Amy Cooper tells her side of the story

Page 1 of 10 [ 156 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2021, 4:54 pm

‘Central Park Karen’ Amy Cooper says she’s ‘terrified’ to walk dog after viral 911 call

Quote:
Cooper still believes that she had no choice but to call the cops on birder Christian Cooper, whom she claimed threatened her and her dog when she didn’t comply with his request to put the animal on a leash in Central Park.

“I don’t know that as a woman alone in a park that I had another option,” Amy said on the podcast “Honestly with Bari Weiss” that came out Tuesday.

She claimed that she was about to put the leash on when Christian apparently told her that if she didn’t comply, he’d do something that she was “not going to like.”

“I’m trying to figure out, you know, what does that mean? Is that a physical attack on me? Is that to my dog? Like, what is he about to do?” she said.

She said Christian, who was holding a bike helmet in one of his hands, pulled out dog treats and called the pooch over to him.

I’m thinking, ‘Oh my gosh, is this guy like going to like lure my dog over and try to like hit him with this bike helmet?'” she recalled.

At some point, she realized that Christian had begun filming her.

“It’s really weird because he’s still standing there, you know, same very physical posture, and suddenly out of him comes this voice from man who’s been very dominant towards me,” she said.

“Suddenly, you know, almost this victimized voicing [sic], [saying,] ‘Don’t come near me. Don’t come any closer,” she said. “Like, almost like he’s terrified of me … To me that’s even more terrifying now because you’ve gone from screaming at me — if you kept screaming at me, at least it was consistent, but now his whole verbal demeanor has changed.”

The dog owner said she asked Christian to stop recording her and when he didn’t listen, she decided to call 911.

I’d explored all my options. I tried to leave. I tried to look for anyone who’s around,” she recalled. “There was no noise, no sound. And it was, you know, it was my last attempt to sort of hope that he would step down and leave me alone.”

She said that the encounter and the ensuing backlash forced her to flee her home and has left her traumatized about taking her dog outside.

Christian could not be immediately reached for comment on Tuesday.

Asked what she would want to say to him, Amy said that she’s thought about it “a lot.”

“I have zillion questions of course in my head or things I’d like to say, but the one that really, I really would just like to start and open this conversation with is, ‘You scared me,'” she said.

Entire Podcast with interview and commentary

Brief Wikipedia article on the person Cooper gave the interview to

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2021, 5:33 pm

The simple and likely reality is that she would not have read the situation the same if he had not been black. Her fears were not reasonable. I know all about the "being a woman alone" part, and I get that caution is needed, but I don't believe for one minute that race didn't play a big part.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2021, 5:38 pm

It sounds like she thinks he had three hands. Dog treat, bike helmet, phone to record her, something don't add up unless he can juggle.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

salad
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2021, 5:51 pm

inb4 Cyberdad, Brictoria and TheRobotLives hijack this thread into a 50 page debate where no one wins because debates on WP have the same people arguing the same positions without changing sides

Master Oogway

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2021, 5:52 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
It sounds like she thinks he had three hands. Dog treat, bike helmet, phone to record her, something don't add up unless he can juggle.

Don’t you know that all Black people have hidden multiple arms like Shiva?
It’s to attack and rob wh***y.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2021, 6:07 pm

We have debates about whether to reform or defund the police, yet nothing to deter the Karens.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2021, 6:14 pm

There is an anti-Karen serum.
And Karen’s are mad about it.
https://mobile.twitter.com/eiyawow/stat ... 42?lang=en

I prefer Lysol.It’s cleans and disinfects.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailyd ... ren/%3famp

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2021, 6:30 pm

Misslizard wrote:
There is an anti-Karen serum.
And Karen’s are mad about it.
https://mobile.twitter.com/eiyawow/stat ... 42?lang=en

I prefer Lysol.It’s cleans and disinfects.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailyd ... ren/%3famp

Quote:
“I will spray you like an insect and then stomp your ass in this building,” she tells the anti-masker. “Don’t get it twisted ’cause I’m old. … s**t, I will f**k you up in here. Don’t go there.”

That's the grandmother we all deserve, right there. 8)

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2021, 6:45 pm

/\She is my role model. :D

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2021, 7:16 pm

I listened to the podcast yesterday, and it was interesting (I hadn't had time to put together a post about it)... I hadn't been certain that she was the victim of a previous sexual assault, but her reactions had semed to indicate the possibility - with this being confirmed during the interview. It was also enlightening to be able to listen to her 911 call alongside the video footage of her making the call to help understand the way she was speaking at that time (as well as her explanation regarding the call).

It was also quite interesting to read what Bari Weiss wrote about the interview:

Quote:
To tell this story is to address a different set of problems.

Among them: our collective intoxication with public shaming. Our willingness to dispense with due process when we think we “know” the truth in the absence of evidence. The media’s complicity in perpetuating public judgments, even when the facts directly contradict those judgments. The lack of proportion in the punishments meted out to perceived offenders. The absence of any avenue for redemption or reconciliation when a breach has been made. And the mercilessness shown to those at the center of these storms, often leaving them suicidal and broken. (Thankfully, Christian Cooper tried to rein in some excesses of the public reaction: “I don’t know if her life needed to be torn apart.” And I hope it’s clear that attacking him isn’t part of our purpose here.)

Something else I hadn't considered, which is brought up in the interview:
Quote:
Another question arose as I tried to untangle the facts from the narrative: If the roles of Amy and Christian had been reversed — if she had been a birdwatcher who accosted a dog-walker for running his dog off-leash, if she had confronted him for breaking the park rules, if she had tried to lure his dog away from him with “dog treats I carry for just such intransigence” — wouldn’t she still be the Karen? In other words: was it her behavior or her identity that had done her in?

Source for above: https://bariweiss.substack.com/p/the-real-story-of-the-central-park

To those with an open mind, hearing the "other side" to what occurred may help them understand events (whether or not they change their minds is irrelevent). Unfortunately, many people have formed concrete opinions on what occurred based upon hearing\seeing only a single side, and have no interest in the "other side" of the story. Worse still is that some of these would likely agree with the sentiments included in the messages\calls which Ms Cooper received following the incident (one example of which is included in the recording).

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2021, 7:46 pm

funeralxempire wrote:

Considering his words about the event:
Quote:
For starters, there was the Facebook post that Christian shared when he uploaded the original video, which his sister posted on Twitter in the hours after the encounter. In the post, Christian recorded his contemporaneous account of what happened in the moments before the camera started rolling. “Look, if you’re going to do what you want, I’m going to do what I want, but you’re not going to like it,” Christian recounted himself saying to Amy. He also shared that he’d pulled out “the dog treats I carry for just for [sic] such intransigence.”

source: https://bariweiss.substack.com/p/the-real-story-of-the-central-park

Either he put the helmet on the ground and leaves it there while filming a portion of the interaction, or more likely had either dropped one on the treats on the ground before filming, or simply replaced it in his bag, then used the hand previously holding it to film.

The recording didn't commence when the interaction did, but instead after some time, removing an important section of context which could clarify a lot of what occurred, as well as introducing a degree of bias, considering it is recorded by a participant (rather than a - potentially impartial - bystander), who controls when the recording starts\stops, and focusses on the other participant's actions, while not showing what they were reacting to.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2021, 8:07 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
The simple and likely reality is that she would not have read the situation the same if he had not been black. Her fears were not reasonable. I know all about the "being a woman alone" part, and I get that caution is needed, but I don't believe for one minute that race didn't play a big part.

So, you are saying that any man who wasn't black wouldn't have instilled fear into her by the same threatening stance.
I haven't heard such logical nonsense in quite some time.
Kudos. 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2021, 8:10 pm

salad wrote:
inb4 Cyberdad, Brictoria and TheRobotLives hijack this thread into a 50 page debate where no one wins because debates on WP have the same people arguing the same positions without changing sides

Isn't that an off-topic remark? :scratch:
Those also derail threads.
I should know.
I am a black belt in "off-topic". :ninja: :mrgreen:

funeralxempire wrote:

I'm tempted to reply to your post, but nahhh.

:scratch:
D'oh!! ! :mrgreen:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2021, 8:31 pm

Brictoria wrote:

It was also quite interesting to read what Bari Weiss wrote about the interview:
Quote:
To tell this story is to address a different set of problems.

Among them: our collective intoxication with public shaming. Our willingness to dispense with due process when we think we “know” the truth in the absence of evidence. The media’s complicity in perpetuating public judgments, even when the facts directly contradict those judgments.

I used to be a nincompoop ignoramus irrational person also when I was younger.
These days I realise there are almost always valid considerations on either side of the coin, hence my refraining from instantly and mindlessly adopting a narrative presented.
I profoundly realise that binaries are few and far between. 8)

But then, is waiting for all the facts to come out really all that important when my virtue-signalling needs are chaffing at the bit?
Yes, ladies, gentlemen and the gender diverse, I was using irony. 8)

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2021, 12:48 am

Pepe wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:

So, you are saying that any man who wasn't black wouldn't have instilled fear into her by the same threatening stance.
Kudos. 8)

I'm saying it is less likely. Although ... a big brawny guy covered in tattoos and scowling would probably have scared me. We all instinctively make unfair assumptions. The problem is not in having them. The problem is what we do with them.

Brictoria's comments, however, do soften my assumptions. If the woman was a previous assault victim, that is likely to have played a much larger role than race. Regardless, she handled the situation wrong. She let her assumptions, whatever they were, keep her from listening to and understanding what the man was saying and trying to do.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2021, 3:07 am

DW_a_mom wrote:
Pepe wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:

Kudos. 8)

I'm saying it is less likely. Although ... a big brawny guy covered in tattoos and scowling would probably have scared me. We all instinctively make unfair assumptions. The problem is not in having them. The problem is what we do with them.

Brictoria's comments, however, do soften my assumptions. If the woman was a previous assault victim, that is likely to have played a much larger role than race. Regardless, she handled the situation wrong. She let her assumptions, whatever they were, keep her from listening to and understanding what the man was saying and trying to do.

Firstly, she stuffed up big time.
Made bad choices, but this is common for most people, in general.
We are all humans and skunks after all. 8)

However, :mrgreen:
The man acted unconscionably, intimidating a lone woman with threats such as "You won't like what I am going to do".
And the implied threat to her dog?
My dogs are like my kids and I have been in many situations where the gang-stalkers I have been dealing with, for most of my life, have implicitly threatened their safety.

In the best case, the man was a fool for what he did.
In the worst case, he was deliberately trying to intimidate a lone woman into submission.
Shades of a domestic violence situation, except he was a total stranger, I believe, which heightened her concerns.

From what I can see, the situation is completely, absolutely, a no-brainer and only one of the parties was at fault.

From what I can see, there was fault on both sides, but unfortunately, for the woman, women's safety is not as important as emphasising white racism.

I really don't understand this omnipresent binary mindset, especially in America.
I have to come to the conclusion that "Life is simple for simple people", these days, and that emotionalism Ttrumps critical thinking.
"Interesting". 8)