Page 1 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2021, 6:17 pm

Quote:
Joe Biden hands US border crisis to Kamala Harris
25/03/2021|3min

President Joe Biden has placed Vice President Kamala Harris in charge of stemming the migrant crisis at the US-Mexico border.

President Biden said he could think of “nobody who is better qualified” for the role.

“I gave you a tough job and you're smiling but there's no one better to try to organise this,” he said.

“When she speaks, she speaks for me, doesn’t have to check with me. She knows what she’s doing.”

The vice president will lead a diplomatic effort with Mexico and the Northern Triangle countries of Guatemala, Honduras and El Salvador to address the “root causes” of the migration.

“The surge we’re dealing with now started at the end of the last administration, but it is our responsibility to deal with it humanely and to stop what’s happening,” President Biden said.

“The vice president's agreed – among multiple other things and I appreciate it – agreed to lead our diplomatic effort and work with those nations to accept the returnees and enhance migration enforcement at their borders.

“I have asked her, the VP, today, because she is the most qualified person to do it, to lead our efforts with Mexico and the Northern Triangle and the countries that are going to need help in stemming the movement of so many folks, stemming the migration to our southern border.”

https://www.skynews.com.au/details/_624 ... 20%20share

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2021, 6:39 pm

And why has the fox empire deemed this newsworthy Pepe?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2021, 12:17 am

She's a former prosecutor who enforced the law. Of course she's qualified.

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2021, 1:05 am

I am confused. I thought Trump was the one who wanted to build the wall, and Biden was the one who said not a single inch of the wall will be added once he is the president. Of course one argument is that wall is not effective, which implies that something else more effective should be in place of it. But I am still confused. I thought its a Republican thing to try to stop immigrants from Mexico?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2021, 1:20 am

QFT wrote:
I am confused. I thought Trump was the one who wanted to build the wall, and Biden was the one who said not a single inch of the wall will be added once he is the president. Of course one argument is that wall is not effective, which implies that something else more effective should be in place of it. But I am still confused. I thought its a Republican thing to try to stop immigrants from Mexico?

Illegal immigration is the same whoever is in power. Trump just had to go that one step further and tar all Mexicans as criminals with his use of language which was both a dog whistle to racists and he could still hide behind in case he's dragged to court. (Trump has more lives than a proverbial cat). 

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2021, 2:44 am

cyberdad wrote:
QFT wrote:

Illegal immigration is the same whoever is in power. Trump just had to go that one step further and tar all Mexicans as criminals with his use of language which was both a dog whistle to racists and he could still hide behind in case he's dragged to court. (Trump has more lives than a proverbial cat). 

Language, maybe, but the actual wall does not imply that. After all, the wall doesn't stop Mexicans from boarding the plane to the US. It only stops them from walking to the US. And I assume there aren't legal ways of simply walking into the US (regardless of whether its Mexicans or Canadians). The fact that he didn't need the wall with Canada simply says there are "more" Mexicans that would try it than Canadians that would, but it doesn't say "all would".

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2021, 4:31 am

QFT wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
QFT wrote:

Language, maybe, but the actual wall does not imply that. After all, the wall doesn't stop Mexicans from boarding the plane to the US. It only stops them from walking to the US. And I assume there aren't legal ways of simply walking into the US (regardless of whether its Mexicans or Canadians). The fact that he didn't need the wall with Canada simply says there are "more" Mexicans that would try it than Canadians that would, but it doesn't say "all would".

Our Australian conservative government of John Howard used the same fear tactics about stopping illegal Asian boat people, Everybody was irrationally obsessed with boats (much the same as Americans obsessions that a wall would stop walking Mexicans).

In Australia the reality is most illegals fly by plane and most illegals are white New Zealanders :lol:

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2021, 4:38 am

cyberdad wrote:
Our Australian conservative government of John Howard used the same fear tactics about stopping illegal Asian boat people, Everybody was irrationally obsessed with boats (much the same as Americans obsessions that a wall would stop walking Mexicans).

There are arguments on both sides. Regardless where you stand on the issue, the fact is that republicans are trying to focus on illegal immigration, democrats do not. The part that is surprising is that Biden is suddenly trying to deal with illegal immigration, despite the fact that he is a democrat.

cyberdad wrote:
In Australia the reality is most illegals fly by plane

How is it possible? Wouldn't they be stopped when they go through customs at the airport?

cyberdad wrote:
and most illegals are white New Zealanders :lol:

What is their motivation? I always assumed that economies in Australia and New Zeland are roughly the same, although I haven't looked into it, it was just an assumption.

I do, however, recall something else though. Someone living in New Zeland told me that she was really worried that they want to openly let Asians flood both Australia and New Zeland because they consider it to be australasia. But then several years later I learned that actually "austral" stands for "south" and "autralasia" simply means "south of asia". So they have no intention of combining australia with asia. They simply used the word "south" both as the name of the country (australia) and as "south of asia" (australasia).

Daddy63
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2021, 1:29 pm

cyberdad wrote:

In Australia the reality is most illegals fly by plane and most illegals are white New Zealanders :lol:

When you have a nationalist government like Australia, Canada or the US with free everything for people living there of course people are going to come. It doesn't matter if you are completely surrounded by water and the only way in is by boat or airplane.

Redd_Kross
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2021, 2:24 pm

Daddy63 wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

When you have a nationalist government like Australia, Canada or the US with free everything for people living there of course people are going to come. It doesn't matter if you are completely surrounded by water and the only way in is by boat or airplane.

Compared to most of Europe, America is particularly bad at providing "free everything for people". Healthcare and college textbooks are two things that immediately spring to mind. Nonetheless I'd imagine the overall standard of living is generally higher than in Mexico or Cuba? So it's still appealing. The bigger mystery is why people coming to the USA are such a surprise, when Americans spend so much of their time telling everyone how great the place is. And why that's suddenly a problem when America is a nation founded on immigration and enterprise. Especially when American trade barriers and sanctions are partly why these neighbouring nations are so poor. Shouldn't exactly come as a shock, should it?

If extra people aren't wanted, surely the international message should be "Look at our poverty figures, look at the crime rates, look at the corruption. Honestly it's rubbish here, you don't want to move in, go away". :D

Daddy63
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2021, 2:46 pm

Redd_Kross wrote:
Daddy63 wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Compared to most of Europe, America is particularly bad at providing "free everything for people". Healthcare and college textbooks are two things that immediately spring to mind. Nonetheless I'd imagine the overall standard of living is generally higher than in Mexico or Cuba? So it's still appealing. The bigger mystery is why people coming to the USA are such a surprise, when Americans spend so much of their time telling everyone how great the place is. And why that's suddenly a problem when America is a nation founded on immigration and enterprise. Especially when American trade barriers and sanctions are partly why these neighbouring nations are so poor. Shouldn't exactly come as a shock, should it?

If extra people aren't wanted, surely the international message should be "Look at our poverty figures, look at the crime rates, look at the corruption. Honestly it's rubbish here, you don't want to move in, go away". :D

So maybe Nationalism is not as strong in the US as in those other countries. It's pretty strong nonetheless. 6B people around the world live on less than $10 a day. Most of them would like to have a job and a path to wealth and control of factors of production. The US probably offers just about the best path to that of any developed nation.

Which US trade barriers make other nations poor? N Korea? Cuba?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2021, 8:54 pm

Redd_Kross wrote:
Daddy63 wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Living here in America, I concur.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2021, 10:48 pm

QFT wrote:
There are arguments on both sides. Regardless where you stand on the issue, the fact is that republicans are trying to focus on illegal immigration, democrats do not. The part that is surprising is that Biden is suddenly trying to deal with illegal immigration, despite the fact that he is a democrat. .

Do you seriously think Biden is going to open the doors and just let everybody in? Every leader has a responsibility to border control. As Kraichie mentioned Kamala Harris is amply qualified to deal with immigration law and policy.

QFT wrote:
How is it possible? Wouldn't they be stopped when they go through customs at the airport?.

The vast majority of illegals fly in on work visas and/or student visas and/or travel/visas. They then overstay their visa. The second most common source is those who steal a ride on ships. Number three are those who walk across the border in the UIS or travel by boat across the sea to Australia.

QFT wrote:
What is their motivation? I always assumed that economies in Australia and New Zeland are roughly the same, although I haven't looked into it, it was just an assumption..

The job market in NZ is limited so we get large numbers of white NZs overstaying their visas. Ironically this never gets one mention in the conservative press who when they do mention NZ tend to fall back to race baiting going after Moari or pacific islanders and tarring them all as criminals.

QFT wrote:
I do, however, recall something else though. Someone living in New Zeland told me that she was really worried that they want to openly let Asians flood both Australia and New Zeland because they consider it to be australasia. But then several years later I learned that actually "austral" stands for "south" and "autralasia" simply means "south of asia". So they have no intention of combining australia with asia. They simply used the word "south" both as the name of the country (australia) and as "south of asia" (australasia).

I don't know about that reason, but 99% of white Aussies and NZers don't want unregulated immigration and I even fall into that camp, But my reasons are to do with sustainably managing our forests, fisheries and ecosystems. For others it might be more likely they dont want to live next door to darkies or have their kids go to schools where there are large numbers of migrants

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2021, 4:37 am

Quote:
‘This is not a zoo’: Biden administration blocks Ted Cruz from filming migrant facility
29/03/2021|4min

Senator Ted Cruz has released a video he says shows a Biden administration staffer clashing with him at a border facility and trying to prevent him from filming – telling the Republican “this is not a zoo, sir”.

Senator Cruz said the facility he filmed in Donna, Texas, was a “giant tent city”.

He and eighteen of his colleagues visited the border to see for themselves the unfolding humanitarian crisis.

“We went and toured the Biden cages, you know for four years we heard Democrats and the media talking about kids in cages under president Trump, Joe Biden has built more cages, the cages are bigger and they’re more full,” he said.

In the video Senator Cruz shared, the staffer quickly jumped in the frame after he began filming.

“Please give dignity to the people,” the staffer said.

“So you work for the commissioner, you’re a senior adviser, you were hired two weeks ago and you’re instructed to ask us to not have any pictures taken here because the political leadership at DHS does not want the American people to know it,” Senator Cruz said.

“Please respect the rules,” the staffer said.

“You keep standing in front of the picture, so you don’t want the pictures taken, the rules are arbitrary, and they’re designed to keep the American people in the dark,” Senator Cruz said.

Senator Cruz told Fox News the children in the Donna facility were testing positive for COVID-19 at “roughly” a 10 per cent rate.

“They’re locking them in these cages where COVID in a pandemic is a real risk, it is inhumane, it is unconscionable, and it’s the direct result of the political decisions that Joe Biden has made,” he said.

“It's massive, it's designed to hold a thousand people but under COVID restrictions, its capacity is 250.

“It right now has over 4,000 people in it, it is at a 1,500 per cent capacity and that meant you saw in these cages children, little boys and little girls, side by side, they're not six-feet apart, they’re not even six inches apart.”

https://www.skynews.com.au/details/_624 ... 20facility

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2021, 5:12 am

Pepe wrote:
Quote:
‘This is not a zoo’: Biden administration blocks Ted Cruz from filming migrant facility
29/03/2021|4min

Senator Ted Cruz has released a video he says shows a Biden administration staffer clashing with him at a border facility and trying to prevent him from filming – telling the Republican “this is not a zoo, sir”.

Senator Cruz said the facility he filmed in Donna, Texas, was a “giant tent city”.

He and eighteen of his colleagues visited the border to see for themselves the unfolding humanitarian crisis.

“We went and toured the Biden cages, you know for four years we heard Democrats and the media talking about kids in cages under president Trump, Joe Biden has built more cages, the cages are bigger and they’re more full,” he said.

In the video Senator Cruz shared, the staffer quickly jumped in the frame after he began filming.

“Please give dignity to the people,” the staffer said.

“So you work for the commissioner, you’re a senior adviser, you were hired two weeks ago and you’re instructed to ask us to not have any pictures taken here because the political leadership at DHS does not want the American people to know it,” Senator Cruz said.

“Please respect the rules,” the staffer said.

“You keep standing in front of the picture, so you don’t want the pictures taken, the rules are arbitrary, and they’re designed to keep the American people in the dark,” Senator Cruz said.

Senator Cruz told Fox News the children in the Donna facility were testing positive for COVID-19 at “roughly” a 10 per cent rate.

“They’re locking them in these cages where COVID in a pandemic is a real risk, it is inhumane, it is unconscionable, and it’s the direct result of the political decisions that Joe Biden has made,” he said.

“It's massive, it's designed to hold a thousand people but under COVID restrictions, its capacity is 250.

“It right now has over 4,000 people in it, it is at a 1,500 per cent capacity and that meant you saw in these cages children, little boys and little girls, side by side, they're not six-feet apart, they’re not even six inches apart.”

https://www.skynews.com.au/details/_624 ... 20facility

C'MON! Cruz is trying to hold Biden accountable for a problem exasperated by Trump! And then he has the nerve to call it unconscionable, even though packing children in cages in the age of Covid was a Republican strategy. Incidentally, that woman had every right to try stopping Cruz from filming, because she knew he was only interested in demonizing Biden and making migrants from Latin America pariahs, and not to keep the American people informed.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2021, 10:03 am

Probably get a lot better long term bang for their buck investing in those Triangle countries to stimulate their economies and create opportunities for people to continue working and living there. Might also have to deploy some cutting edge water capturing/irrigation technologies to drought stricken areas. Do the things that would make people able to stay where they're from vs. make the choice to risk their lives to get to the USA for survival.

Otherwise, with political, economic, and water insecurity.. people will keep coming - and ever more of them - and no fence or border patrol in the world is going to be able to manage them. Especially in the years ahead as parts of the world become uninhabitable via climate change. Places that can be forested & managed to remain inhabitable should have investments in them for the long term survival of peoples there.. otherwise, e v e r y o n e is moving North whether the USA likes it or not.

Redd_Kross wrote:
Daddy63 wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

They're the wrong colour. trump came right out and said it and asked why (white) people couldn't be coming from Norway or something vs. "s**thole countries."