Page 3 of 5 [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2021, 11:34 pm

Mr Reynholm wrote:
salad wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
why is racism here so durable? what causes it to persist?

Whether we like it or not racism is hardwired into the DNA of this country. The fact that we are 1,000 times less racist than we used to be is really impressive

No country has done more to end racism than the United States. Hating America is very fashionable nowadays but you're way off the mark.

I think you mean "No country in the world has a better opportunity to end racism than the United States".

The way I see it is both the mind is somewhat willing and the flesh is weak but the lip service is on overdrive.

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2021, 9:48 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:
salad wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
why is racism here so durable? what causes it to persist?

Whether we like it or not racism is hardwired into the DNA of this country. The fact that we are 1,000 times less racist than we used to be is really impressive

No country has done more to end racism than the United States. Hating America is very fashionable nowadays but you're way off the mark.

I think you mean "No country in the world has a better opportunity to end racism than the United States".

The way I see it is both the mind is somewhat willing and the flesh is weak but the lip service is on overdrive.

No I mean what I said. Racism is not peculiar to the United States or to white people. It is part of human nature. The US has done much to try to compensate for that.
But hating America is incredibly popular these days.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2021, 10:02 pm

Mr Reynholm wrote:
No I mean what I said. Racism is not peculiar to the United States or to white people. It is part of human nature. The US has done much to try to compensate for that.
But hating America is incredibly popular these days.

America does have a peculiar treatment of 15% of its population where they were subject to 300 years of slavery/bondage followed by 100 years of segregation.

No other country in the world (even South Africa which is often cited as the most racist place in the world) has ever done that to one group of people.

Do you honestly think the legacy of that type/level of racism can be forgotten overnight? do you honestly (in you heart of hearts) think white americans embrace black people with open arms? you must be dreaming.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2021, 10:07 pm

amuuurican right wingers seem to think they can fool the rest of the world into believing their own right-wing propaganda.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2021, 10:14 pm

auntblabby wrote:
amuuurican right wingers seem to think they can fool the rest of the world into believing their own right-wing propaganda.

It's interesting that two of the most evil racists (the Nazis and white South African government) learned how to treat jews and blacks in their country by observing the United States.

The US were trailblazers when it came to genocide, scientific racism and segregation. They made it into both a science and an art.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2021, 10:18 pm

amuuurica can't figure out which direction it wants to go.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2021, 10:22 pm

auntblabby wrote:

I know....its called maintaining the status quo

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2021, 10:27 pm

cyberdad wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

i believe if there was no left wing here, our society and gov't would resemble nazi-era germany. after all, we had a "business plot" against democracy/FDR in 1933 which, if it was not thwarted by gen. butler, could well have succeeded. we had a critical mass of evil rich folk who wanted to do away with democracy root and branch. we still do, with only a severely weakened left wing to deter it.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2021, 10:31 pm

auntblabby wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

i believe if there was no left wing here, our society and gov't would resemble nazi-era germany. after all, we had a "business plot" against democracy/FDR in 1933 which, if it was not thwarted by gen. butler, could well have succeeded. we had a critical mass of evil rich folk who wanted to do away with democracy root and branch. we still do, with only a severely weakened left wing to deter it.

Without unions/civil rights movements it would be made up of white-only sundown towns, Cities with sharply segregated ghettos and a mass of poor people working at minimum wage serving a wealth merchant elite.

Literally an extreme version of what actually existed before the 1950s.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2021, 10:32 pm

cyberdad wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Without unions/civil rights movements it would be made up of white-only sundown towns, Cities with sharply segregated ghettos and a mass of poor people working at minimum wage serving a wealth merchant elite.

Literally an extreme version of what actually existed before the 1950s.

and the thought of this scenario makes our right wing happy for some reason.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2021, 10:39 pm

auntblabby wrote:

Quite literally - Make America Great Again is code for lets return to the 1950s

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2021, 10:40 pm

cyberdad wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Quite literally - Make America Great Again is code for lets return to the 1950s

more like the 1890s, the first gilded age. many righties want a feudal society aka the divine right of kings.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2021, 12:56 am

This is part of the intervention needed for American society. Coming to terms with their past and how it feeds into a sense of patriotism that is perhaps false, Australian nationalists share similar blinkers when it comes to conflating patriotism with identity,

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2021, 1:04 am

auntblabby wrote:
more like the 1890s, the first gilded age. many righties want a feudal society aka the divine right of kings.

Currently Americans are stuck between neocons who want to go back to a 1950s revisioning of Manifest Destiny and the MAGA paleocons you describe, when it comes to the right.

But let's not forget the centrists who think they're still dealing with '70s Republicans. They might be even more dangerous than the first two because they don't understand the main threat is internal, instead they want bipartisanship with the people who enable the threat.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2021, 1:09 am

yeh, those bipartisan types are like soft pet dogs that meet up with wolves, not realizing they are on the wolf's menu.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2021, 1:10 am

funeralxempire wrote:
But let's not forget the centrists who think they're still dealing with '70s Republicans. They might be even more dangerous than the first two because they don't understand the main threat is internal, instead they want bipartisanship with the people who enable the threat.

They are the ones pretending the capitol riots were a peaceful protest and that CRT should be banned?