10 year old autistics suicide - racist, ableist school

Page 1 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2021, 8:59 am

10-year-old girl dies by suicide after she was bullied at school over autism, race, her family says

Quote:
A North Salt Lake family is calling for answers as they mourn the death of their 10-year-old daughter, who took her own life over the weekend after experiencing bullying at school.

The girl’s mother, Brittany Tichenor, said her daughter, Isabella Faith Tichenor, was frequently bullied and belittled at school, according to a statement released by the family.

“She was an easy target especially after a teacher joined in mocking this young lady. As any parent would, we reported this abuse to her teachers, the school administration, and the district administration. Nothing. Nothing was done to protect Izzy. Children did not have their behavior corrected so the torment of this child continued day after day,” according to the statement.

Tyler Ayres, an attorney for the family, said “Izzy,” as her family called her, “was bullied for being African American as well as autistic. Brittany reported the bullying multiple times and no action was taken.”

Ayres said the girl’s siblings, who also attend Foxboro Elementary School in North Salt Lake, “have been referred to with the N-word this year. The offending student was not disciplined in any way. We are investigating the school’s lack of response but cannot say more about it at this time.”

The school district is under federal scrutiny after a Department of Justice investigation revealed “serious and widespread racial harassment” in its school by students but also some staff.

Last month, the Department of Justice announced results of the two-year probe during which Black students told investigators that they were routinely called the N-word or other racial epithets by non-Black students, and they were told that their skin was dirty or looked like feces, according to a DOJ news release.

“Many Black students said the harassment was so pervasive and happened so often in front of adults that they concluded school employees condoned the behavior and believed reporting it further would be futile,” the DOJ said.

The DOJ investigation noted Davis District’s “ineffective response” to incidents of racial harassment “for years.”

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2021, 4:48 pm

:evil: :evil:

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2021, 5:14 pm

I’m stunned that type of environment can still exist. To anyone who wants to claim racism isn’t alive and well, look no further. You can’t have a school like that without a community like that. The children, the teachers, are all going to reflect a community.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2021, 5:36 pm

Uggh, at the risk of sounding insensitive, I really don't like trying to pinpoint the cause of a suicide absent something really concrete, like a note specifying the reason, and I'd like to know a little more about the circumstance here before rushing to judgment.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2021, 7:10 pm

Schools need to have strong anti-bullying policies as its almost impossible for teachers to monitor bullies 24-7 and often there's a lack of will to intervene.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2021, 7:16 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Schools need to have strong anti-bullying policies as its almost impossible for teachers to monitor bullies 24-7 and often there's a lack of will to intervene.

My mom (who worked in the field of public education for twenty years before leaving it in 2019)
cannot agree more. She says that parental leniency that she witnessed on a daily basis and "victim-blaming" (meaning the bullied being blamed) were a pair of factors that caused her to completely leave the field.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2021, 8:51 pm

I went to a private school in the late 1970s and early 1980s and the school adminstrators encouraged teachers to pressure students who were "not fitting in" to leave the school. Some teachers used alpha bullies as foot soldiers to deliberately bully children who were socially, sports or academically not performing. Normalisation of bullying behaviour start with parents and is normalised in schools.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2021, 10:47 pm

cyberdad wrote:
I went to a private school in the late 1970s and early 1980s and the school adminstrators encouraged teachers to pressure students who were "not fitting in" to leave the school. Some teachers used alpha bullies as foot soldiers to deliberately bully children who were socially, sports or academically not performing. Normalisation of bullying behaviour start with parents and is normalised in schools.

Very well-said, CD!

My NT sister and I both attended an alternative school for our high school years. Our mom knew for a fact we would not be able to fit in very well had we attended a "normal" public school for this time period in our lives.

Our dad passed just a few days after my sister turned 15 and the day after I turned 12.

I kept it a secret until senior year because I knew for a fact I would never see the majority of my old classmates ever again after graduation. After he had passed, bullies saw it as an opportunity to make the remainder of my MS years a worse nightmare. Even two teachers of my MS decided to join in believing I was making it all up. :evil:

A few months later, I met a classmate who was on the spectrum and we quickly became friends. :)

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2021, 11:59 pm

Dox47 wrote:
Uggh, at the risk of sounding insensitive, I really don't like trying to pinpoint the cause of a suicide absent something really concrete, like a note specifying the reason, and I'd like to know a little more about the circumstance here before rushing to judgment.

Cause or not, school environments should not be as toxic as this one is described to be.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2021, 1:00 am

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
Even two teachers of my MS decided to join in believing I was making it all up. :evil: )

I'll just focus on this as most of the time with school bullying the role of teachers are overlooked. Almost all the teachers, adminstrators and school leaders in private/elite schools and colleges are themselves graduates of a private school. They are often very extroverted and outgoing and were most likely popular kids in the elite schools they graduated from.

This makes it unlikely they will take the side of the bullies victims as they probably related more (or want to relate) to the alpha students who are also likely to be bullies. Unfortunately this perpetuates and normalises bullying culture.

In the older established British boarding schools the senior students practice ragging (bullying) of new students. While it's mean't to be an initiation its encouraged by the school elders (who were themselves ragged). The problem is the ragging often persists and is maintained agains the students who don't "fit-in".

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2021, 3:03 am

Incredibly sad, and infuriating.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/utah-girl-10 ... 00669.html

Last edited by Cornflake on 11 Nov 2021, 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.: This post was merged from a later, duplicate thread

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2021, 7:20 am

She was bullied racially, too.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2021, 7:29 am

I will never like the term “ableist” for someone who scorns disabled folks.

It doesn’t acknowledge that disabled folks are frequently “able” in many ways.

There seems to have been a pattern of racial bullying within that school district.

I’ve been a recipient of bullying where nothing was done, and I was directly or indirectly blamed for it. I never felt suicidal….but I certainly felt despair and hopelessness.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2021, 7:57 am

Dox47 wrote:

Statistically speaking, there's a well-established link between bullying and suicidality. It's not unreasonable to assume it's the cause, even absent a note.

In any case, even if other factors were relevant in her suicide, a school like that could only have a negative impact on her mood and mental health.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2021, 10:52 pm

Dox47 wrote:

Anyone who's ever been bullied or belittled while growing up can verify to you the causation of her suicide.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2021, 10:57 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Anyone who's ever been bullied or belittled while growing up can verify to you the causation of her suicide.

No, you can't. Are you a psychic? Perhaps a medium who can commune with the dead? That's the claim you're making here, and it's not one that you can support. Most people who are bullied do not commit suicide, so there is no direct link, only inference and speculation.