Oh god, Orange man creates his own social media....

Page 2 of 15 [ 232 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2021, 10:03 am

This is going to be typical Trump:

There will be name-calling. There will be made-up names for people who remotely criticize him. He will offer his "alternate reality."

In essence, he will be an apologist for himself.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2021, 10:15 am

magz wrote:
maycontainthunder wrote:
https://uk.yahoo.com/news/trump-announces-plans-launch-social-005659207.html

Laughably it's called Truth. Most misleading name in history!

The main newspaper of the Soviet Union was called Pravda ("Truth").

In the Soviet Union there was no truth in Pravda, and these days you can be certain there won't be any truth posted on Truth.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2021, 10:16 am

Cornflake wrote:
Brictoria wrote:
It seems he has 2 types of fans - those that love him (and so create positive threads regarding him\his actions), and those who fit into the "hater-fan" or a form of "Celebrity worship syndrome" (expressing this "worship" in negative terms), who appear to have this intense need to ensure that everyone remembers him, and who therefore allow him to "live rent-free in their heads" (and so create negative threads regarding him\his actions whenever the opportunity presents to do so).

For everyone else, they have no need to look for news (positive or negative) either in general, or in order to create threads around him\his actions, instead they simply allow him to fade into the background of their lives, only mentioning (or thnking about) him in responce to prompting from a member of either of those fan categories...
So... which of those types above are you? :P

I mean, it looks a bit tippy-toe eggshells - after mentioning those who love him and <ahem> impartially disparaging those who don't, you open up an escape clause just wide enough to permit you to continue posting about him. He's clearly of sufficient interest for you to respond here, on a thread about nothing but Trump - or are you helplessly responding to a trigger which impels you to post to threads about him?

I'm in the "everyone else" category: "only mentioning (or thnking about) him in responce to prompting from a member of either of those fan categories" - I feel no need\desire\urge to look for the latest news (good or bad) to post about on this (or any other) site, after all, but am happy to contribute to threads where the subject is an area I have some knowledge (or am interested in learning more about). In this case it was the interest in the new "social media" platform, as I had heard rumours about something like this being underway some time ago, and was curious what had occurred in that regard.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2021, 10:19 am

He will shamelessly beg for money.
It does give the authorities a chance to find potential future insurrectionists.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2021, 10:24 am

Donald Trump wrote:
The final key to the way I promote is bravado.  I play to people's fantasies.  People may not always think big themselves, but they can still get very excited by those who do.  That's why a little hyperbole never hurts.  People want to believe that something is the biggest and the greatest and the most spectacular.  I call it truthful hyperbole.  It's an innocent form of exaggeration -- and a very effective form of promotion.
-- "The Art of The Deal", pp26-17

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2021, 10:28 am

Cornflake wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Cornflake wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Did he not attempt this once before?
He did, but that was more of a one-sided blog where he posted things.  It was taken down through lack of hits.
I doubt the results of this attempt will be much different.
It will be interesting to see how it behaves and which way it will go. But if it's anything like his blog and what he posts to his pseudo-president web page it will be a mixture of whines about the election and begging for money.
Sad.

Given there is no requirement to see posts from Mr Zuckerberg on Facebook, or from Mr Dorsey on Twitter, it would be interesting to see if Mr trump follows the same example - if so, the site may be reasonable: it will simply be a platform where you can choose to see\not see whichever users you choose...and those who dislike Mr Trump can, theoretically, use it simply to add a "cost", however small, to Mr Trump for the services which they use (storage\bandwidth\other server related expences.

If, however, viewing his posts (or fundraising requests) is "mandatory", then it will certainly limit the number of people willing to use it (although there would still be the potential for 70+ million users).

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2021, 10:43 am

Social media users have flagged certain aspects of the terms and conditions, including one point saying users must agree not to "disparage" the site.  Under ""Prohibited Activities" in the Terms of Service (last updated on September 20, 2021):

Donald Trump wrote:
"23. disparage, tarnish, or otherwise harm, in our opinion, us and/or the Site"
...also...
Quote:
"You may not access or use the Site for any purpose other than that for which we make the Site available.  The Site may not be used in connection with any commercial endeavors except those that are specifically endorsed or approved by us."
So much for a social media platform that claims to encourage an open, free, and honest global conversation.

:roll:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2021, 10:47 am

That's not surprising. There's no frank honesty on Frank either. It's funny how these self-proclaimed supporters of free speech don't actually want free speech, they just want to still be able to dictate the rules of what's acceptable speech.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2021, 10:54 am

They (Trump and his allies) do not want free speech for everybody; but only the freedom to say what they want about everyone else without fear of contradiction or consequences.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2021, 11:05 am

Is this real? 8O

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2021, 11:07 am

/\Please let it be so.If not let’s hope it happens.

demeus
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2021, 11:08 am

Anything that has to use the word "Truth" in its name is probably posting what its owner thinks is truth. Just like any country with the word "Democratic" in its official name probably is not Democratic.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2021, 11:10 am

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.indepe ... html%3famp

https://mahacot.com/truthsocialsignup-com/

Last edited by Misslizard on 21 Oct 2021, 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2021, 11:11 am

funeralxempire wrote:

Is this real?
There is nothing on FactCheck, PolitiFact, or Snopes that says it is not.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

21 Oct 2021, 11:20 am

I don't know if it's true but if it is, then he just encountered the main technical problem with "free speech" (no moderation) in social media, lol.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2021, 11:40 am

The links I posted will tell.