Page 1 of 7 [ 107 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2021, 11:16 pm

https://www.vice.com/en/article/3abzaj/ ... -gop-event

Quote:
Lincoln Project Posed as Charlottesville White Supremacists at GOP Event

The Lincoln Project acknowledged they were behind the stunt after VICE News identified one of the people in the photo as a Democratic operative.

Five people dressed like the white supremacists who caused the violent “Unite the Right” riots in Charlottesville four years ago showed up outside of Virginia Republican gubernatorial nominee Glenn Youngkin’s event in the town on Friday.

But instead of actual “Unite the Right” supporters, it turns out that it was a half-baked stunt from the Lincoln Project, a group of Republicans who oppose President Trump—and Youngkin.

The tiki torch-wielding stunt occurred just days before Youngkin’s hotly contested election against Democratic former Virginia Gov. Terry McAuliffe—and the same week the trial began for the white supremacists who have been charged with conspiring to ignite the riot.

The Lincoln Project acknowledged they were behind the stunt after VICE News identified one of the people dressed in the photo in front of Youngkin’s campaign bus as a low-level Democratic operative who has recently been working for Democratic sting operator Lauren Windsor’s The Undercurrent. Her group has repeatedly gone undercover as conservative activists to goad politicians into saying what’s really on their mind—and has also held events alongside the Lincoln Project in recent days.

Damn, this is straight out of the Nixon playbook, I'm honestly surprised someone would try it in this day and age when it's so easy to identify people from videos, it just looks amateurish and desperate, and is likely to hurt McAuliffe in a race that's already tight, as his campaign had already jumped on this stunt before having to disavow it in the wake of Vice unmasking who it actually was.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2021, 8:16 pm

Sounds like something that a$$hole who set up and ruined ACORN with his selectively edited video would pull.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2021, 8:58 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Sounds like something that a$$hole who set up and ruined ACORN with his selectively edited video would pull.

Funny you should mention him, the group that did this explicitly calls themselves a liberal version of Project Veritas. So now the question is, are you going to condemn the tactic when your side does it, or only when conservatives do? This is the same group that has tricked a number of Republicans into saying things they thought were off the record and then published them, so I expect your denunciation shortly.

Aspinator
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2021, 9:14 pm

I live in Virginia and I feel both candidates would stop at nothing to get elected. McAuliffe has repeatedly linked Youngkin as a Trump loyalist. I feel McAuliffe will win the large urban areas and Youngkin will win the rural areas with the nod going to McAuliffe. Even Barack Obama was campaigning for McAuliffe.

P.S I will be so glad when the election is over on Tuesday. The political ads have been so mud-slinging by both sides. I was surprised by the attention the VA guberitorial has garnered across the US but I guess that is to be expected because it is really a referendum on the "Trump" agenda.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2021, 9:23 pm

Dox47 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Funny you should mention him, the group that did this explicitly calls themselves a liberal version of Project Veritas. So now the question is, are you going to condemn the tactic when your side does it, or only when conservatives do? This is the same group that has tricked a number of Republicans into saying things they thought were off the record and then published them, so I expect your denunciation shortly.

If that's the case that this group plays dirty like Project Veritas, then they're just as beneath contempt.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2021, 10:10 pm

Aspinator wrote:
I live in Virginia and I feel both candidates would stop at nothing to get elected. McAuliffe has repeatedly linked Youngkin as a Trump loyalist. I feel McAuliffe will win the large urban areas and Youngkin will win the rural areas with the nod going to McAuliffe. Even Barack Obama was campaigning for McAuliffe.

The polling says it's going to be close, and that's why it's getting so much attention, it wasn't supposed to be close, it was supposed to be a blowout for McAuliffe, which is why you're seeing the panic and both the sitting president and a former one campaigning in the state. The momentum is with Youngkin, and I can't imagine this stunt is going to help McAullife in the home stretch, along with the drama with the schools, that Loudoun County thing is getting national coverage and just looks awful.

Aspinator wrote:
P.S I will be so glad when the election is over on Tuesday. The political ads have been so mud-slinging by both sides. I was surprised by the attention the VA guberitorial has garnered across the US but I guess that is to be expected because it is really a referendum on the "Trump" agenda.

Yeah, what it's really seen as is a bellwether for the midterms next year, with bad news for the Democrats if Youngkin pulls it off, or even loses in a squeaker. It's also seen as a potential strategy for post Trump Republicans, how to both keep the Trump base and not lose support from the suburban voters turned off by him, we'll have to see if it works out.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2021, 3:59 pm

Lincoln Project says it sent people with tiki torches to Youngkin event

Quote:
The Lincoln Project said it sent people with tiki torches to a campaign event held by Virginia GOP gubernatorial candidate Glenn Youngkin on Friday, sparking backlash against the activist group.

The anti-Trump group issued a statement saying it pulled the stunt in Charlottesville because Youngkin has not condemned the 2017 “Unite the Right” white nationalist rally.

“Today’s demonstration was our way of reminding Virginians what happened in Charlottesville four years ago, the Republican Party’s embrace of those values, and Glenn Youngkin’s failure to condemn it,” the statement said.

If he will denounce Trump’s assertion that the Charlottesville rioters possessed ‘very fine’ qualities, we’ll withdraw the tiki torches,” the group continued. “Until then, we’ll be back.”

McAuliffe’s campaign condemned the stunt.

Vice News has identified one of the people involved as Lauren Windsor, a liberal activist known for going undercover to get politicians to share their unfiltered thoughts.

Windsor confirmed on Twitter that she worked with the Lincoln Project to coordinate the stunt “in my capacity as a communications consultant“.

Connor Rogers, who previously worked as the Lincoln Project’s digital director, said that Heather Heyer, the counter-protester who died in Charlottesville, is "not a prop or a stunt."

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2021, 4:05 am

Dox47 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Funny you should mention him, the group that did this explicitly calls themselves a liberal version of Project Veritas.

So now the question is, are you going to condemn the tactic when your side does it, or only when conservatives do? This is the same group that has tricked a number of Republicans into saying things they thought were off the record and then published them, so I expect your denunciation shortly.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2021, 4:48 am

Pepe wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Funny you should mention him, the group that did this explicitly calls themselves a liberal version of Project Veritas.

So now the question is, are you going to condemn the tactic when your side does it, or only when conservatives do? This is the same group that has tricked a number of Republicans into saying things they thought were off the record and then published them, so I expect your denunciation shortly.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

It is rather unlikely, isn't it...

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2021, 5:04 am

The Lincoln Project didn’t invent new tactics when it decided to work against Trump. It wanted to put tactics and tone they knew worked for conservatives into the battle. I have a mixture of amusement, annoyance and disappointment with their material. I consider it enlightening as to what good old conservatives consider acceptable and effective election tactics. Makes one wonder what we’d learn if some Democrats sliced themselves off and created a similar project to defeat a segment of the Democratic Party.

Meanwhile, as I’ve been saying for years, even video isn’t always what it seems, people aren’t always who they say they are. Wait before concluding.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2021, 8:27 am

Dox47 wrote:
https://www.vice.com/en/article/3abzaj/lincoln-project-posed-as-charlottesville-white-supremacists-at-youngkin-gop-event

Quote:
Lincoln Project Posed as Charlottesville White Supremacists at GOP Event

The Lincoln Project acknowledged they were behind the stunt after VICE News identified one of the people in the photo as a Democratic operative.

Five people dressed like the white supremacists who caused the violent “Unite the Right” riots in Charlottesville four years ago showed up outside of Virginia Republican gubernatorial nominee Glenn Youngkin’s event in the town on Friday.

But instead of actual “Unite the Right” supporters, it turns out that it was a half-baked stunt from the Lincoln Project, a group of Republicans who oppose President Trump—and Youngkin.

The tiki torch-wielding stunt occurred just days before Youngkin’s hotly contested election against Democratic former Virginia Gov. Terry McAuliffe—and the same week the trial began for the white supremacists who have been charged with conspiring to ignite the riot.

The Lincoln Project acknowledged they were behind the stunt after VICE News identified one of the people dressed in the photo in front of Youngkin’s campaign bus as a low-level Democratic operative who has recently been working for Democratic sting operator Lauren Windsor’s The Undercurrent. Her group has repeatedly gone undercover as conservative activists to goad politicians into saying what’s really on their mind—and has also held events alongside the Lincoln Project in recent days.

Damn, this is straight out of the Nixon playbook, I'm honestly surprised someone would try it in this day and age when it's so easy to identify people from videos, it just looks amateurish and desperate, and is likely to hurt McAuliffe in a race that's already tight, as his campaign had already jumped on this stunt before having to disavow it in the wake of Vice unmasking who it actually was.

Not a surprise they would revive the Donald Segretti playbook, if not literally attitude wise they come from that political world. Their whole reason for being is the belief was that you had to fight fire with fire and the Democrats are not up to that task.

Unlike the Lincoln Project The Nixon campaign would never admit to never mind brag about their political dirty tricks.

If the Lincoln Project wants to show alleged Youngkin non denunciation of the ‘Unite the Right’ riot they have the money to bombard the airwaves with ads pointing this out. Now it is all about them not Youngkin’s alleged enabling of white supremacists.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2021, 9:23 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
The Lincoln Project didn’t invent new tactics when it decided to work against Trump. It wanted to put tactics and tone they knew worked for conservatives into the battle.

Not really, if you look at who they are, who's been funding them, and what they've put out, they're really a con job out to fleece well heeled Democrats who don't know what actually works on conservative voters, they make adds that play to Twitter blue checks that wouldn't past muster in red America in order to pocket big checks, it's a grift.

What a lot of people miss about the old Nixon era dirty tricksters was that they largely came from the college Young Republican type clubs, and many of their tricks had the definite feel of fraternity pranks about them, Roger Stone posing as a gay man to ostentatiously donate to a Democratic opponent, or Karl Rove posing as the advance man for a rival campaign and charging up huge amounts on food and housing for a non-existent political rally, just bill the campaign, they're good for it, etc. Rove's mentor, Lee Atwater, later made him apologize for that stunt and pay back the money before taking him on as an apprentice, as even then respectable folks didn't do that, and Rove and Atwater came up with more subtle and effective tactics anyway. The tricks worked for Nixon because his goal was to turn the various 1972 Democratic campaigns against each other during the primary during a time when the sitting president wasn't expected to be participating in the race, and so no one realized the sabotage was coming from the president, they all thought the other campaigns were doing it to each other, where as this Virginia incident is a true false flag effort, which you really don't see too often anymore.

Like I said in my OP, I just think this was monumentally foolish in the era of widespread facial recognition and crowdsourced ID, getting caught was virtually inevitable.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2021, 11:00 pm

Dox47 wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
The Lincoln Project didn’t invent new tactics when it decided to work against Trump. It wanted to put tactics and tone they knew worked for conservatives into the battle.

Not really, if you look at who they are, who's been funding them, and what they've put out, they're really a con job out to fleece well heeled Democrats who don't know what actually works on conservative voters, they make adds that play to Twitter blue checks that wouldn't past muster in red America in order to pocket big checks, it's a grift.

What a lot of people miss about the old Nixon era dirty tricksters was that they largely came from the college Young Republican type clubs, and many of their tricks had the definite feel of fraternity pranks about them, Roger Stone posing as a gay man to ostentatiously donate to a Democratic opponent, or Karl Rove posing as the advance man for a rival campaign and charging up huge amounts on food and housing for a non-existent political rally, just bill the campaign, they're good for it, etc. Rove's mentor, Lee Atwater, later made him apologize for that stunt and pay back the money before taking him on as an apprentice, as even then respectable folks didn't do that, and Rove and Atwater came up with more subtle and effective tactics anyway. The tricks worked for Nixon because his goal was to turn the various 1972 Democratic campaigns against each other during the primary during a time when the sitting president wasn't expected to be participating in the race, and so no one realized the sabotage was coming from the president, they all thought the other campaigns were doing it to each other, where as this Virginia incident is a true false flag effort, which you really don't see too often anymore.

Like I said in my OP, I just think this was monumentally foolish in the era of widespread facial recognition and crowdsourced ID, getting caught was virtually inevitable.

The goal was to destroy the candidacy of the front runner Edmond Muskie whom they feared and have the “radical” candidate George McGovern whom they preferred win the nomination. In addition to selling tickets to fake rallies in the closest thing to what the
Lincoln Project was trying to do had fake Muskie supporters look as hippie as can be. The most famous dirty trick was the forged “Canuck Letter” mailed to and published by the Republican friendly Manchester Union Leader two weeks before the New Hampshire primary in which Muskie “used” the term “Canuck” considered a slur against French-Canadian Americans a sizable voting block in New Hampshire. When Muskie gave a speech in front of the Union-Leader denouncing the letter as fake as well attacking the newspaper for an editorial criticizing his wife he was reported to have cried. In 1972 attitudes about becoming emotional in public were 180 degree opposite of today’s selfie let it all hang out world. Back then for men especially a potential President this was a big no-no. When things got tough and tense with the Soviets people did not want their President crying.

Muskie did not win the primary as much as was expected, McGovern won the nomination and was obliterated in the General Election.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2021, 12:09 am

But Dox, did you ever criticize Veritas and their little conniving weasel of a leader, like you're going after the Lincoln project now?

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2021, 1:22 am

Dox47 wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:

That angle on the Lincoln Project is actually news to me. I'll remember that and look with a more critical eye.

If its a grift, that leaves me to wonder: monumentally foolish or a false flag on a false flag?

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2021, 8:13 pm

It would be interesting to know to whether this had any impact on "undecided"\unaligned voters - whether it convinced them to vote for a particular side (and which one), or whether it caused them to decline to vote at all.