12 year old autistic - scripting or threat?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2021, 8:11 am

Ga. Boy with Autism, 12, Gets Felony Charges for Threats at School, but Family Says He Was 'Scripting'

Quote:

The family of a 12-year-old boy with autism who faces felony charges for repeating violent phrases from a video game says his actions are a diagnosed symptom of his disorder.

Jadon Ringland faces two felony charges of making terroristic threats after a January incident that occurred in his Hightower Trail Middle School classroom, which is for children with autism and intellectual disabilities and has one special education teacher and one paraprofessional.

According to an incident report filed by his teacher, Jadon began yelling during a science lesson, "I will burn all the teachers. I will burn this school down and all the students in this class. One by one, I will make bottles. It is easy. I will put in a glass bottle gas and a piece of cloth and burn them. I will burn you."

He was then taken to the sensory room for 20 minutes, where he allegedly told the teacher, "I sometimes like to get in trouble at school."

When asked why by the teacher, he responded, "So I get out and go home to play in my computer all day," the report states.

Jadon was initially placed on administrative suspension. It wasn't until February 5 that his family received a phone call from a court official informing them that their son was facing felony charges.

Ringland says her son was not intentionally threatening his classmates but only repeating scenes from his favorite video game, Red Dead Redemption. This behavior is a symptom of autism and is called "scripting," or echolalia.

Jadon and his 15-year-old brother play the game together to bond. In the game, players can make and use a weapon called a "fire bottle," which can be used to attack the enemy.

According to Ringland, her son has a behavior intervention plan that has two primary behaviors.

"Behavior number two is exactly what he did," she says. "There's a protocol of what [his teachers] are supposed to do if that happened and they didn't follow it. Instead they called the officer."

The plan, which was shared with PEOPLE, states that the 12-year-old may cause verbal disruption in class, which includes: "loudly scripting" and "making verbal threats to kill or harm others."

"[His teachers] then have a list of what they should do and then they have an exact script of what they were supposed to say and none of that happened," Ringland says. "When I asked my son if what he said was 'real or pretend,' he said 'pretend, video game

Now, Jadon and his family are awaiting a competency hearing Monday that will determine the future of his case.

Maybe they should take the kid at his word and not give him what he says he wants by sending him home to play on his computer?

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2021, 9:19 am

I don't think he was really threatening anyone, whether he was scripting or not. If he has an actual plan in place to deal with this exact behaviour they should have stuck to it, especially after he said he just wanted to go home and play on the computer. Now he gets to do just that.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2021, 11:07 am

Reminds me of a TV story about a ten year old budding Evangelist. A NT kid who would go around the nieghorhood preaching hellfireandbrimstone to his grade school playmates... from makeshift pulpit in someone's backyard...and admonishing them to give up drinking, gambling, and "fornication". Not even autistic this kid was just mouthing words he didnt know the meaning of to imitate other folks like the one in the original post.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2021, 8:28 pm

I don't think sending the kid home is even a punishment. Only way that would work is if the parents reinforce it at home by not letting him play his computer games whenever he is sent home.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2021, 6:04 pm

He shouldn’t be exposed to such violent video games.