Love a Sunburnt Country) Lyrics: Dorothea MacKellar

Chorus
I love a sunburnt country
A land of sweeping plains
Of rugged mountain ranges
Of drought and flooding rains
I love her far horizons
I love her jew-el sea
Her beauty and her terror____
The wide brown land ..........for me.
Australia for me.

Verse 1
Core of my heart my country
Land of the rainbow gold
For flood and fire and famine
She pays us back three-fold
But then the grey clouds gather and we can bless again
The drumming of an army
The steady soaking rain.

http://www.goyder.net.au/Mary-Anne/My%2 ... 0choir.pdf

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2021, 8:53 am

Seems reasonable (both CO2 and the mice).

And on the CO2 you get a twofer--I think it would also be reasonable to be concerned about China leading us into a shooting war in the South China Sea. But, I'm not quite as sure about the labor camp part...might not be a viable option afterwards since China has nuclear weapons.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2021, 9:36 pm

Double Retired wrote:

And on the CO2 you get a twofer--I think it would also be reasonable to be concerned about China leading us into a shooting war in the South China Sea. But, I'm not quite as sure about the labor camp part...might not be a viable option afterwards since China has nuclear weapons.

China doesn't need nuclear weapons.
And why would it pollute the resources it believes is rightfully theirs in their sphere of political influence?

BTW, I'd rather go instantly as a result of a nuclear bomb than dying after months or years in a death camp.
But then, on the bright side, my organs are shot so they won't be stealing any of those from me. :thumright:

See, there is always a silver lining, even in old age. :mrgreen:

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2021, 9:27 am

Pepe wrote:
Hmmm... On me the silver is starting to show up on the exterior, not the lining. The interior has some holes where original equipment has been removed and also some replacement parts that look like they came from the appliance-repair section of the hardware store.

But I think your concern with China vs. mine with Climate Change might reflect location--you live a whole lot closer to China--and possibly general outlook--I think you might be more pessimistic than I...surely it is just optimism on my part that I hope to be around long enough that Climate Change will be much worse.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2021, 8:10 pm

Double Retired wrote:

But I think your concern with China vs. mine with Climate Change might reflect location--you live a whole lot closer to China--and possibly general outlook--I think you might be more pessimistic than I...surely it is just optimism on my part that I hope to be around long enough that Climate Change will be much worse.

This goes without saying, yes. 8)

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2021, 1:44 pm

NPR: "Rain Fell On The Peak Of Greenland's Ice Sheet For The First Time In Recorded History"

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2021, 5:42 pm

Mr Reynholm wrote:
Climate has been changing forever. Even before man walked the Earth. Who's to say that climate change is a bad thing?

Indeed. We need billions dead and covid just isn't leathal enough. Let em roast like the North American west coast this year.

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2021, 5:51 pm

Pepe wrote:
Double Retired wrote:
I would agree catastrophe is not imminent. Most predictions seem to be talking about things getting really bad by the end of the century...so not imminent. Bad things have already started, however...in the U.S. record levels of heat in the Northwest has already killed people and the drought conditions in the West have created excellent wildfire conditions.

And I think you folk down under have experienced similar things...though you're on your own with the mice!

If you believe CO2 levels are of major concern, you should consider this article: viewtopic.php?t=399171#p8839320 8)

Surprisingly, the mice problem isn't mentioned any longer on the news, and where I am, I haven't seen a problem.

Quote:

Chorus
I love her far horizons
I love her jew-el sea
Australia for me.

Verse 1
Land of the rainbow gold
The drumming of an army
The steady soaking rain.

Perhaps your feral cats ate all the mice? I've heard the problem is so bad it's legal to hunt them.

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2021, 8:25 pm

Pepe wrote:
Double Retired wrote:

Quote:

Chorus
I love her far horizons
I love her jew-el sea
Australia for me.

Verse 1
Land of the rainbow gold
The drumming of an army
The steady soaking rain.

https://youtu.be/bW4ZwyYJYbQ

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2021, 10:16 am

Yahoo!, attributed to Reuters: "A father and son's Ice Age plot to slow Siberian thaw"

Quote:
In one of the planet's coldest places, 130 km south of Russia's Arctic coast, scientist Sergey Zimov can find no sign of permafrost as global warming permeates Siberia's soil.

As everything from mammoth bones to ancient vegetation frozen inside it for millennia thaws and decomposes, it now threatens to release vast amounts of greenhouse gases.

Zimov, who has studied permafrost from his scientific base in the diamond-producing Yakutia region for decades, is seeing the effects of climate change in real time.

Driving a thin metal pole metres into the Siberian turf, where temperatures are rising at more than three times the world average, with barely any force, the 66-year-old is matter-of-fact.

"This is one of the coldest places on earth and there is no permafrost," he says. "Methane has never increased in the atmosphere at the speed it is today ... I think this is linked to our permafrost."

(Open https://www.reuters.com/investigates/special-report/climate-un-russia-permafrost in an external browser to see a picture package)

Permafrost covers 65% of Russia's landmass and about a quarter of the northern landmass. Scientists say that greenhouse gas emissions from its thaw could eventually match or even exceed the European Union's industrial emissions due to the sheer volume of decaying organic matter.

Meanwhile permafrost emissions, which are seen as naturally occurring, are not counted against government pledges aimed at curbing emissions or in the spotlight at U.N. climate talks.

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2021, 10:30 am

Pepe wrote:
Double Retired wrote:

And why would it pollute the resources it believes is rightfully theirs in their sphere of political influence?

BTW, I'd rather go instantly as a result of a nuclear bomb than dying after months or years in a death camp.
But then, on the bright side, my organs are shot so they won't be stealing any of those from me. :thumright:

China is surrounded and or close to several nuclear states including Russia, North Korea, India, and Pakistan. Living in that neighborhood I would certainly want my country to have nukes too.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2021, 12:09 pm

Yahoo!, attributed to NBC News: "Scotland's 'Sphinx' snow patch melts away for only eighth time in 300 years"

Quote:
The United Kingdom's longest-lasting patch of snow, located in a remote mountain range in the Scottish Highlands, has melted away for only the eighth time in 300 years, experts have confirmed.

The snow patch, nicknamed the Sphinx, is the U.K.'s most durable, which means it typically stays frozen through the summer, even after most snow has melted across the region's upland terrain. The rare disappearance of the patch comes as Scotland plays host to the United Nations Climate Change Conference, known as COP26, during which government officials from around the world are negotiating policies to avert the worst impacts of global warming.

The Sphinx snow patch adorns the side of Braeriach, the third-highest mountain in Britain that forms part of the Cairngorms mountain range. Records indicate that the patch is previously known to have melted completely in 1933, 1959, 1996, 2003, 2006, 2017 and 2018.

Before 1933, it's estimated that the last time the snow patch disappeared was in the 1700s, according to Iain Cameron, author of "The Vanishing Ice: Diaries of a Scottish Snow Hunter."

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2021, 2:38 pm

Axeman wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Double Retired wrote:

China is surrounded and or close to several nuclear states including Russia, North Korea, India, and Pakistan. Living in that neighborhood I would certainly want my country to have nukes too.

You misunderstood my context.
China doesn't need to use nuclear weapons against Australia. 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2021, 2:40 pm

Double Retired wrote:
Yahoo!, attributed to NBC News: "Scotland's 'Sphinx' snow patch melts away for only eighth time in 300 years"
Quote:
The United Kingdom's longest-lasting patch of snow, located in a remote mountain range in the Scottish Highlands, has melted away for only the eighth time in 300 years, experts have confirmed.

The snow patch, nicknamed the Sphinx, is the U.K.'s most durable, which means it typically stays frozen through the summer, even after most snow has melted across the region's upland terrain. The rare disappearance of the patch comes as Scotland plays host to the United Nations Climate Change Conference, known as COP26, during which government officials from around the world are negotiating policies to avert the worst impacts of global warming.

The Sphinx snow patch adorns the side of Braeriach, the third-highest mountain in Britain that forms part of the Cairngorms mountain range. Records indicate that the patch is previously known to have melted completely in 1933, 1959, 1996, 2003, 2006, 2017 and 2018.

Before 1933, it's estimated that the last time the snow patch disappeared was in the 1700s, according to Iain Cameron, author of "The Vanishing Ice: Diaries of a Scottish Snow Hunter."

Yes, the climate has always changed, even before humanity was in existence. 8)