In Portland: Get vaccinated or get fired

Page 2 of 6 [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2021, 5:35 pm

Totally off topic, but our office now has a lovely outdoor conference "room" (covered for rain) where we can meet with clients in person, should a client wish to meet in person (most are quite happy with zoom). Adapt or lose.

Aspinator
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2021, 6:10 pm

I'm glad there are places that tell anti-vaccination people you must get vaccinated to work here. It almost appears that vaccinated people are the silent majority. It's playing out in alot of places like the New England Patriots of the NFL cutting Cam Newton today.
They can say whatever they want but the real reason was probably because he refused to get vaccinated. How can a reasonable person think they have the right to infect anyone (especially children who can't get vaccinated yet). Also according to COVID protocol, anyone aound an unvaccinated person who tests positive is required to isolate (I'm not sure how long) plus the NFL will forfeit those games plus since they have went to a 17 game schedule, the game forfeited can not be made up which means no players get paid for a missed game. Anti-vaccination people are not acting like team players; it's as if they are saying "my individual right is more important than all the people I might inadvertently infect"

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2021, 7:25 pm

Aspinator wrote:
How can a reasonable person think they have the right to infect anyone

Here’s my problem: this assumes those who are vaccinated can’t spread the disease, which was part of the initial hope. We know now that despite being vaccinated I can still carry the virus and infect other people. I don’t think we know how my risk of infecting others compares to the risk of someone unvaccinated infecting others. So there is a false assumption underlying some of this discussion.

If everyone had vaccinated we might have a different story. But they didn’t, and the virus stayed in our communities then mutated to where those who are vaccinated can (and do$ also carry it.

The NFL is, as I pointed out early, in a different situation than an office worker. So are hospitals.

My point is we have to be careful and stick with the science, which I’m not convinced all the proposed mandates do. I know it’s hard because the science is a moving target, but leaders lose credibility when they don’t.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2021, 7:56 pm

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
The entire country needs to follow Portland's lead.

I'm native to Portland and IMO, Portland has become a bit of a joke since the beginning of the 2010s especially with the ongoing homeless situation, gun violence, and of course incompetent city leaders who think the first two aren't city problems, just problems that the people of Portland need to take care of ourselves.

I meant specifically with the vax issue.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2021, 9:06 pm

I'm at my friend's tech company right now. He just got a new indoor conference table to host employees & clients.

There are more people working indoors here than all throughout covid, and more that have been working remotely from home who are slowly returning now that almost everyone is double vaccinated. There's one guy who's extremely socially anxious, almost agoraphobic, who only wants to come to the office when he has to. There's another who's looking forward to splitting time between the office and home. There's only one in the office who wants to work remotely - from his property on the East Coast - if/when he can.

Other than that everyone's good with working in the building together because it makes for better working relationships, collaborating, sharing ideas, improving things, teamwork on things that Have To physically be done in the building etc etc. Most of Most peoples jobs at his company can be done remotely, but there's not a lot of magic happening on the office group chat or in zoom meetings - it happens when people are in the building together vibing to massive thoughts of world domination in their industry.

Business as usual Could be done remotely forever, but business ever better & constantly improving ?? that's never ever in a Million years going to come from an email string. Most of the real work happens in the office environment when people are together.

In conclusion, get vaccinated, there's work to do - together.

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2021, 12:57 pm

Submit to the government vaccine or get fired. Sounds very progressive.

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2021, 1:00 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:

Didn't you imply that Texas has gone fascist in another thread?
You seem to be OK with other forms of fascism.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

02 Sep 2021, 1:04 pm

If only the vaccine did away with the possibility of transmission altogether, and meant an end to needing masks and distancing, then I'd be happier. But it seems like they're not at the point yet that the vaccine is a true preventative measure.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2021, 1:31 pm

envirozentinel wrote:
If only the vaccine did away with the possibility of transmission altogether, and meant an end to needing masks and distancing, then I'd be happier. But it seems like they're not at the point yet that the vaccine is a true preventative measure.

Why does the government not encourage health weight, diet, exercise, vitamins, fresh air and sunlight to help persons own immune system combat the virus rather than pushing the vaccine as the only treatment?
This entire thing is not about a virus.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

02 Sep 2021, 1:53 pm

Well in my opinion mental health is equally important - strong mind= strong body, which they haven't exactly been promoting in this pandemic. Fear and a weakened mental state contribute to a weakened immune system.

my blog:

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2021, 1:59 pm

Mr Reynholm wrote:
envirozentinel wrote:

Why does the government not encourage health weight, diet, exercise, vitamins, fresh air and sunlight to help persons own immune system combat the virus rather than pushing the vaccine as the only treatment?

Governments do encourage healthy diets and active lifestyles. Canada has the "Canada food guide," and has even had tax credits for exercise/fitness classes. Doctors, who are government employees, advise their citizen patients on healthy diets, exercise, vitamins, fresh air and sunlight for general health all the time.

This is a viral pandemic of a new virus we have no immunity to. Vaccines are the scientific way out of it - as is evidenced by their effectiveness. Why wouldn't governments push the preventative measure of vaccination instead of waiting for people to get sick and then require last ditch efforts of treatments? The vaccine costs less to accomplish more. No smart government isn't going to protect their populations' health via vaccination if they can get their hands on a supply of covid vaccines.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

02 Sep 2021, 2:05 pm

They are not as effective as the smallpox and polio vaccines. Perhaps at a later stage they can be seen as a true preventative? But the virus keeps mutating and at this rate we won't be free to do what we've always been accustomed to do, for a long while yet.

It seems the vaccines reduce severity of the virus. The only two reasons I've not been personally yet are (a) fear of needles in general, and of discomfort; and (b) having the mild form almost a year ago so built up natural immunity (antibodies)

my blog:

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2021, 2:16 pm

In the U.S., obesity, diabetes, and other major health concerns are at epidemic levels, thanks to junk food and sedentary lifestyles.

If the majority of the population was proactive with their health, I wonder if Covid deaths would be drastically lower than they are.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2021, 2:17 pm

envirozentinel wrote:
They are not as effective as the smallpox and polio vaccines. Perhaps at a later stage they can be seen as a true preventative? But the virus keeps mutating and at this rate we won't be free to do what we've always been accustomed to do, for a long while yet.

It seems the vaccines reduce severity of the virus. The only two reasons I've not been personally yet are (a) fear of needles in general, and of discomfort; and (b) having the mild form almost a year ago so built up natural immunity (antibodies)

Apples to oranges, different viruses, different vaccines.. 95 for smallpox, 99-100 for polio, still over 90 for mRNA covid vaccines - which is pretty damned good! With almost all new severe cases being amongst the unvaccinated and covid now being referred to as the "pandemic of the unvaccinated," I don't really see how we need more proof that they're a preventative.

The virus will mutate more the more it has unvaccinated hosts to spread through. If everyone would just get a couple needles in the arm we could be nearly done with this. Instead, hesitant people are prolonging this pandemic and getting back to normal daily life.

Vaxx studies early on said the covid vaccines provided more/better immunity than natural, which is why the former president trump got vaccinated even though he had covid.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2021, 2:42 pm

Mr Reynholm wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:

Didn't you imply that Texas has gone fascist in another thread?
You seem to be OK with other forms of fascism.

Antifa and Proud Boys in Portland just love causing trouble in order to get media attention.

:evil:

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2021, 2:56 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Mr Reynholm wrote:
envirozentinel wrote:

Governments do encourage healthy diets and active lifestyles. Canada has the "Canada food guide," and has even had tax credits for exercise/fitness classes. Doctors, who are government employees, advise their citizen patients on healthy diets, exercise, vitamins, fresh air and sunlight for general health all the time.

This is a viral pandemic of a new virus we have no immunity to. Vaccines are the scientific way out of it - as is evidenced by their effectiveness. Why wouldn't governments push the preventative measure of vaccination instead of waiting for people to get sick and then require last ditch efforts of treatments? The vaccine costs less to accomplish more. No smart government isn't going to protect their populations' health via vaccination if they can get their hands on a supply of covid vaccines.

The fact that there are people who have the virus but are not sick with it show that we do have some immunity. Coronaviruses have been around forever. This is just the newest version.
What the government wants is control. They do not want You to have control. This "emergency" gives them reason to assume special powers that elude them in ordinary times.