Astronomers May Have Discovered The First Known Exoplanet

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2021, 6:56 pm

https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/astronomers-may-have-spotted-the-first-known-exoplanet-in-another-galaxy/

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2021, 7:10 pm

You didnt finish the headline.

An "exoplanet" is any planet in a solar system other than our own. They have been discovering exoplanets since the mid 90s. They now know almost 5000 of them. What makes this a first is that it is the first exoplanet discovered in another galaxy.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2021, 7:17 pm

In a galaxy far far away.....could it be? Tattooine?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2021, 7:21 pm

cyberdad wrote:

If Tattooine has life then probably not. This planet got blasted by a supernova, and is now bathed in XRays.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2021, 7:53 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

If Tattooine has life then probably not. This planet got blasted by a supernova, and is now bathed in XRays.

Damn, sounds like Star Wars got cancelled. 8)

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2021, 8:01 pm

But if you were there you would have a great view of a star being eaten alive by a black hole (or a neutron star).

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2021, 8:01 pm

But if you were there you would have a great view of a star being slowly eaten alive by a black hole (or a neutron star).

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2021, 8:10 pm

I like space. That's why i keep so much of it between myself and others.

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2021, 8:49 pm

Space...the final frontier, these are the voyages of the starship WP and it's merry crew

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2021, 8:56 pm

Captains log, stardate, We seem to be encountering a strange and wondrous site, such unusual and bizarre lifeforms, i think i may have landed on the wrong planet.

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2021, 3:16 am

Its hard to grasp how mind blowing this is.

Imaging turning a telescope onto a street lamp down the street, in the day time (when the lamp doesnt emit light, but you can see it because the sun is out). Thats seeing another planet in our own solar system.

Imagine you're in Washington DC at night and you're turning a telescope onto a night street lamp in Chicago, a 1000 miles away, not to see the street lamp itself, but to see the bugs flying around the street lamp.

The lamp gives off light like the sun and other stars, but the bugs (like planets, people, and things on earth)dont emit light and can only be seen by the light they reflect that comes off the street lamp).

Thats the equivalent of trying to detect exoplanets orbiting even the nearest stars within our own galaxy. Thats why it took until the mid 1990s before astronomers actually detected the first exoplanets.

Now...imagine that the streetlamp is not in Chicago, but on the surface of Pluto. And your trying to detect bugs flying around it. Thats what trying to detect an exoplanet in another galaxy is like.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2021, 5:39 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Space...the final frontier, these are the voyages of the starship WP and it's merry crew

:lmao: