Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

janicka
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2007, 2:17 pm

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=540784

Man Accused of Torturing Kittens
October 4th, 2006 @ 3:28pm
(KSL News) -- A Salt Lake man is accused of torturing kittens.

According to the Salt Lake County Animal Shelter he scanned advertisements looking for free kittens. He then allegedly brought them home and mutilated them.

The man's girlfriend dropped the injured kittens off at various animal shelters. As many as seven or eight kittens have turned up within the past few months.

Temma Martin, Salt Lake County Animal Shelter: "People need to be aware it's not okay to continually have litters of kittens and give them away, because you do not know where they are ending up and what's happening to them."

According to police, the man has an upcoming arraignment on other charges this month and there have been reports of domestic violence in his home.

Members of the Humane Society say 85% of battered women also report abuse of pets in the home. Right now they are working on legislation to make animal cruelty a felony offense in Utah.

janicka
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2007, 2:18 pm

Today there was a follow up story:

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=1034899

Man Pleas Guilty to Animal Abandonment, Animal Cruelty Charges Dropped
March 26th, 2007 @ 5:58pm
(KSL News) A Salt Lake County man could face up to six months in jail for abusing kittens.

Clint L. Wilkes pleaded guilty to one count of animal abandonment today. In exchange for the plea, prosecutors dropped two other misdemeanor counts of animal cruelty against him.

Police said Wilkes would find the kittens through ads in the newspaper, and then break their bones or burn them with chemicals. He would then have his girlfriend drop the injured animals off at shelters.

Wilkes will be sentenced in May.

MrWizard
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Mar 2007, 2:22 pm

A tag team of disturbed individuals, boyfriend and girlfriend, huh? Domestic violence, too? Surprise. Well, at least they got who they deserved. Unfortunately I doubt they would keep having 'fun' with kittens for too long. They'd get bored and look for something bigger, smarter, and two-legged to get their jollies with. I hope this event teaches them a lesson, or we might be hearing from them again in a case that -will- be treated as a felony.

Natalie
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 Mar 2007, 2:23 pm

If I caught that as*hole doing that, I would probably kill him. I'm totally serious. Cats are my favorite animal, so I react strongly when I hear of them being mistreated or killed (even if I see a roadkill cat on the road, it usually makes me cry).

MrWizard
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Mar 2007, 2:25 pm

Unfortunately, I don't think the jury will buy your "revenge for the kitties" defense in your murder trial.

janicka
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2007, 2:27 pm

They're my favorite animals too... I didn't hear about this when the story was first reported in October. I'd have volunteered to adopt one or more of those kitties. I wouldn't mind having to take care of a medically needy cat.

janicka
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2007, 2:30 pm

MrWizard wrote:
or we might be hearing from them again in a case that -will- be treated as a felony.

Unfortunately the Utah legislature didn't pass the felony animal cruelty bill. They let it expire. But there are a number of reasons that the governor wants to call them back for a special session, and he promised that he'd make them vote on a felony animal cruelty bill if he calls for the special session. And THAT bill was introduced because some sicko stuck his wife's (now ex-wife's) dog in an oven - I think I posted that story as well.

MrWizard
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Mar 2007, 2:35 pm

janicka wrote:
MrWizard wrote:
or we might be hearing from them again in a case that -will- be treated as a felony.

Unfortunately the Utah legislature didn't pass the felony animal cruelty bill. They let it expire. But there are a number of reasons that the governor wants to call them back for a special session, and he promised that he'd make them vote on a felony animal cruelty bill if he calls for the special session. And THAT bill was introduced because some sicko stuck his wife's (now ex-wife's) dog in an oven - I think I posted that story as well.

I was referring to the hypothetical time when they may or may not eventually turn to human torture/slaughter.

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

27 Mar 2007, 2:38 pm

If I'm on the jury of the guy who murders this SOB your taking a walk.

MrWizard
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Mar 2007, 2:41 pm

TheMachine1 wrote:

That's probably why you would get disqualified as a juror during the preliminary hearings. :wink:

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2007, 2:46 pm

MrWizard wrote:
TheMachine1 wrote:

That's probably why you would get disqualified as a juror during the preliminary hearings. :wink:

Yeah plus if I said I was atheist I would be booted.

MrWizard
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Mar 2007, 2:52 pm

In any case, she would be tried and found guilty of murder in the first degree (most likely) as well as vigilanteeism (depending on the state laws.) We're looking at anywhere between 25-Life if she's tried as an adult.

In my opinion, the life of even a bad person is worth more than a few animals, no matter what species. People have disorders. They can get help. They can control themselves, and they can redeem themselves. They can make a positive impact whereas a cat is just a cat.

It's a terrible crime. But we can't just start talking about killing the guy for it. And what about the girlfriend?

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2007, 2:56 pm

MrWizard wrote:
In my opinion, the life of even a bad person is worth more than a few animals, no matter what species. People have disorders. They can get help. They can control themselves, and they can redeem themselves. They can make a positive impact whereas a cat is just a cat.

It's a terrible crime. But we can't just start talking about killing the guy for it. And what about the girlfriend?

The deal is people who take pleasure in torturing animals get the same pleasure in harming people. I have no problem with this guy getting a one way ticket to a grave yard.

MrWizard
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Mar 2007, 3:00 pm

And if he were a child?

Santa_Claus
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2007, 3:08 pm

MrWizard wrote:
In any case, she would be tried and found guilty of murder in the first degree (most likely) as well as vigilanteeism (depending on the state laws.) We're looking at anywhere between 25-Life if she's tried as an adult.

I agree totally.

Santa_Claus
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2007, 3:09 pm

MrWizard wrote:
And if he were a child?

Another great point.