4 mass shootings in 6 hours leave 39 wounded, 5 dead

Page 1 of 5 [ 65 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Aug 2013
Age: 63
Gender: Male
Posts: 25,485
Location: Long Island, New York

13 Jun 2021, 7:04 pm

ABC News

Quote:
At least four major U.S. cities were reeling from an onslaught of mass shootings over the weekend that left at least 39 people wounded, five dead and police officials alarmed that the surge in gun violence is a prelude to a bloody summer as the nation emerges from the pandemic.

Police in Austin, Cleveland, Chicago and Savannah were all investigating on Sunday mass shootings that erupted over a six-hour streak that began around 9 p.m. on Friday and spilled over into Saturday morning.

On Sunday morning, Savannah police were working to identify the suspect or suspects who rolled up in a dark-colored sedan and unleashed a barrage of gunfire around 9 p.m. Friday on a group of people standing in front of a home in a residential neighborhood of east Savannah. Minter identified a 20-year-old man killed in the ambush as Arthur Milton of Savannah.

He said two of the adults hit in the shooting were in critical condition. The baby and the two teenagers, ages 15 and 16, suffered non-life-threatening wounds.

The chief said the targeted home is the same one someone sprayed with bullets on Tuesday, a shooting that left no one injured.

One suspect was arrested and a second is being sought, said interim Police Chief Joseph Chacon.

Austin Mayor Steve Adler tweeted that the mass-casualty shooting occurred even as police initiated multiple violence prevention programs intended to combat a recent increase in shootings in the Texas capital city.

The Austin mass shooting was quickly followed by one that erupted on a sidewalk on the South Side of Chicago that left a woman dead and nine people injured, according to police.

Chicago police officials said investigators are searching for two suspects who walked up to a crowd gathered on the sidewalk in a business district in Chicago's Chatham neighborhood and opened fire just after 2 a.m. on Saturday, according to a police department online incident report. The nine adults who suffered non-life-threatening injuries in the shooting ranged in age from 23 to 46, according to the report.

The Cook County Medical Examiner identified Kimfier Miles, 29, as the woman killed in the shooting.

Those shot in the Chicago attack were among a total of 44 people shot across the city, including six fatally, since Friday, according to a review by ABC News of online crime reports.

The Gun Violence Archive, an online site that tracks shootings across the country, reports that there have been 270 mass shootings in 2021. The site defines mass shootings as single incidents in which four or more people are shot, regardless of whether anyone dies.


One of 14 people hurt in Austin,Texas, mass shooting dies
Quote:
One of 14 people injured in a mass shooting in downtown Austin, Texas, has died, police say.

Douglas John Kantor, 25, died from his injures around noon local time Sunday, Austin Police said in a release.

Authorities have arrested one person in connection with the shooting early Saturday morning, Mayor Steve Adler's office said earlier. Officials released no information about the arrest.

On Saturday, Austin Interim Police Chief Joseph Chacon told a press briefing that two of the injured were in critical condition.
Chacon said authorities had identified two male suspects, and added that it appeared this was an isolated incident between the two parties.

Almost all of those injured were "innocent bystanders," the chief added.

Bolding=mine


_________________
Professionally Identified and joined WP August 26, 2013
DSM 5: Autism Spectrum Disorder, DSM IV: Aspergers Moderate Severity.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman


Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Jul 2004
Age: 41
Gender: Male
Posts: 42,749
Location: Houston, Texas

13 Jun 2021, 11:18 pm

Total gun ban now!! !


_________________
Who’s better at math than a robot? They’re made of math!


auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 103,559
Location: the island of defective toy santas

13 Jun 2021, 11:19 pm

if there is a time to investigate "pre-crime" now is the time. the status-quo can't be maintained for much longer before the social fabric rips apart.



Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Jul 2004
Age: 41
Gender: Male
Posts: 42,749
Location: Houston, Texas

13 Jun 2021, 11:29 pm

Most of the pro-2nd amendment people also believe that "the South will rise again".

To them, gun control = "blacks win the race war"


_________________
Who’s better at math than a robot? They’re made of math!


cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 53
Gender: Male
Posts: 21,150

13 Jun 2021, 11:44 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
Most of the pro-2nd amendment people also believe that "the South will rise again".

To them, gun control = "blacks win the race war"


Careful TIm, you might irk some of our "anti-woke" folk here on WP :lol:



goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Feb 2013
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 14,449
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada

13 Jun 2021, 11:45 pm

Image


_________________
No :heart: for supporting trump. Because doing so is deplorable.


cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 53
Gender: Male
Posts: 21,150

13 Jun 2021, 11:47 pm

auntblabby wrote:
if there is a time to investigate "pre-crime" now is the time. the status-quo can't be maintained for much longer before the social fabric rips apart.


If you mean a Tom Cruise minority report type strategy don't they already do it?

It's called arrest a black person for the smallest minor infraction in case it escalates to gun violence



kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 76,255
Location: Queens, NYC

13 Jun 2021, 11:49 pm

Don’t mess with Abe Lincoln. He’s my man.



kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 76,255
Location: Queens, NYC

13 Jun 2021, 11:52 pm

I’m partially “anti-woke” myself….but I believe in gun control.

Stop with this narrow view of both conservatives and liberals.

This narrow view is a considerable cause of the crap that’s happening now.

Not all conservatives are Trumpites…and not all liberals believe 100% in the Woke Hype.



Last edited by kraftiekortie on 13 Jun 2021, 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 103,559
Location: the island of defective toy santas

13 Jun 2021, 11:53 pm

cyberdad wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
if there is a time to investigate "pre-crime" now is the time. the status-quo can't be maintained for much longer before the social fabric rips apart.


If you mean a Tom Cruise minority report type strategy don't they already do it? It's called arrest a black person for the smallest minor infraction in case it escalates to gun violence

it is about taking a cue from SPLC and investigating many more white supremacists/orgs before they start something. make a department of the FBI called "pre-crime" and DO IT. we all know [whether or not some will be intellectually honest enough to admit it] that the bulk of these mass murders are committed by people other than POC.



cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 53
Gender: Male
Posts: 21,150

13 Jun 2021, 11:55 pm

auntblabby wrote:
it is about taking a cue from SPLC and investigating many more white supremacists/orgs before they start something. make a department of the FBI called "pre-crime" and DO IT. we all know [whether or not some will be intellectually honest enough to admit it] that the bulk of these mass murders are committed by people other than POC.


That ain't gonna happen. Just look at the militia marching at Trump rallies. They have enough weapons to storm the capitol building in Washington....oh wait....



auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 103,559
Location: the island of defective toy santas

13 Jun 2021, 11:57 pm

cyberdad wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
it is about taking a cue from SPLC and investigating many more white supremacists/orgs before they start something. make a department of the FBI called "pre-crime" and DO IT. we all know [whether or not some will be intellectually honest enough to admit it] that the bulk of these mass murders are committed by people other than POC.


That ain't gonna happen. Just look at the militia marching at Trump rallies. They have enough weapons to storm the capitol building in Washington....oh wait....

and our once-great [morally flawed in a terminal sense] nation is dying from self-inflicted wounds of hatred.



cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 53
Gender: Male
Posts: 21,150

13 Jun 2021, 11:58 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
not all liberals believe 100% in the Woke Hype.


Depends what you classify as "woke"



cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 53
Gender: Male
Posts: 21,150

13 Jun 2021, 11:58 pm

auntblabby wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
it is about taking a cue from SPLC and investigating many more white supremacists/orgs before they start something. make a department of the FBI called "pre-crime" and DO IT. we all know [whether or not some will be intellectually honest enough to admit it] that the bulk of these mass murders are committed by people other than POC.


That ain't gonna happen. Just look at the militia marching at Trump rallies. They have enough weapons to storm the capitol building in Washington....oh wait....

and our once-great [morally flawed in a terminal sense] nation is dying from self-inflicted wounds of hatred.


And not for the first time...



kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 76,255
Location: Queens, NYC

13 Jun 2021, 11:58 pm

Pre-crime is a concept found in “1984.”

Don’t stoop down to the level of Trump.



kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 76,255
Location: Queens, NYC

14 Jun 2021, 12:01 am

There’s good aspects to “woke” and there’s bad aspects to “woke”

At its worst, it can be almost as bad as Trumpism and can acquire the characteristics of the Chinese Cultural Revolution of the 60s.

At its best, it can be a clarion call for harmony amongst all people.