Cops shoot 16 year old black girl in Ohio

Page 2 of 6 [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2021, 11:02 pm

cyberdad wrote:
What the heck do these guys get shooting training for? even a novice could have shot her in the leg

My post before yours asking this provides you plenty of material which answers those questions; did you not bother to look, do you not actually wish to know but rather simply wish to continue spouting off at the mouth?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2021, 11:11 pm

kitesandtrainsandcats wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
What the heck do these guys get shooting training for? even a novice could have shot her in the leg

My post before yours asking this provides you plenty of material which answers those questions; did you not bother to look, do you not actually wish to know but rather simply wish to continue spouting off at the mouth?

Sorry I missed your post...a timing thing

Soliloquist
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Apr 2021, 1:08 am

cyberdad wrote:
Its just been updated that the teen was brandishing/waving a knife before plunging at the girl in the pink tracksuit when the officer opened fire.

Ohio state law allows police to use deadly force to protect themselves or others, and investigators will determine whether this shooting was such an instance.

Columbus Mayor Andrew Ginther mourned the loss of the young victim but defended the officer’s use of deadly force.

This still does not sit comfortably with me.

Now you're aware that this girl was brandishing a knife with clear
deadly intent, are you going to update the title of this thread to
reflects this?

"Hero Cop saves black girl in Ohio"?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2021, 1:27 am

Well they had no problem shooting that 10 or 11 year old kid with autism...so why wouldn't they shoot a 16 year old black girl?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2021, 1:48 am

Soliloquist wrote:
[are you going to update the title of this thread to
reflects this?

"Hero Cop saves black girl in Ohio"?

That needs to be determined if the cop did the right thing but I'm happy to be corrected.

However there's several hundred BLM protestors in Ohio who have certainly made up their minds https://www.theguardian.com/global/vide ... ager-video

BGM or Black girls matter has become the latest meme to hit the internet

MidnightRose
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Apr 2021, 2:13 am

As anybody who has read my usual political posts knows, I'm a radical leftist antifa anarcho-Bidenist. But, this time I'm leading towards the cop's side. Shooting to wound is a risky proposition when there is an imminent stabbing about to happen, and knives are seriously, seriously dangerous. You can cause serious damage very quickly with a knife. If the girl in pink were seriously hurt or killed, I'm sure that would cause an outcry as well. The cop, having just arrived on the scene, sees an angry person with a knife going at another person. What would you assume was about to happen in his shoes? So he shot to defend the potential victim.

But my mind could be changed in the face of a good argument. Seeing a girl get gunned down like that (wasn't she 16?) did not make me feel good, knife or no knife. I'd like to hear from the perspective of a cop in another country that has experience with knife crime, but doesn't gun down people constantly. Like a British cop. Are there de-escalation techniques that weren't being used? I'm trying to think of another way to handle this. Tasers don't always incapacitate immediately like they do in movies, and shooting to wound is pure Hollywood from my understanding. Limbs are smaller targets that are usually swinging around, you're more likely to hit something else or fail to stop your target before they harm someone. Or hit the limb but still end up killing the person anyway. Guns are killing tools.

MidnightRose
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Apr 2021, 2:19 am

cyberdad wrote:
I'm also uncomfortable that it took him 4 shots to "incapacitate her"

I can't tell you how many times I've read accounts of people (mainly from WWII) not even feeling gunshots until many minutes after they get shot. If a person is sufficiently pumped up on adrenaline, like if they were agitated enough to start swinging a knife at people, they might not even feel a handgun shot to their leg.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2021, 3:08 am

Wait.....2 weeks ago the State of Ohio passed a controversial "stand your grand law" https://www.10tv.com/article/news/polit ... bb294898c5

The law was pushed through with support of republicans and the gun lobby and opposed by democrats and the black community.

According to this article
Republican lawmakers and gun rights groups praised Ohio governor DeWine for signing the bill. Democrats, mayors and Black lawmakers have strongly criticized him for the move.

By curious coincidence 2 weeks after the bill is passed a police officer feels emboldened to test this new law and pumps a black teenage girl full of bullets.....did the cop feel emboldened or protected by this law? is it a coincidence this happens and the cops think they have a green light?

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2021, 5:16 am

cyberdad wrote:
Sorry I missed your post...a timing thing
Okay, that happens.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2021, 5:22 am

MidnightRose wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
I'm also uncomfortable that it took him 4 shots to "incapacitate her"

I can't tell you how many times I've read accounts of people (mainly from WWII) not even feeling gunshots until many minutes after they get shot. If a person is sufficiently pumped up on adrenaline, like if they were agitated enough to start swinging a knife at people, they might not even feel a handgun shot to their leg.

BINGO!

And somewhere in the several sources I posted, in particular the books, that is covered in both the military and the law enforcement realms.

You shoot until the threat ends.

It is also documented that given the hyper-focus had by a person in such a situation they may be so focused on tracking the threatening person the cop or soldier don't even hear their own gun going off.

:arrow: AND It is also observed and documented that both soldiers and cops who have taken immediately fatal bullets have acted to return fire purely out of reflex action after they were dead.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2021, 9:12 am

It was asked earlier why the cop did not shoot the girl in they legs. The answer is they are trained to shoot to kill, to shoot at the torso.
Experts on Why Police Aren't Trained to Shoot to Wound

Quote:
If an officer aims at anything other than the torso area, the odds that he or she will miss increase greatly, Klinger said. But aiming for the chest means that the type of wounds suspects usually sustain are likely to be fatal, he added.

There are only two ways to shut down the human body using deadly force, he said. The first is loss of blood, and the other is a shot to the central nervous system. Police officers are trained to shoot at center mass, in the torso area.

Due to TV and movies non gun owning Americans think most people can shoot where they want to. This is not true. There is the sudden jolt, combined with the sudden noise, combined with angst of knowing you are intentionally shooting someone.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2021, 5:09 pm

What would the narrative be if the police officer had been black?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2021, 5:25 pm

Well, so much for my explanitiion
Ohio cop who fatally shot Ma’Khia Bryant is military-trained marksman: report

Quote:
The Ohio police officer who shot to death a black teenage girl in a disturbing encounter with a knife appears to be a military-trained marksman specializing in firing an assault rifle, according to a report Wednesday.

Columbus Police Officer Nicholas Reardon — who was placed on paid leave after fatally shooting 16-year-old Ma’Khia Bryant on Tuesday — is a US Air National Guardsman who received an expert marksman badge with an M4 carbine rifle, according to the Daily Beast.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2021, 8:00 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Well, so much for my explanitiion
Ohio cop who fatally shot Ma’Khia Bryant is military-trained marksman: report
Quote:
The Ohio police officer who shot to death a black teenage girl in a disturbing encounter with a knife appears to be a military-trained marksman specializing in firing an assault rifle, according to a report Wednesday

This would explain why he's been put on leave. Leaves me scratching my head thinking why he thought killing a teenage girl is preferable to disabling her?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2021, 8:01 pm

Mr Reynholm wrote:

Perhaps in your imagination

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2021, 10:08 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:

Perhaps in your imagination

Your response is a Non Sequitur.
Can you clarify? Never mind.
We all know that we never would have heard of this incident if the officer had been black or the races reversed. It would not fit the MSM narrative.