Missouri High School students petition for slavery’s return

Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2021, 12:10 am

Missouri high school students allegedly post petition online calling for the return of slavery

Quote:
Multiple high school students in Missouri allegedly posted a racist petition online calling for bringing back slavery in the United States, according to multiple reports.

School district officials in Missouri’s Park Hill School District declined to confirm the petition's contents and when it was posted. Officials also declined to describe any disciplinary action taken in response to the petition.

Officials confirmed to USA TODAY that a “small group” of students from Park Hill South High School were involved in an incident. The school is located in Riverside, Missouri, near Kansas City.

Herren told USA TODAY that a student first reported the incident to him on Thursday. School employees began an investigation the next day.

“We quickly knew that this was going to have a heavy impact on our community, especially our students and especially our families,” Herren said.

Monday specifically we invited all students to come have lunch with administrators that needed a space to debrief or talk about how they were doing,” he added, noting that school officials also spoke with teachers and staff in response to the incident.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2021, 12:17 am

Hilarious :roll:

I assume this is a prank that will lead to disciplinary action?

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2021, 12:32 am

Looks like somebody did a little trolling.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2021, 12:35 am

Dox47 wrote:
Looks like somebody did a little trolling.

singular or plural?

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2021, 12:47 am

cyberdad wrote:
singular or plural?

Well, it sounds like the petition had some takers, and then some journalist decided this was national news for reasons, so I'd say plural.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2021, 12:53 am

I'm more interested in the source of the petition.

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2021, 7:46 am

The sad thing is that some parts of very rural Missouri would actually support that notion. I have visited there a few times and have never felt so out of place. I was with a group to pick up some old cars that we bought online. The locals were wearing confederate flag stuff openly and very proud of it. Some of them mentioned that they would like to restart the Civil War, as it ended the wrong way. I had to hide the fact that I was from Kansas or it would have ended in a major fight. I am sure that other places around the state of Missouri are better, but definitely not the parts that I visited those times.

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2021, 8:38 am

However poor in taste, it looks like it was just a prank among some high school kids.

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2021, 8:56 am

Just get TWO minimum wage jobs working 60+ hours a week, barely surviving, and it will FEEL like slavery.

Be the hero of your life.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2021, 9:50 am

TheRobotLives wrote:
Just get TWO minimum wage jobs working 60+ hours a week, barely surviving, and it will FEEL like slavery.

I've never had a fast food manager sell me to another restaurant (tearing apart my family in the process) or whip me until I was permanently disfigured for thinking about quitting. You should probably read up a bit about what slavery actually entailed in the US before using it in a tasteless analogy like that.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2021, 10:55 am

funeralxempire wrote:
TheRobotLives wrote:

I've never had a fast food manager sell me to another restaurant (tearing apart my family in the process) or whip me until I was permanently disfigured for thinking about quitting. You should probably read up a bit about what slavery actually entailed in the US before using it in a tasteless analogy like that.

Your response is likely to be called racist.

You describe slavery in way that misses out on the experiences of slaves that were not tortured or sold, as if those slaves were not really slaves.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2021, 11:07 am

TheRobotLives wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
TheRobotLives wrote:

You describe slavery in way that misses out on the experiences of slaves that were not tortured or sold.

Are we really trying to pretend those weren't both typical parts of the experience? It sounds like your goal is to downplay the realities people kept as property were subjected to. Trying to deflect with well what about the people who weren't brutalized misses the point when abuse and brutality were an inherent part of maintaining that system of chattel slavery. Everyone who was treated as property was hurt by that experience to some degree, there's no way to frame that as anything but dehumanizing abuse.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2021, 11:21 am

funeralxempire wrote:
TheRobotLives wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
TheRobotLives wrote:

You describe slavery in way that misses out on the experiences of slaves that were not tortured or sold.

Are we really trying to pretend those weren't both typical parts of the experience? It sounds like your goal is to downplay the realities people kept as property were subjected to. Trying to deflect with well what about the people who weren't brutalized misses the point when abuse and brutality were an inherent part of maintaining that system of chattel slavery. Everyone who was treated as property was hurt by that experience to some degree, there's no way to frame that as anything but dehumanizing abuse.

Anti-slavery websites echo what I am saying ...

"Modern slavery is the severe exploitation of other people for personal or commercial gain. Modern slavery is all around us, but often just out of sight. People can become entrapped making our clothes, serving our food, picking our crops, working in factories, or working in houses as cooks, cleaners or nannies"
https://www.antislavery.org/slavery-tod ... n-slavery/

Nothing about torture, being sold, abuse, brutality.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2021, 11:47 am

You didn't mention people trapped in contemporary slavery, you mentioned working for minimum wage.
Please keep throwing excuses at the wall, I'm sure something will eventually stick.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2021, 12:52 pm

QuantumChemist wrote:
The sad thing is that some parts of very rural Missouri would actually support that notion. I have visited there a few times and have never felt so out of place. I was with a group to pick up some old cars that we bought online. The locals were wearing confederate flag stuff openly and very proud of it. Some of them mentioned that they would like to restart the Civil War, as it ended the wrong way. I had to hide the fact that I was from Kansas or it would have ended in a major fight. I am sure that other places around the state of Missouri are better, but definitely not the parts that I visited those times.

What’s funny about that is their ancestors most likely fought for the Union.Mine were originally from Southern MO and they were Union.One was calvary in MO and another marched with Sherman.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2021, 2:38 pm

While my gut instinct says typical teenage unthinking prank the way things are going I don’t feel sure about that at all.

Yes there are documented instances of slaves being treated what in other circumstances would be considered humanely. Other circumstances is the key, if you are a slave you are being treated opposite of humanely no matter what the other circumstances may be. The owner slave power dynamics lends itself to abuse and makes “humane” treatment unlikely.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman