Cops shoot 16 year old black girl in Ohio

Page 6 of 6 [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2021, 2:12 am

auntblabby wrote:
as a non-white, i will cast my lot with dealing with trouble myself, i don't like the risk of having a barely sentient and implicitly biased automaton brute incorrectly figure things out in real time. why can't americans have good things like the utterly professional and civilized police force of the netherlands?

My understanding is the foster parents didn't call the police, the girl in the pink tracksuit called the police possibly as retribution which sent the 15-16 yr old over the edge when she grabbed the knife. Had the teen been brandishing a knife a few hours earlier it seems odd that both teens were quietly waiting twiddling their thumbs for the police to show up that long without anything happening?

Quite evidently the foster parents were horrified when their foster daughter was shot.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2021, 6:56 pm

Oh are you saying it was convenient that she happened to brandish the knife when the police arrived, rather than before?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2021, 7:05 pm

ironpony wrote:
Oh are you saying it was convenient that she happened to brandish the knife when the police arrived, rather than before?

I think between the time the call was made and the subsequent events where the girls were squabbling outside it did seem odd that cops arrived to witness the lunge. My guess is the girl with the knife was furious. The foster parents said her behaviour was out of character and we legitimately shocked when the cop fired at the teen.

The foster parents never called the police, they were shocked i) when they arrived and ii) aimed their guns at their children and iii) killed their foster daughter.

While I see many members here feel everything was justified please put yourselves in the families shoes. The cops willingness to pull out a gun at 15-16 year old children is a big red flag to me, Would they have done this if it was a dispute between two blonde cheerleaders in a better class of suburb? I highly doubt it.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2021, 7:08 pm

Compare the handling of the shooting with that of a white child firing a loaded gun
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/tw ... g-n1266544

This white child was disarmed with "kid gloves" despite firing a loaded weapon. Strange double standard

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2021, 8:59 am

cyberdad wrote:
ironpony wrote:

I think between the time the call was made and the subsequent events where the girls were squabbling outside it did seem odd that cops arrived to witness the lunge. My guess is the girl with the knife was furious. The foster parents said her behaviour was out of character and we legitimately shocked when the cop fired at the teen.

The foster parents never called the police, they were shocked i) when they arrived and ii) aimed their guns at their children and iii) killed their foster daughter.

While I see many members here feel everything was justified please put yourselves in the families shoes. The cops willingness to pull out a gun at 15-16 year old children is a big red flag to me, Would they have done this if it was a dispute between two blonde cheerleaders in a better class of suburb? I highly doubt it.

Oh okay, but why is it odd though? Are you saying the cop arrived in a suspicious nick of time?

Also, since there seems to be a moral argument that cops are tougher on black neighborhoods, what if they made it a policy so that only black officers on duty were allowed to respond to calls in predominantly black populated areas? Would this make it more fair?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2021, 9:08 am

cyberdad wrote:
Compare the handling of the shooting with that of a white child firing a loaded gun
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/tw ... g-n1266544

This white child was disarmed with "kid gloves" despite firing a loaded weapon. Strange double standard

We do not know if the the suspect in the Idaho school shooting is white although based on the pictures of students leaving the school and based on the the 2010 census showing Rigby is 89.5 percent white that is a good assumption, but still an assumption.

Most likely the teacher who disarmed the girl did not have a gun. If the teacher was armed that she would have shot the suspect if she is black and disarmed her without using her gun if she is white is an assumption you and most people would make but that does not make it true.

This does bring up the question is are cops trigger happy and racist, in the exact same situation would cops have been likely to shoot the school shooter if she was white and a lot more likely to shoot her if she was black? In the school shooting obviously the teacher was close enough that a gun was not needed to disarm her, was the cop that shot the black girl close enough to disarm her sans gun? In the video it does not look that way although videos can and do mislead with depth perception.

Using the two incidents to prove racist double standards is ludicrous, outside of the apparent race of one of the two suspects there is nothing analogous.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2021, 9:48 am

What about the idea that I mentioned twice, that what if they made it a policy that only black police officers are allowed to respond to calls in the predominantly black communities? Would that make things better?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2021, 5:01 pm

ironpony wrote:
What about the idea that I mentioned twice, that what if they made it a policy that only black police officers are allowed to respond to calls in the predominantly black communities? Would that make things better?

Maybe but where would that segregationist policy lead to?

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2021, 8:02 pm

Well the point of the policy is that people in the black community are saying they do not feel safe with white officers responding to crimes there, so I thought they may feel more safe with a black officers responding only policy. Seems like a logical resolution?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2021, 1:42 am

Anyone know what happened to the cop in this story? has he been quietly transferred?

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2021, 5:10 am

You could see the knife and the lunge she made with it on the bodycam. I have no issue with what the officer did.

Last edited by Nades on 18 May 2021, 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

18 May 2021, 7:16 am

I thought this was quite revealing:
BBC: How US police training compares with the rest of the world

Make of it what you will.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2021, 12:19 am

america can't do anything right.