Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2021, 2:12 am

Quote:
China’s electricity crisis is the result of a damaging power surge. By Chairman Xi Jinping, that is.

The official Communist Party line is that China’s power grid is simply shifting from fossil fuels to renewables.

But the electricity supply problem’s a bit more complicated than that.

First, there’s the matter of supply.

Drought. Extreme heat. Rebounding demand as the Covid-19 pandemic lifts. All are straining electricity production.

Meanwhile, coal reserves are dangerously low. There’s only enough supply for a few days – two weeks at most -of power generation.

And that’s not available because of Chairman Xi’s Great Power games.

When combined with surging demands on production, tightening carbon emissions standards, the instability of renewable energy supplies – politics has tipped China’s grid over the edge.

This week, two-thirds of the country experienced blackouts and rationing.

It’s not a problem China’s strict censorship regime can bury.

And no amount of propaganda will put the lights back on.

The Beijing-based Global Times concedes that “there were some gaps that may have caused the collapse of the (northeast) power grid, which added to the regional power shortage”.

In a rare example of public criticism, it quoted one “netizen” as appealing for an urgent fix to the problem “because temperatures in northeast China are sliding down”.

But the Communist Party-controlled news service maintained an upbeat tone: “We are destined to become a global superpower in terms of power generation, but we cannot always be a superpower with a high proportion of coal-fired power generation among major economies.”

[...]

Industrial impact

Earlier this year, major Chinese power plants in Guangdong province were forced to cut back after unusually hot weather began to affect their equipment – even as demand spiked some 23 per cent. Water shortages also caused hydro-electric plants to limit output in the light of reduced flows.

Since then, the problem has spread, with power cuts and consumption limits imposed in several key industrial zones. Aluminium, steel, cement, wood mill, and fertiliser production have all been affected in Zhejiang, Jiangsu, Yunnan, and Guangdong regions.

Power suppliers have reportedly begun sending notices to heavy users to kerb their use between 7am and 11pm. Some have been asked to alternate shutdowns every two to three days.

Source: https://www.news.com.au/world/asia/xi-jinpings-power-plays-collapse-chinas-electricity-grid/news-story/8dcefd6400a409d656a7ca1d5df118cf

"We count on the space of trust that confidentiality provides. When someone breaches that trust, we are all worse off for it." - Hillary Clinton

"Sometimes I think that this is an era when sanity has become controversial." - Thomas Sowell

Murihiku
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2021, 7:00 am

It might help if they started buying Australian coal again, at least in the short term. Can't see it happening though.

Long-term, I'm sure they'll figure something out.

There's the rub, the task.

– Virgil, The Aeneid (Book VI)

LiverpoolAspergian
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Oct 2021, 4:01 am

Why don't they fire up the coal plants.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2021, 4:12 am

Murihiku wrote:
It might help if they started buying Australian coal again, at least in the short term. Can't see it happening though.

I've seen suggestions that some quantity of coal is being exported from Australia to Vietnam, where it is loaded onto ships destined for China, but not sure how accurate this is.

"We count on the space of trust that confidentiality provides. When someone breaches that trust, we are all worse off for it." - Hillary Clinton

"Sometimes I think that this is an era when sanity has become controversial." - Thomas Sowell

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2021, 4:13 am

Murihiku wrote:

The Chinese have "cut off their nose to spite their face".
It is more than a little amusing.

Coal prices have spiked over 300% recently, giving a financial bonus to our coal exports. :mrgreen:

Xi seems to make a hell of a lot of bad decisions.

And one more thing,

Also, as George Carlin said, "I have no stake in the outcome." I'll stick around for the comedy.

"A stranger is a friend gang-stalker you haven't met yet."
Truth may be inconvenient but it is never politically incorrect...The Oracle of Truth has spoken...8)
Read my lips:-I am not a fan of the orange man.-I would never vote for the Republican party given the chance.-I am interested in being objective and rational.

Murihiku
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2021, 12:40 am

I had to chuckle at this one ...

Quote:
China turns to stranded Australian coal amid power crisis

China is freeing Australian coal from bonded storage, despite an almost year-long unofficial import ban on the fuel, as power shortages deepen.

An estimated one million tonnes of Australian coal have been held in bonded warehouses along China's coast for months, uncleared by customs after Beijing's unofficial ban last October, Reuters reports.

But energy traders say China's growing power shortages have forced a U-turn.

https://www.9news.com.au/world/china-re ... 3b7c81f8c8

This amount is only a drop in the bucket, but perhaps it might lead to more?

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2021, 4:00 am

Murihiku wrote:
I had to chuckle at this one ...

Quote:
China turns to stranded Australian coal amid power crisis

China is freeing Australian coal from bonded storage, despite an almost year-long unofficial import ban on the fuel, as power shortages deepen.

An estimated one million tonnes of Australian coal have been held in bonded warehouses along China's coast for months, uncleared by customs after Beijing's unofficial ban last October, Reuters reports.

But energy traders say China's growing power shortages have forced a U-turn.

https://www.9news.com.au/world/china-re ... 3b7c81f8c8

This amount is only a drop in the bucket, but perhaps it might lead to more?

You may have missed this bit: "Some of the Australian coal stuck at Chinese ports started to be released at the end of last month... though many of those (cargoes) had already been diverted to markets like India," one trader from eastern China said."

Australian companies are diversifying into other markets.

As I said, China is cutting off its nose to spite his face. 8)
Xi seems to be a hopeless economist. :mrgreen:

And one more thing,

Also, as George Carlin said, "I have no stake in the outcome." I'll stick around for the comedy.

"A stranger is a friend gang-stalker you haven't met yet."
Truth may be inconvenient but it is never politically incorrect...The Oracle of Truth has spoken...8)
Read my lips:-I am not a fan of the orange man.-I would never vote for the Republican party given the chance.-I am interested in being objective and rational.

Murihiku
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2021, 3:47 pm

^ Yeah, I read that part too. Even the original amount of 1 million tonnes is only a fraction of what's needed, let alone the amount that's currently left in China. That led me to wonder if they'd want to order more Australian coal. If not, it seems like electricity demand is skyrocketing around the world heading into the Northern Hemisphere winter, which seems promising for Australian exporters.

LiverpoolAspergian

07 Oct 2021, 4:19 pm

My concern is that China has no choice but to use coal. They have a population to sustain and electricity underpins their society. Therefore the absence of electricity would be calamitous for the People's Republic of China as a whole. For the Chinese Communist Party to maintain power and hegemony they need the logistics to do so, this energy crisis threatens their status on the world stage and calls in to question their seemingly unbridled omnipotence.