Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2021, 1:45 am

Nah, not the next mass shooting in the USA - who knows, that could be anywhere, USA. I mean the next local shooting.. it’s not even Summer yet and they’ve started. I saw a bunch of cops racing around on Saturday late afternoon. Turns out they were on their way to a shooting outside a restaurant/mall (there have been others recently downtown involving these same suburban gangs) where a 29yo corrections officer got shot and killed. Then today someone got shot at a mall about 15 blocks from my friend’s office - both shootings about the same distance away from where I live in different directions. Bunch of trigger happy morons. At least other criminal groups here have the decency to do their dirty work at night and in private vs endangering the public.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2021, 5:54 pm

likely targets
church
school
mosque
nightclub/concert
7-11
public transport

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2021, 6:17 pm

cyberdad wrote:
likely targets
church
school
mosque
nightclub/concert
7-11
public transport

church - not likely. these are gang retaliations, not mass shootings at gathering places. plus they're closed for covid.
school - only if they pop another rival gang's high school level dealer (a few have been popped, more will likely come.)
mosque - not likely - I don't think any/many of these gangsters are muslims, but I also have no idea what the prominent faith of Somalia is IF those guys are still in this war
nightclub/concert are all cancelled due to covid
7-11 - maaaaybe if they happen to pull over for munchies and get spotted by rivals
public

More likely is a drive by at some gangster's family home - or another highly public spot like a restaurant (again) or shopping mall. (again)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2021, 6:21 pm

Somalis tend to be Muslims.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2021, 7:13 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
likely targets
church
school
mosque
nightclub/concert
7-11
public transport

church - not likely. these are gang retaliations, not mass shootings at gathering places. plus they're closed for covid.
school - only if they pop another rival gang's high school level dealer (a few have been popped, more will likely come.)
mosque - not likely - I don't think any/many of these gangsters are muslims, but I also have no idea what the prominent faith of Somalia is IF those guys are still in this war
nightclub/concert are all cancelled due to covid
7-11 - maaaaybe if they happen to pull over for munchies and get spotted by rivals
public

More likely is a drive by at some gangster's family home - or another highly public spot like a restaurant (again) or shopping mall. (again)

Right, most mass shooters are not Somali

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2021, 7:25 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Nah, not the next mass shooting in the USA - who knows, that could be anywhere, USA. I mean the next local shooting

Plugged Vancouver gang war in to Google ...
8O

Among the finds, 2009 was a notable year.

The current year,
3 men killed in 4 days as gang tensions rise in Metro Vancouver
Sheila Scott
Multi-skilled Journalist, CTV News Vancouver
Published Monday, January 11, 2021 9:01AM PST

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/3-men-killed-in-4 ... -1.5261847

Quote:
" "At times it seems that some have lost the understanding of the value of life. Three families in three nights have come to grips with losing a loved one. It seems likely more families will be impacted as this trend continues," Assistant Commissioner Michael LeSage with the Combined Forces Special Enforcement Unit told reporters Sunday

LeSage noted Metro Vancouver has seen similar violence in the past, noting two high profile gang shootings in 2010 and 2011.

“Unfortunately we have seen back and forth gang related shootings and murders for decades in British Columbia and not enough done to curb the involvement of our youth in gang violence," he said.

“Many may remember the extreme violence that touched our communities across the province in the mid-2000s, notably hallmarked by the murders of Gurmit Dhak and then Jonathan Bacon … wound up with all of their lies, backstabbing, and double-crossing is their thirst for violence.”"

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2021, 7:29 pm

also found,
Police identify Langley homicide victim as a long-standing gang member
Investigators say Todd Gouwenberg, 46, was associated with the United Nations gang
Karin Larsen · CBC News · Posted: Apr 22, 2021 1:48 PM PT | Last Updated: April 22

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british- ... -1.5998204

Quote:
Mann said elements of current gang violence are related to the historic 2008 and 2009 gang war between the Red Scorpions, Independent Soldiers and Wolf Pack versus the United Nations.

He also said new players on the gang landscape are contributing to the escalation.

"Today's gang conflict … is emerging from the Townline Hill conflict [in Abbotsford] and a number of other regional and historical conflicts," he said. "Contributing factors include connections to past conflicts, new and quickly changing alliances and allegiances, family connections, competition over drug lines, backstabbing and debt collection."

According to Mann, there has been an overall reduction in gang homicides provincially the past four years, down from 49 in 2017, to 23 in 2020. He said so far in 2021, there have been 15 gang related homicides.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2021, 6:12 pm

Apparently today’s is at YVR:

https://www.citynews1130.com/2021/05/09 ... TYvv2EqrVc

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2021, 6:37 pm

Looking at the targets from all the previous mass shootings we find that over 90% of them happen in gun-free zones.  According to the Crime Prevention Research Center, between 1950 and 2018 97.8 percent of all mass public shootings occurred in gun-free zones. Similarly, in the 20 states that allow teachers to be armed, there have been no school shootings (as well as no accidents or injuries caused by firearms possessed by teachers).

The Gun-Free School Zones Act of the U.S. Congress prohibits any unauthorized individual from knowingly possessing a loaded or unsecured firearm at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone as defined by 18 U.S.C. § 921.  The law applies to public, private, and parochial elementary schools and high schools, and to non-private property within 1000 feet of them.

Most mass shootings seem to occur at schools, houses of worship, shopping centers, and nightclubs -- places where people gather, expecting to be safe and protected.  Mass Shooters almost never target police stations, gun shows, or places where there is a guarantee of of large numbers of armed citizens who will probably not hesitate to shoot back.

In the Garlic Festival shootings in Gilroy, California, the victims were trapped inside a fenced-in area after going through metal detectors to make sure that they were disarmed.  The shooter avoided the metal detectors by cutting through the fence and then attacking a victim pool that the Gilroy authorities had rendered incapable of defending themselves.

Mass shooters almost never target police stations, gun shows, Republican rallies, Klan rallies, or other places where other attendees are expected to be armed and will likely shoot back.

"An armed society is a polite society.  Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." -- Robert A. Heinlein (1907-1988)

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2021, 6:48 pm

Fnord wrote:
Most mass shootings seem to occur at schools, houses of worship, shopping centers, and nightclubs -- places where people gather, expecting to be safe and protected.  Mass Shooters almost never target police stations, gun shows, or places where there is a guarantee of of large numbers of armed citizens who will probably not hesitate to shoot back.
Mass shooters almost never target police stations, gun shows, Republican rallies, Klan rallies, or other places where other attendees are expected to be armed and will likely shoot back.

The 1st Law Of Being a Successful Predator is,
Avoid prey who can ruin your entire day.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2021, 11:31 pm

Update: A local gang member got executed at the airport. Not sure if he was a leader, but at least a higher up. Suspects managed to get away in a Honda Pilot that was then found burning in the suburbs in a neighbourhood 5 or so blocks away from my childhood home.

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-new ... 1620605527

Sooo, regardless of the wishes of police or the general public, this tit for tat back and forth bs of 2-3 drug gangs killing each other is going to go on for several weeks, Hell, maybe even all Summer. Maybe Covid times has these gangsters bored out of their minds so they keep creating games to play.. or maybe Covid has created a lot of drug addicts so these guys are fighting over very lucrative territory for the remainder of Covid while people are sitting around doing drugs all day and night instead of going to work. Or maybe it’s just the same ol’ same ol’ cycle of gangsters being gangsters.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2021, 1:26 am

I grew up about ten blocks away from a city that has constant shootings.
I don't know how it's doing right now, but I know a few years ago, there was at least two shootings a week.
I actually got called for jury duty for one of them, it was a pretty big deal. They ended up dismissing me because I had gone to my third shift job the night prior. Whoops.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2021, 1:33 am

Probably in Colorado.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2021, 1:49 am

Gang shootings have escalated quite a bit over the last decade or so, especially the last few years. These guys shooting each other aren't stereotypical underprivileged people from rough neighbourhoods who get into drugs and gangs for lack of other opportunities. Often they live in $M-to-multi-$M family homes and choose the "exciting," life of being a gangster after idolizing the lifestyle in rap music videos and listening to stories about gangsters who ran things and got killed in the 1990's. It's ridiculous, really.

Sweetleaf wrote:
Probably in Colorado.

Possible, but improbable. Some of these local gangsters have been connected to shootings as far away as Mexico, so, these guys are all over the map.. but Colorado? Unlikely.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2021, 2:02 am

goldfish21 wrote:
Gang shootings have escalated quite a bit over the last decade or so, especially the last few years. These guys shooting each other aren't stereotypical underprivileged people from rough neighbourhoods who get into drugs and gangs for lack of other opportunities. Often they live in $M-to-multi-$M family homes and choose the "exciting," life of being a gangster after idolizing the lifestyle in rap music videos and listening to stories about gangsters who ran things and got killed in the 1990's. It's ridiculous, really.

Sweetleaf wrote:
Probably in Colorado.

Possible, but improbable. Some of these local gangsters have been connected to shootings as far away as Mexico, so, these guys are all over the map.. but Colorado? Unlikely.

Ahh I was thinking about individual like random shootings not gang stuff, cause seems we get a lot of mass shooters and such in Colorado but yeah I think Colorado is probably a bit less gang infested than some other places. Saw another thread a few minutes ago of some shooting in colorado springs..and thought this might be related to that one.

TwisterUprocker
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 May 2021, 2:46 am

goldfish21 wrote:

So kind of like Alex DeLarge from Clockwork Orange.