Michael Flynn states the USA needs one religion

Page 3 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2021, 4:52 pm

Fnord wrote:
Our altar calls are more subdued -- mostly announcements of anniversaries, birthdays, and travel plans -- rarely is there ever any emotional display, and I have never seen anyone "slain in the spirit" there.

That wouldn't be so bad, then.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2021, 4:55 pm

kokopelli wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Our altar calls are more subdued -- mostly announcements of anniversaries, birthdays, and travel plans -- rarely is there ever any emotional display, and I have never seen anyone "slain in the spirit" there.
Meh ... I can live through it.

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2021, 4:57 pm

Fnord wrote:
kokopelli wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Meh ... I can live through it.

I'm not big on handling rattlesnakes, either. I doubt that the Presbyterians do that, though.

Don't get me wrong -- when I find a rattlesnake, I leave him alone as long as it isn't by the house. And if I see one on the highway, I stop and chase him off so that he doesn't get run over.

I just think handling them is crazy.

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2021, 5:02 pm

From the article at https://www.businessinsider.com/carl-bernstein-says-michael-flynns-comment-on-religion-are-stupefying-2021-11:

Quote:
"What's mostly significant here is much of the Republican Party, both officials in the Republican Party and voters — 48, 50% of the voters who believe in Donald Trump and Trumpism, many of them, something like 35% in exit polls, said they favor Trump and Trumpism because Christianity is being taken away from them," Bernstein said. "So, Michael Flynn is not that far away from huge numbers of people in this country."

And they expect someone like Trump to save Christianity for them? That's a big laugh. Trump would be about the last person I'd think about turning to in order to somehow save Christianity. The only way he would want to save it is if he was getting payoff money from them to line his pocket. And all the churches would have to put his portrait on the altar.

UncannyDanny
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2021, 5:11 pm

cyberdad wrote:
UncannyDanny wrote:
....Or I could actually be a 'Grey Jedi'. :wink:

I just recited the Sith code just for fun.

The Greys don't follow a code do they?

They do follow their own code, just as long as they don't actually do things that could make them fall to the Dark Side.

It doesn't necessarily mean to be absolutely neutral, but just simply do what they can to keep either side from gaining too much power, which will otherwise lead to chaos.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2021, 6:54 pm

UncannyDanny wrote:
AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
UncannyDanny wrote:
If THIS happens, then there really won't be a freedom of religion in the US.

IMO, not only this, but also all freedoms that are part of the US Constitution.

Then what, the second Civil War?

IMO, if such a system ever takes power of the US Government, I don't think there would be
much of a point of a second Civil War.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2021, 8:26 pm

MuddRM wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Of course Flynn is referring to establishing Christianity as the sole American religion. Well, as there's far more than just one kind of Christian theology, it can be a sure bet that he means evangelical type churches, which would leave the rest of us non-evangelicals hung out to dry.

If you define evangelical by it original Greek meaning (“good news”), rather than what it means nowadays (“fundamentalist”). Flynn, in my book is neither, except in the service of the talented grifter, Donald J. Trump, Sr.

I absolutely agree. Later during the Reformation, Luther called his church Evangelical, even though theologically, the doctrines he, and Calvin, Crammer, and Zwingli taught were the foundations mostly of today's mainline Protestant theologies.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2021, 8:38 pm

UncannyDanny wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
UncannyDanny wrote:

They do follow their own code, just as long as they don't actually do things that could make them fall to the Dark Side.

It doesn't necessarily mean to be absolutely neutral, but just simply do what they can to keep either side from gaining too much power, which will otherwise lead to chaos.

A few tried but fell to the dark side.

UncannyDanny
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2021, 9:22 pm

cyberdad wrote:
UncannyDanny wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
UncannyDanny wrote:

They do follow their own code, just as long as r themthey don't actually do things that could make them fall to the Dark Side.

A few tried but fell to the dark side.

Dang, I feel bad for them.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2021, 2:58 am

kokopelli wrote:
From the article at https://www.businessinsider.com/carl-bernstein-says-michael-flynns-comment-on-religion-are-stupefying-2021-11:

Quote:
"What's mostly significant here is much of the Republican Party, both officials in the Republican Party and voters — 48, 50% of the voters who believe in Donald Trump and Trumpism, many of them, something like 35% in exit polls, said they favor Trump and Trumpism because Christianity is being taken away from them," Bernstein said. "So, Michael Flynn is not that far away from huge numbers of people in this country."

And they expect someone like Trump to save Christianity for them? That's a big laugh. Trump would be about the last person I'd think about turning to in order to somehow save Christianity. The only way he would want to save it is if he was getting payoff money from them to line his pocket. And all the churches would have to put his portrait on the altar.

Trump had privately admitted he considers religious leaders to be charlatans. As such, the sheep are there for him to bilk. I remember when Trump was an atheist back in the day!

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2021, 3:04 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Trump had privately admitted he considers religious leaders to be charlatans. As such, the sheep are there for him to bilk. I remember when Trump was an atheist back in the day!

Trump's morality reminds me of boss hog from the Dukes of Hazzard. He represents the antitheses of a devout christian.
Yet this stat always amuses me
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... rted-trump

It's like your a psychiatrist and the United States is your patient. You know they have symptoms of a disorder but they are unwilling to acknowledge they have a problem.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2021, 11:40 am

Fnord wrote:
There is no chaos in the world, only complexity.

What do you mean by saying there is no chaos? How do you personally define "chaos," such that you think it does not exist?

See the Wikipedia article on chaos theory.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2021, 11:43 am

Fnord wrote:
Existence is a choice.

Really? You chose to come into existence?

Fnord wrote:
There is no chaos in the world, only complexity.

What do you mean by saying there is no chaos? How do you personally define "chaos," such that you think it does not exist?

See the Wikipedia article on chaos theory.

EDIT: It has occurred to me to Google some phrases in your post. Turns out that your post, in its entirety, is an unidentified quote, apparently from a series of fantasy role-playing video games called "Dragon Age," which I'm not familiar with. So there are probably some nuances I'm not getting, and that may be lost on other non-gamers here as well. Perhaps it might be helpful if you could explain the background of the quote?

Fnord wrote:
Suffering is a choice.

Generally, no.

Last edited by Mona Pereth on 20 Nov 2021, 12:40 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2021, 11:48 am

cyberdad wrote:
There is no emotion, there is peace.
There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.
There is no passion, there is serenity.
There is no chaos, there is harmony.
There is no death, there is the Force

I don't quite understand the relevance of the Jedi code mantra to this discussion. Am I missing something? Could you please explain?

MuddRM
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Nov 2021, 8:36 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Of course Flynn is referring to establishing Christianity as the sole American religion. Well, as there's far more than just one kind of Christian theology, it can be a sure bet that he means evangelical type churches, which would leave the rest of us non-evangelicals hung out to dry.

I'm definitely toast then.

Both of us, my fellow Lutheran!

Count me in, also!

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2021, 2:25 am

kokopelli wrote:
By the way, I thought about starting to go to a Cowboy Church until I saw a video of a Sunday service from one. The entire hour was just the preacher telling everyone what he thought. Being Lutheran, I'm used to a Liturgical Service and this was pretty much the opposite.

I never heard of a "Cowboy Church" before, so I Googled it. Seems to be a relatively new Christian religious movement: "In 1972 the cowboy church concept was created by Glenn Smith as chronicled in his book Apostle Cowboy Style published in 1988" -- according to the Wikipedia article on "Cowboy Church."