Anyone Keeping Up With the January 6th Riot?

Page 10 of 23 [ 364 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 23  Next

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2021, 5:51 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-calls-police-officer-killed-202125447.html

And here's another reminder of why I hate Trump so much.

Few Conservatives, if any, think riots are appropriate. Trump and his personality cult are merely radicals, not Conservative at all.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2021, 6:00 pm

kokopelli wrote:
If it is disruptive to the court or places others in risk, then certainly.

Again, harsh.

Quote:
In court filings, prosecutors said Goodwyn had multiple violations of the conditions of his release and that he challenged instruction from the PSA by "using word games, and becoming easily frustrated, angry and negative."

"The defendant's multiple violations appear to be centered primarily around one issue: the defendant's petulant and insolent behavior," prosecutors told the judge. "In lieu of complying with the Court's conditions, the defendant has flouted the conditions, making clear that he does not appreciate the privilege of pretrial release provided to him by the Court."

Emphasis mine.
You do realize that the prosecutor is not an impartial source, right? That they're trying to put the man in jail and so will say all sorts of things to cast him in a poor light? Kinda like how you can't take a defense attorney at face value when he describes his client as a future rocket scientist who was also going to cure cancer before this unfortunate misunderstanding occurred.

kokopelli wrote:
So he is a nothing more than a spoiled rotten brat who thinks he should be above the law because of his "autism". The sooner that he learns that he's nothing special and is bound by the same laws as the rest of us, the better off he will be.

You seem to be getting the cart before the horse here regarding an accusation vs a conviction, and your personal hostility towards this defendant appears to be clouding your judgment.

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2021, 6:01 pm

Dox47 wrote:
kokopelli wrote:
If it is disruptive to the court or places others in risk, then certainly.

Again, harsh.

Quote:
In court filings, prosecutors said Goodwyn had multiple violations of the conditions of his release and that he challenged instruction from the PSA by "using word games, and becoming easily frustrated, angry and negative."

"The defendant's multiple violations appear to be centered primarily around one issue: the defendant's petulant and insolent behavior," prosecutors told the judge. "In lieu of complying with the Court's conditions, the defendant has flouted the conditions, making clear that he does not appreciate the privilege of pretrial release provided to him by the Court."

Emphasis mine.
You do realize that the prosecutor is not an impartial source, right? That they're trying to put the man in jail and so will say all sorts of things to cast him in a poor light? Kinda like how you can't take a defense attorney at face value when he describes his client as a future rocket scientist who was also going to cure cancer before this unfortunate misunderstanding occurred.

kokopelli wrote:
So he is a nothing more than a spoiled rotten brat who thinks he should be above the law because of his "autism". The sooner that he learns that he's nothing special and is bound by the same laws as the rest of us, the better off he will be.

You seem to be getting the cart before the horse here regarding an accusation vs a conviction, and your personal hostility towards this defendant appears to be clouding your judgment.

I don't tolerate self important snowflakes very well.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2021, 6:39 pm

kokopelli wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Few Conservatives, if any, think riots are appropriate. Trump and his personality cult are merely radicals, not Conservative at all.

Actually, a recent poll found two thirds of Republicans believe the riot was justifiable, and the participants patriots.
But seriously, I hope that's not true.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2021, 7:08 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
kokopelli wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Actually, a recent poll found two thirds of Republicans believe the riot was justifiable, and the participants patriots.

There seems to be two concerns for the rest of the world. First is that republican voters seem to have maintained some type of sympathy for the Jan 6th rioters and second the support for Trump which is likely to see him re-appointed to lead the republicans in 2024. The lack of accountability of the previous regime despite the role of the POTUS in stirring the mob demonstrates the instability and lack of confidence in conservative Americans to provide leadership,

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2021, 7:10 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
kokopelli wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

There seems to be two concerns for the rest of the world. First is that republican voters seem to have maintained some type of sympathy for the Jan 6th rioters and second the support for Trump which is likely to see him re-appointed to lead the republicans in 2024. The lack of accountability of the previous regime despite the role of the POTUS in stirring the mob demonstrates the instability and lack of confidence in conservative Americans to provide leadership,

Sadly, all true. :(

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2021, 8:09 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
kokopelli wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

That just goes to show that there are many non-Conservative Republicans.

Too many people don't understand Conservatism. They think that Conservatism is about whether you are for or against certain topics.

In reality, Conservatism has everything to do with your outlook on life and what platforms you are for or against largely derive from that outlook on life.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2021, 8:31 pm

The challenge for the GOP is to move in the other direction, toward a critical mass that ensures supporters of their party don't re-elect crazy people who spout conspiracies and spur mobs to lynch members of the opposition and even members of their own party.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”

It would appear the "good" republicans have done nothing for the last 5 years.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2021, 10:12 pm

kokopelli wrote:

Not big on the presumption of innocence and the right to a fair trial either, are you?

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2021, 10:18 pm

kokopelli wrote:

That just goes to show that there are many non-Conservative Republicans.

That is actually an excellent observation, and one that seems to flummox a lot of people around here. I'll admit that even I've been surprised by the turn the GOP base has taken in recent years, I knew that it was much less homogeneous than usually presumed, but I didn't expect it to turn so quickly on issues like free trade and free markets.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2021, 10:44 pm

Well....duhhhh.Thats exactly the point.

There are Republicans, and then there are Trump supporters. Not the same thing.

And there are Conservatives, and then there are Trump supporters. Not the same thing.

Trump violated Conservative, and GOP values. Like free trade, fiscal responsibility (no GOP practiced that), but also...little things like...the Constitution, separation of powers, the rule of law, and respecting elections.

The GOP is no more, and has been replaced by the Cult of Trump. Completely different kind of animal.

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2021, 4:42 am

Dox47 wrote:
kokopelli wrote:

Not big on the presumption of innocence and the right to a fair trial either, are you?

The presumption of innocence relates ONLY to a courtroom. There is absolutely nothing in the law or in morals or in ethics that compels us to presume someone is innocent in our own opinions of them. We are entirely free to hold an opinion of someone independent of legal issues in a court case.

And in a trial, a defendant who cannot behave is not entitled to having society bend over backwards to give in to his demands.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2021, 5:23 am

kokopelli wrote:
And in a trial, a defendant who cannot behave is not entitled to having society bend over backwards to give in to his demands.

Making an accommodating for someone who can't wear a mask is "bending over backwards"? I'd hate to see what you thought of someone who needed a more complicated medical accommodation.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2021, 7:05 am

Anyway, back to thread, another rioter caught hiding in Texas

Thomas John Ballard, a.k.a Thomas Cliff Ballard, 35, of Fort Worth, is charged with federal offenses that include assaulting, resisting or impeding certain officers using a dangerous weapon; engaging in physical violence in a restricted building or grounds with a deadly or dangerous weapon; and civil disorder, among other charges. Ballard made his initial court appearance in the Northern District of Texas Tuesday, Aug. 10 at 2 p.m.
https://spectrumlocalnews.com/tx/south- ... pitol-riot

Love this....catchem...catchem all....

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2021, 7:14 am

Serious repurcussions for those who survived the January 6th riots.

AOC says she thought she would not only die, but she thought the rioters would have raped her

I am sure other democrats (and even republicans like Mike Pence) might still have PTSD even 8 months after that terrible event.

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2021, 4:16 pm

Dox47 wrote:
kokopelli wrote:

Making an accommodating for someone who can't wear a mask is "bending over backwards"? I'd hate to see what you thought of someone who needed a more complicated medical accommodation.

There is nothing about the guy that makes me think that he has any interest at all in making even the slightest effort to comply with the court's orders. All he wants to do is have his own way no matter what. But then, if he's been excused from complying with everyone all his life because he is special. That makes him a spoiled brat, not a freedom fighter.