Michael Flynn states the USA needs one religion

Page 2 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 23 Nov 2006
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 65,612
Location: Portland, Oregon

16 Nov 2021, 11:26 pm

My mom, my NT sister, and I are practicing Catholics, but if such a situation ever happens, we would pack up as quickly as possible and find a safe haven overseas.

However, if such a situation ever happens, it would obviously be a totalitarian state run by Communist-wannabes, but if this happens, the three of us would fight back against such a possible system.

:evil:


_________________
Silly NTs, I have Aspergers, and having Aspergers is gr-r-reat!


Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Apr 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 46,374
Location: Spokane area, Washington state.

16 Nov 2021, 11:26 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Of course Flynn is referring to establishing Christianity as the sole American religion. Well, as there's far more than just one kind of Christian theology, it can be a sure bet that he means evangelical type churches, which would leave the rest of us non-evangelicals hung out to dry.


I'm definitely toast then.


Both of us, my fellow Lutheran!


_________________
-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer


AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 23 Nov 2006
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 65,612
Location: Portland, Oregon

16 Nov 2021, 11:29 pm

UncannyDanny wrote:
If THIS happens, then there really won't be a freedom of religion in the US.


IMO, not only this, but also all freedoms that are part of the US Constitution.


_________________
Silly NTs, I have Aspergers, and having Aspergers is gr-r-reat!


UncannyDanny
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 6 Nov 2014
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,445
Location: Middle-Earth

17 Nov 2021, 7:23 am

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
UncannyDanny wrote:
If THIS happens, then there really won't be a freedom of religion in the US.


IMO, not only this, but also all freedoms that are part of the US Constitution.

Namely, the First Amendment will then be torn to shreds?

Then what, the second Civil War?



UncannyDanny
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 6 Nov 2014
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,445
Location: Middle-Earth

17 Nov 2021, 11:58 am

cyberdad wrote:
UncannyDanny wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
There is no emotion, there is peace.
There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.
There is no passion, there is serenity.
There is no chaos, there is harmony.
There is no death, there is the Force

Correction:

The peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
And through victory, all my chains are broken. :twisted:


Aha! so you are the Sith Lord of WP!

....Or I could actually be a 'Grey Jedi'. :wink:

I just recited the Sith code just for fun.



Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Age: 65
Gender: Male
Posts: 57,019
Location: Stendec

17 Nov 2021, 12:48 pm

Evangelicals have a long history in America, and include a number of different groups, including Baptists, Pentecostals, Methodists, and nondenominational churches.  After the schism among the Baptists, Methodists, and Presbyterians in the 1850s over slavery, conservative denominations like the Southern Baptists -- who defended slavery through their twisted interpretations of Biblical Scripture -- came into being.

Evangelical denominations formed from these splits in the South were comprised of people who had made money from slavery or supported it.  After the Civil War they were more likely to have supported the Ku Klux Klan and approved of (or participated in) lynchings.  The burning cross of the KKK, for instance, was a symbol of white Christian supremacy, designed both to put fear into the hearts of African Americans and to highlight the supposed Christian righteousness of the terrorist act.

Evangelical churches teach the belief that men should control women.  Their sermons focus on a wife submitting to her husband's authority in everything, from finances, to where and when she works, to how often they should have sex, to how many children she should have, and to how she should vote (if she is is allowed to vote at all).  The husband is to be respected as absolute head of the family, because this is allegedly "God's plan".  This is also why evangelical churches are breeding grounds for domestic violence.

The First Amendment to our Constitution clearly states "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion".

Michael Flynn, an "Evangelical Christian", is simply repeating what some in the GOP have long championed: The idea that "freedom of religion" means imposing their "religious" beliefs upon the rest of us.



UncannyDanny
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 6 Nov 2014
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,445
Location: Middle-Earth

17 Nov 2021, 3:20 pm

^So basically, those people are actually cloaking their hatred and control for authority underneath a veil of 'righteousness' all this time?



Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Age: 65
Gender: Male
Posts: 57,019
Location: Stendec

17 Nov 2021, 3:24 pm

UncannyDanny wrote:
^So basically, those people are actually cloaking their hatred and control for authority underneath a veil of 'righteousness' all this time?
BINGO!  Sadly, they are also deluding themselves into sincerely believing that the only "True Christians" are racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, wealthy, white males who may or may not have heard of someone named "Jesus".



Last edited by Fnord on 17 Nov 2021, 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MuddRM
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

Joined: 2 Sep 2021
Gender: Male
Posts: 198
Location: Beautiful(?) West Manchester Township, PA

17 Nov 2021, 3:50 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Of course Flynn is referring to establishing Christianity as the sole American religion. Well, as there's far more than just one kind of Christian theology, it can be a sure bet that he means evangelical type churches, which would leave the rest of us non-evangelicals hung out to dry.


If you define evangelical by it original Greek meaning (“good news”), rather than what it means nowadays (“fundamentalist”). Flynn, in my book is neither, except in the service of the talented grifter, Donald J. Trump, Sr.



cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 55
Gender: Male
Posts: 29,976

17 Nov 2021, 4:01 pm

UncannyDanny wrote:
....Or I could actually be a 'Grey Jedi'. :wink:

I just recited the Sith code just for fun.


The Greys don't follow a code do they?



cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 55
Gender: Male
Posts: 29,976

17 Nov 2021, 4:02 pm

MuddRM wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Of course Flynn is referring to establishing Christianity as the sole American religion. Well, as there's far more than just one kind of Christian theology, it can be a sure bet that he means evangelical type churches, which would leave the rest of us non-evangelicals hung out to dry.


If you define evangelical by it original Greek meaning (“good news”), rather than what it means nowadays (“fundamentalist”). Flynn, in my book is neither, except in the service of the talented grifter, Donald J. Trump, Sr.


Flynn's religion is QAnon



kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Nov 2017
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,529
Location: amid the sunlight and the dust and the wind

17 Nov 2021, 4:20 pm

Fnord wrote:
Which god?

Which religion?

Which scriptures?


American Lutheran Church

No more altar calls. If I'm at any kind of service and they have an altar call, I immediately get up and leave.

By the way, I thought about starting to go to a Cowboy Church until I saw a video of a Sunday service from one. The entire hour was just the preacher telling everyone what he thought. Being Lutheran, I'm used to a Liturgical Service and this was pretty much the opposite.

The one kind of non-Liturgical church that I would be likely to consider would be the Quakers. I do like the idea of everyone sitting there in silence unless one feels moved to speak. From what I understand, they will occasionally have a service where nobody says a thing.



Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Age: 65
Gender: Male
Posts: 57,019
Location: Stendec

17 Nov 2021, 4:21 pm

kokopelli wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Which god?

Which religion?

Which scriptures?
American Lutheran Church

No more altar calls. If I'm at any kind of service and they have an altar call, I immediately get up and leave.

By the way, I thought about starting to go to a Cowboy Church until I saw a video of a Sunday service from one. The entire hour was just the preacher telling everyone what he thought. Being Lutheran, I'm used to a Liturgical Service and this was pretty much the opposite.

The one kind of non-Liturgical church that I would be likely to consider would be the Quakers. I do like the idea of everyone sitting there in silence unless one feels moved to speak. From what I understand, they will occasionally have a service where nobody says a thing.
Thanks for the info, but I was asking those questions about Michael Flynn's religion.

:oops:

Sorry ... I should have been more specific.

I attend a Presbyterian church, which could be viewed as "Lutheran Lite".  Our altar call occurs near the end of services, so you would get to sit through everything else..



kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Nov 2017
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,529
Location: amid the sunlight and the dust and the wind

17 Nov 2021, 4:34 pm

Fnord wrote:
kokopelli wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Which god?

Which religion?

Which scriptures?
American Lutheran Church

No more altar calls. If I'm at any kind of service and they have an altar call, I immediately get up and leave.

By the way, I thought about starting to go to a Cowboy Church until I saw a video of a Sunday service from one. The entire hour was just the preacher telling everyone what he thought. Being Lutheran, I'm used to a Liturgical Service and this was pretty much the opposite.

The one kind of non-Liturgical church that I would be likely to consider would be the Quakers. I do like the idea of everyone sitting there in silence unless one feels moved to speak. From what I understand, they will occasionally have a service where nobody says a thing.
Thanks for the info, but I was asking those questions about Michael Flynn's religion.

:oops:

Sorry ... I should have been more specific.

I attend a Presbyterian church, which could be viewed as "Lutheran Lite".  Our altar call occurs near the end of services, so you would have to sit through everything else to get to it.


I never realized that the Presbyterian Church has altar calls!

Each year, there are a few community type services around here. For example, Baccalaureate for the graduating class, a Community Thanksgiving service, a Community Christmas service, and a small number of others. For years, they were very non-denominational.

Then some of the new fad-type preachers with their cult-like congregations took notice and joined the group. Instead of being non-denominational, they seem to treat it as an opportunity to impress everyone with their great wisdom (ha ha) and recruit them for their church. These invariably include altar calls. These have greatly increased my awareness of altar calls and my opposition to them. Prior to that, I was mostly ambivalent to them.

For a little story about altar calls, when we were kids, there was some kind of Baptist revival came to town and they held a daily revival at the school. It cause enough of an uproar the first day that after that nobody was required to go. Quite a few did, though.

One guy who was a year younger than me and went was a local hell-raiser. He went because of the altar calls. Someone asked him, "Why do you go to the altar calls? You're a Catholic and, as far as I know, Catholics don't have them." He replied, "Where else do you get to down and hug lots of excited, crying girls?" He never missed an altar call back then.



Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Age: 65
Gender: Male
Posts: 57,019
Location: Stendec

17 Nov 2021, 4:40 pm

Our altar calls are more subdued -- mostly announcements of anniversaries, birthdays, and travel plans -- rarely is there ever any emotional display, and I have never seen anyone "slain in the spirit" there.



funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Oct 2014
Age: 38
Gender: Non-binary
Posts: 17,958
Location: I'm right here

17 Nov 2021, 4:42 pm

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
My mom, my NT sister, and I are practicing Catholics, but if such a situation ever happens, we would pack up as quickly as possible and find a safe haven overseas.

However, if such a situation ever happens, it would obviously be a totalitarian state run by Communist-wannabes, but if this happens, the three of us would fight back against such a possible system.

:evil:


I think they'd be closer to Taliban wannabes than Communist wannabes.


_________________
You can't buy happiness; steal it.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う