Why Satanists may be the last, best hope to save abortion..

Page 2 of 14 [ 216 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2021, 2:49 pm

Axeman wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Satan probably would feel more at home in Jim Crow texas though, but I imagine he'd still be happy to accept little aborted fetus's (better than nothing)

Not according to Satanists.. as Satanists don't believe Satan exists; nor any higher power. Devil imagery used by Satanists is merely to mock Christians' belief in a higher power. Satanists are perhaps more aptly named "humanists," as they believe we're it - we're responsible for ourselves and our lots in life, not some divine power.

You speak of LaVey type Satanists. They don't represent all Satanists.

No, but they are the largest group and have influenced basically every group that's come up since. Even Satanic faiths that aren't part of so-called 'rational Satanism' have still been influenced by CoS and LaVey.

The Satanic Temple also fits under the description that goldfish gave, so does the First Satanic Church. Even other groups that claim to be further from LaVey's influence end up demonstrating it, like the Temple of Set.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2021, 3:09 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Axeman wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Satan probably would feel more at home in Jim Crow texas though, but I imagine he'd still be happy to accept little aborted fetus's (better than nothing)

Not according to Satanists.. as Satanists don't believe Satan exists; nor any higher power. Devil imagery used by Satanists is merely to mock Christians' belief in a higher power. Satanists are perhaps more aptly named "humanists," as they believe we're it - we're responsible for ourselves and our lots in life, not some divine power.

No, but they are the largest group and have influenced basically every group that's come up since. Even Satanic faiths that aren't part of so-called 'rational Satanism' have still been influenced by CoS and LaVey.

The Satanic Temple also fits under the description that goldfish gave, so does the First Satanic Church. Even other groups that claim to be further from LaVey's influence end up demonstrating it, like the Temple of Set.

Thing is I'm not sure I'd call them proper Satanists. Satan is just a figure head to them. It's like a Church that calls itself the Church of Christ, but doesn't believe Christ was a historical person, doesn't believe the Resurrection was real, etc. The Church of Self Interest and Hedonism is a better description imo.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2021, 3:12 pm

Axeman wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Axeman wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Thing is I'm not sure I'd call them proper Satanists. Satan is just a figure head to them. It's like a Church that calls itself the Church of Christ, but doesn't believe Christ was a historical person, doesn't believe the Resurrection was real, etc. The Church of Self Interest and Hedonism is a better description imo.

I used to fixate on that aspect more but have come to accept that if they're using Satan as a mascot to draw attention to their rejection of toxic Christian norms that calling themselves Satanists helps draw attention to their more active rejection of that stuff compared to other atheists and secular humanists.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2021, 4:09 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Axeman wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Axeman wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

I used to fixate on that aspect more but have come to accept that if they're using Satan as a mascot to draw attention to their rejection of toxic Christian norms that calling themselves Satanists helps draw attention to their more active rejection of that stuff compared to other atheists and secular humanists.

There are Satanists out there who actually do worship Satan as a for real entity. They generally aren't public about their beliefs.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2021, 4:34 pm

QFT wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
QFT wrote:
To me, I just am opposed to hurting living beings that can't defend themselves.

So am I but that isn't actually a very large piece of the whole political abortion debate. It's only the emotional wedge. Pragmatically, we can save a lot more of the unborn with measures that conservatives (with which the political pro-life movement has aligned) oppose. So pragmatic me knows that the law is not at all the most effective nor compassionate way to handle the question. Off topic so I won't dig deeper into all that here, but I have been passionate about the law being the wrong tool to save babies for 40 years, but we have data now that we didn't back then so now I can finally prove it.

I can't speak for others, I can only speak for myself. But yes, I would be totally in favor of any policy that would save embryos, regardless of whether it would be "right wing" or "left wing". Now, can you be more explicit? What policy are you thinking of?

While I’m a bit uncomfortable talking about this in a thread with so much Satan discussion, here goes.

It comes down to the real life reasons women end up having abortions. Without writing a book, lack of comprehensive, affordable healthcare and lack of proper information about conception top the list. So when healthcare and information access are increased, abortion goes down dramatically. When poverty is decreased, abortion goes down dramatically. Address these factors, and you pretty much solve the issue. You not only decrease abortion dramatically, but you also improve the outcomes for pregnant women and babies across the board. We have an embarrassingly high maternal and infant mortality rate for a developed nation; I don’t know why the pro-life political movement doesn’t seem to care about those babies. There will always be some abortions that are more elective, but those women also have the resources to get their abortions somewhere else if need be, so you really can’t affect those outcomes. You also can’t affect the abortions done out of medical necessity unless we get the medical profession to change its terminology; even removal of a dead fetus enters the data as an abortion. The proof the measures work is in the Netherlands, which has a lower abortion rate than most countries where it is illegal.

You should also be aware that I’ve had two different friends who have said they would never have had abortions if it had been legal at the time. They were underage and forced into it by adults. One had no idea that what her boyfriend talked her into was sex.

Societal attitudes towards out of wedlock birth also factor in, as does making it possible for teen mothers to complete their education by providing free childcare.

As Christians all these other measures should be things we support. They are part of caring for our neighbors.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2021, 6:58 pm

QFT wrote:
1) I was scared of Satanists BEFORE I started to follow Christ teaching. After all, this fear is what got me to follow Chrit. Cause happens BEFORE the effect. Which means I didn't follow Christ teaching as of yet. .

Fear of something you don't understand isn't rational

QFT wrote:
2) They set up churches of satan. So no, its not in the privacy of their homes. .

These are like a gathering of comi-con enthusiasts who dress up for the fun of it and do re-enactments of what they adopt form their understanding of satan. They are a joke but mostly harmless.

Satan from the bible is a deity worshipped in prehistoric times in the middle east. Even ancient historians are not in consensus what this deity represents. I doubt a bunch of alternative types draped in togas and tatoos who smoke weed, sacrifice chickens and engage in group sex would be wiser on ancient pre-christian gods unless they have a time machine.

QFT wrote:
3) Even if they aren't hurting me directly, they are praying to the ultimate source of evil. So if you believe at all in the power of prayer, then yes praying to ultimate evil would hurt people. The only problem is that, like I said, I was atheist back when I first heard of them so I didn't believe in the power of prayer. But the concept of praying to ultimate evil was still too much for me to stomach. .

Wait, I thought you are a scientist?? why do you carry such thoughts?

QFT wrote:
4) I heard that satanists do perform some child sacrifices and things like that. I have no idea how true this though. For example back in the middle ages they accused Jews of those things and that was false. So its possible satanists don't do that either. But I am not too sure, haven't researched it. And even if its not true, I would say 2 and 3 is bad enough.

I can't speak for what all cults do behind closed doors but my understanding is most of these people who call themselves "satantists" are into heavy metal music and do this as some lifestyle choice. Banning such groups only glamorises the enticement for young rebellious teens to join (as they think its subversive). There are many traditionalist cultures in your neighbourhood from various east Asian and south American countries who also sacrifice animals in the privacy of their own homes, One of the biggest mass sacrifice of animals takes place on the island of Bali where literally thousands of animals are sacrificed to the spirits yet Bali was (pre-COVID) the most popular tourist destination in the world.

I'm not saying we should be free to engage in this type of behaviour (I'm 100% against animal cruelty) but it seems somewhat hypocritical as we all eat slaughtered animals. As for sacrificing babies, that's criminal and such people should be caught and tried but what evidence is there for this?

Last edited by cyberdad on 05 Sep 2021, 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2021, 7:00 pm

I get the appeal of Satan as a fictional character. He is a sexy cool rebel. But a Church whose basic precepts are look out for number one and enjoy yourself in the present seems a bit weak to me. I agree with both of those and their teaching of love those who love you and curse those who curse you, but I hardly see it as the basis of a Church with goth rituals.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2021, 7:03 pm

Axeman wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Axeman wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Axeman wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

There are Satanists out there who actually do worship Satan as a for real entity. They generally aren't public about their beliefs.

They're not very common, but even if they were, who cares?

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2021, 7:04 pm

Axeman wrote:
goth rituals.

Yes, even those who adopt "goth rituals" just make this stuff up. Most of these kids have no idea of geography or history so I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't even know who the goths were :lol:

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2021, 7:07 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Axeman wrote:
goth rituals.

Yes, even those who adopt "goth rituals" just make this stuff up. Most of these kids have no idea of geography or history so I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't even know who the goths were :lol:

A barbarian tribe in central Europe in the early Christian era when the Roman Empire was still a thing. But that's not quite what I meant.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2021, 7:08 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Axeman wrote:
goth rituals.

I still remember when the heshers and the punks combined forces and made off with all the gothic womens. :nerdy:

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2021, 9:44 pm

Axeman wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Axeman wrote:
goth rituals.

A barbarian tribe in central Europe in the early Christian era when the Roman Empire was still a thing. But that's not quite what I meant.

The level of importance attributed to these "rituals" is in the eye if the beholder.

King0fSpades
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2021, 10:27 pm

There is no Satan and the only true evil in this world is in humankind.

♤ The Military

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2021, 10:54 pm

King0fSpades wrote:

I think Shakespeare said it best
"hell is empty and all the devils are here"

King0fSpades
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2021, 11:03 pm

cyberdad wrote:
King0fSpades wrote:

I think Shakespeare said it best
"hell is empty and all the devils are here"

Somehow that quote reminds me of this dramatic scene from The Tudors. The people laughing like stupid donkeys in such a cruel and hypocritical manner at a disgraced Cardinal Wosley before he commits suicide in his cell is pretty much how I view the entire human race...

♤ The Military