Page 11 of 13 [ 208 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2021, 6:36 am

unfortunately, the singapore [authoritarian brutal] model seems headed to a fascist proto-oligarchy near you and me.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2021, 6:43 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Axeman wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
there are still a few good people in the motor city that need protection from this element. or moved out of there to someplace better.

Chicago isn't all bad. Detroit is.

Which US city has the worst bad areas depends on your criteria. If you mean most violent it's Chicago. If you mean poorest it's New Orleans. If you mean biggest it's Detroit.

Chicago is run by Obama type Democrats and has handgun laws up the ying yang. The Dems there haven't done much about the massive wealth inequality in the city and the gun laws obviously aren't making it safer.

Detroit started falling apart when the auto industry kept insisting the union make concession after concession or they'd leave town. As it turns out, the auto industries began outsourcing, anyhow. With auto workers out of work, small businesses began falling like dominoes, laying hordes of people off. That began in the Reagan years, when industrialists knew a pro business White House would let them get away with it. That's where today's Detroit comes from.

Not to mention the Big 4 (at the time, you also had AMC) having to compete with the likes of Toyota and VW in wake of the energy crisis of the 70s. Yet the Big 4 prioritized the big (and usually ugly) gas guzzlers over more fuel-efficient vehicles.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2021, 6:46 am

Axeman wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

In Singapore this guy would be tied to a frame and wacked with a cane removing skin and flesh from his bare buttocks. I've seen video of it the flesh just splits open on the third hit while the miscreant screams like the damned. It's beautiful.

Whatever happened to that American guy who got caned for spray-painting cars?

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2021, 10:01 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
Axeman wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

In Singapore this guy would be tied to a frame and wacked with a cane removing skin and flesh from his bare buttocks. I've seen video of it the flesh just splits open on the third hit while the miscreant screams like the damned. It's beautiful.

Whatever happened to that American guy who got caned for spray-painting cars?

He only got four out of six wacks because Clinton asked for leaniacy. That's right a sitting President spoke up for some vandal.

When you are in another nation, all of their laws apply to you. What Clinton did was total BS.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2021, 10:28 am

Defending corporal punishment is pretty cringe.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2021, 10:34 am

Clinton remembered what it felt like to be caned by an Arkansas granny and felt sympathy.
Their preference was a keen peach switch to the back of the calves.

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2021, 10:43 am

funeralxempire wrote:

In Singapore you cant legally drive the car until the graffiti is removed. There laws make them one of the safest nations on earth too.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2021, 8:27 pm

i wouldn't live there even if i could. just too brutal.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2021, 11:10 pm

funeralxempire wrote:

I largely agree, but I'm not sure that it's objectively worse than imprisonment, especially as practiced in the US.

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2021, 11:36 pm

Dox47 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

I largely agree, but I'm not sure that it's objectively worse than imprisonment, especially as practiced in the US.

I think that after a good wacking it's unlikely the miscreant will reoffend.

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2021, 11:49 pm

funeralxempire wrote:

Also BS was their government representatives getting death threats from random Americans and one college professor who wanted him rescued by US Special Forces. What was he imagining, Green Berets or Navy Seals gunning down Singapore police officers in order to rescue a miscreant vandal? In my school days I had the misfortune of having to deal with so many like him. I'd pay to hear them shrieking like damned souls.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2021, 11:54 pm

Dox47 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

I can agree that imprisonment is also pretty problematic and gets made worse by things like for-profit prisons. I'm not sure if I can buy the case that one is worse than the other.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2021, 11:56 pm

Axeman wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

Also BS was their government representatives getting death threats from random Americans and one college professor who wanted him rescued by US Special Forces. What was he imagining, Green Berets or Navy Seals gunning down Singapore police officers in order to rescue a miscreant vandal? In my school days I had the misfortune of having to deal with so many like him. I'd pay to hear them shrieking like damned souls.

I don't think using military force would be an appropriate response, but that doesn't mean Singapore isn't an authoritarian nightmare.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2021, 11:58 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

I can agree that imprisonment is also pretty problematic and gets made worse by things like for-profit prisons. I'm not sure if I can buy the case that one is worse than the other.

Your choice seven years or seven wacks which would you prefer?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2021, 12:00 am

Axeman wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

If it's over graffiti both are an absurd over-reaction.
If it's over selling drugs seven wacks but I'll have whoever carried it out shot within a week. 8)

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2021, 12:04 am

funeralxempire wrote:
Axeman wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

If it's over graffiti both are an absurd over-reaction.
If it's over selling drugs seven wacks but I'll have whoever carried it out shot within a week. 8)

And how would you manage that? Are you a mafia boss?