Page 5 of 10 [ 152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2021, 9:38 am

Brictoria wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Nades wrote:

That is a very long article, and I stopped reading half ways down.
But what I did read gave no validity to your assertion.
Perhaps you can cut&paste?

The Oracle of Truth. 8)

Does this help?
Not a huge quantity of women\children in there...

There was an interview on Sky News yesterday, where an Afghani interpreter explained he was on a death list to-do list because he worked for the other side.
It was interesting that the Taliban wasn't targeting his family (wife and 5 kids), just him, which surprised me.
I hope you get my point. 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2021, 9:50 am

Nades wrote:
I'm seeing this over and over again from the pictures at the airport. The vast majority of those trying to flee are men.

With good reason.
They will be executed.

The Afghani interviewed on Sky News mentioned how 5 of his work colleges had already been murdered and they were after him, too.

Nades wrote:
It's no wonder considering their culture places women as the same importance as cattle and these pictures are just proof of it. A plane so overweight with cowards it looks like it'll crash. Hopefully it did.

So, you are saying all Afghani men treat their women like cattle?
"Interesting". 8)

So, you are saying you wanted the heroic aircrew, who risked their lives by overloading the cargo plane by at least 3 times the safety limit, to die also?
"Interesting". 8)

Nades wrote:
There are hundreds of people in that picture and I can only see two women. One absolute bottom left and another bottom right.

Read my previous comments. 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2021, 9:59 am

Brictoria wrote:
Nades wrote:
Brictoria wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Nades wrote:

The Oracle of Truth. 8)

Does this help?

I'm seeing this over and over again from the pictures at the airport. The vast majority of those trying to flee are men.

It's no wonder considering their culture places women as the same importance as cattle and these pictures are just proof of it. A plane so overweight with cowards it looks like it'll crash. Hopefully it did.

There are hundreds of people in that picture and I can only see two women. One absolute bottom left and another bottom right.

It was the same with those entering Europe recently - the boats all seemed to be filled with males, and raely was a female or child shown.

As to the picture, there appears to be a few females:
possibly 4 or 5 in lower left corner, 2 females and 3 children in lower right, a child in bright "yellowish" top in middle (stand out), and at least 1 (red head covering) or 2 in uper left corner - Not sure how much more cargo space there is under\behind the camera, but the representation of children/females to males certainly isn't high.

And I wouldn't be worried about the plane overloaded (although, packed like that turbulence wouldn't be pleasant) - the C-17 can carry around 77 tonnes, and I doubt those on board would have a collective weight of that size.

While I am not saying all refugees are good people, I remember a news report/interview which explained that poor families would scrape together money for people traffickers to take their sons to a western country so they could find a job and send money back home to support them.
The young man specifically talked about suffocated in the back of a truck, btw.

I think people are being a little simplistic/binary. 8)

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2021, 10:01 am

If you were wondering why the Afghanistan army "gave up" so easily, this may partially explain it...
From: https://www.wsj.com/articles/afghanistan-army-collapse-taliban-11628958253

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2021, 10:02 am

VegetableMan wrote:
I don't think the Russia paying the Taliban to kill American soldiers story has much evidence to support it. At least I've never seen any.

I doubt the story is valid.
Putin is a psychopath, but he is an intelligent psychopath. 8)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2021, 10:04 am

The Taliban was founded, originally, to seek to throw the invading Russians out of Afghanistan back in the late 70s.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2021, 10:06 am

1stSauce wrote:
Call me apathetic and tin-hearted but it was such a botched operation from the beginning that this outcome is hardly surprising. If the citizens of Afghanistan wish to live under Taliban rule (as they'd already decided decades ago) and
are happy to go in that direction then they can have it. Its time to move on - too much blood has been spilled trying to wrangle that oversized sandpit the region into a badly drawn version of democracy.

Let the live out their dream of an Islamic panacea and find out firsthand when the Taliban doesn't deliver on their promise.

Most people in the know believed the Taliban would take over eventually.
That isn't the issue.
The problem is the cut and run that left a lot of people to be murdered.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2021, 10:08 am

SandWitch wrote:
:lol: fingers crossed

Paws crossed, in my case. 8)

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2021, 10:12 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
The Taliban was founded, originally, to seek to throw the invading Russians out of Afghanistan back in the late 70s.

While some of the leadership and members may have come from those groups:
Quote:
Mullah Mohammad Omar in September 1994 in his hometown of Kandahar with 50 students founded the group. Omar had since 1992 been studying in the Sang-i-Hisar madrassa in Maiwand (northern Kandahar Province). He was unhappy that Islamic law had not been installed in Afghanistan after the ousting of communist rule, and now with his group pledged to rid Afghanistan of warlords and criminals.

Within months, 15,000 students, often Afghan refugees, from religious schools or madrasas – one source calls them Jamiat Ulema-e-Islam-run madrasas – in Pakistan joined the group.

In an effort to aid the anti-Soviet insurgency, the US government covertly provided schoolbooks promoting militant Islamic teachings and included images of weapons and soldiers in an effort to inculcate in children a hatred of foreign invaders. The Taliban used the American textbooks but scratched out human faces in keeping with strict fundamentalist interpretation. The United States Agency for International Development gave millions of dollars to the University of Nebraska at Omaha in the 1980s to develop and publish the textbooks in local languages

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taliban#History

Pakistan's ISI appear to have had a hand in their formation as well...

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2021, 10:14 am

Pepe wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
I don't think the Russia paying the Taliban to kill American soldiers story has much evidence to support it. At least I've never seen any.

I doubt the story is valid.
Putin is a psychopath, but he is an intelligent psychopath. 8)

The claims came from fighters the US captured, and were likely (according to the article I linked a page or so back) just telling their captors what they thought they wanted to hear...

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2021, 3:45 am

Brictoria wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Nades wrote:

The Oracle of Truth. 8)

Does this help?

Does this help?
It isn't cropped as your pic is. 8)

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2021, 4:12 am

Pepe wrote:
Brictoria wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Nades wrote:

The Oracle of Truth. 8)

Does this help?

Does this help?
It isn't cropped as your pic is. 8)

Still far from 50/50. More like 95/5. Still full of cowards and probably Taliban.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2021, 4:52 am

^^ Maybe they threw their women behind as decoys to distract the attacking Talibans.

/dark_humor

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2021, 4:55 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
^^ Maybe they threw their women behind as decoys to distract the attacking Talibans.

/dark_humor

They probably have dark humour aside.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2021, 5:10 am

Nades wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
The similarities to the 1970s are getting positively eerie.

They are. Pakistan or Iran might as well just annex Afghanistan now and drag them into the 21sr century.

Both Pakistan and Iran have been supporting the Taliban against US troops. Afghanistan is now a puppet state of Pakistan. But Pakistan is also supposed to be an ally of the US?

The big winners in all this are US arms dealers.