Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2021, 12:19 pm

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/politi ... of-the-u-s

What's your take on this? I knew Alberta wasn't happy with your status quo but I didn't think they wanted to join the US.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2021, 6:10 am

Axeman wrote:
https://edmontonjournal.com/news/politics/wexit-co-founder-wants-alberta-to-become-part-of-the-u-s

What's your take on this? I knew Alberta wasn't happy with your status quo but I didn't think they wanted to join the US.

They fear the government in Ottawa will adopt policies to restrict operations at the Tar Sands out of obedience to their master Thunberg.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2021, 7:34 am

That would look strange on the map. Alberta would become a loose toupee ...flopping around in the wind...on top of the head of the rest of the USA. :lol:

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2021, 10:40 am

naturalplastic wrote:
That would look strange on the map. Alberta would become a loose toupee ...flopping around in the wind...on top of the head of the rest of the USA. :lol:

My question would be would they be happy as Americans? I mean they have been raised with a history, culture, and traditions of their own, namely those of Canada. Are they going to drop iconography featuring Queen Victoria for George Washington?

Also fifty one stars would mess up the flag lol.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2021, 12:14 pm

Axeman wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

My question would be would they be happy as Americans? I mean they have been raised with a history, culture, and traditions of their own, namely those of Canada. Are they going to drop iconography featuring Queen Victoria for George Washington?

Up to them I suppose.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2021, 2:05 pm

Axeman wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

Well... their school kids would have to learn to recite the poem about "the Midnight Ride of Paul Revere" (the British are coming!).

And they would have to learn songs like these:

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2021, 6:19 pm

I've seen this gamed out before, in almost any scenario where Canada breaks up in some way, eventually we end up with the whole thing. Which would be hilarious.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2021, 7:21 pm

Some Albertans have been talking crap like this for years. Separate from Canada, joint the USA etc blah blah.

It all stems from absurd mismanagement of money and resources at every level for decades or longer. They’re a nearly single industry Province and never learn from going through boom and bust cycles. When oil money is good, they don’t save and invest personally or Provincially - everyone spends like drunken sailors. The when the music stops they’re all broke and whining. Wtf? They have ~the highest incomes in the country and plenty of opportunity to build wealth - individually and as a Province, but instead they squander that opportunity each and every time then b***h and complain about the consequences of their actions.

Just a bunch of backwards politics and whining that amounts to little more than empty threats of a vocal minority, IMO. They’re on the cusp of being in a long term have-not bust cycle and are going to be dependent on the rest of Canada for survival in terms of trade as well as employment as their workforce migrates around And investment in terms of things like shifting to a tech economy. They’ll make things overly complicated if they form or join another country, which will just shoot themselves in the foot when they need the rest of Canada the most.

If anything, a few WEXIT types will simply emigrate to the USA.

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2021, 8:31 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Some Albertans have been talking crap like this for years. Separate from Canada, joint the USA etc blah blah.

It all stems from absurd mismanagement of money and resources at every level for decades or longer. They’re a nearly single industry Province and never learn from going through boom and bust cycles. When oil money is good, they don’t save and invest personally or Provincially - everyone spends like drunken sailors. The when the music stops they’re all broke and whining. Wtf? They have ~the highest incomes in the country and plenty of opportunity to build wealth - individually and as a Province, but instead they squander that opportunity each and every time then b***h and complain about the consequences of their actions.

Just a bunch of backwards politics and whining that amounts to little more than empty threats of a vocal minority, IMO. They’re on the cusp of being in a long term have-not bust cycle and are going to be dependent on the rest of Canada for survival in terms of trade as well as employment as their workforce migrates around And investment in terms of things like shifting to a tech economy. They’ll make things overly complicated if they form or join another country, which will just shoot themselves in the foot when they need the rest of Canada the most.

Well I hate to break it to them but they can't just have a plebicite and decide to be Americans. Congress would have to approve their entry into the Union.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2021, 8:43 pm

Axeman wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

Well I hate to break it to them but they can't just have a plebicite and decide to be Americans. Congress would have to approve their entry into the Union.

These people are.. basically the type of stereotypical trump supporters that go viral in videos for the not-so-bright things they say. They don't have any comprehension of these things, nor the desire or capacity to learn them.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2021, 8:47 pm

Every few years, talk of secession gains volume in Michigan’s northern peninsula. Californians have threatened to secede with Oregon and Washington to form a single west-coast country (Cali’s economy is 5th in the entire world). Texans cry to become a separate republic again whenever the Democrats gain control.

Alberta seceding from Canada is old news, as well.

It is all just talk, anyway.

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2021, 8:50 pm

Fnord wrote:
Every few years, talk of secession gains volume in Michigan’s northern peninsula. Californians have threatened to secede with Oregon and Washington to form a single west-coast country (Cali’s economy is 5th in the entire world). Texans cry to become a separate republic again whenever the Democrats gain control.

Alberta seceding from Canada is old news, as well.

It is all just talk, anyway.

And the South still holds hope for Confederacy part two.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2021, 8:54 pm

i was not aware so many Albertans were so backwards. they seem to have caught the amuuurican virus.

Axeman
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2021, 9:05 pm

auntblabby wrote:
i was not aware so many Albertans were so backwards. they seem to have caught the amuuurican virus.

What I had always heard about them is that they are like Canada's answer to Texans. Conservative, old fashioned, and with an economy where oil is the main industry. Geographically and climate wise the Province is like Colorado though.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2021, 9:44 pm

so they are canada's answer to "flyover country" then. glad i never wasted any time there. wish i could say the same about texas.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2021, 12:33 pm

Its been seriously suggested that Scotland should secede from the UK and join Canada.

So...

1) Scotland joins Canada

2) Quebec leaves Canada to become its own Francophone country.

3)Alberta leaves Canada to join the USA.

4) California, Oregan, and Washington breakaway to form their own single country.

5)The eleven states of the old Confederacy break away a second time, but...

6) Texas, which WAS part of the old Confederacy, breaks away from both the north AND the south to be its own country. Resulting in Texas being one country, and the remaining former Southern Confederate states to the east forming a single second country.

And everyone is now happy! :D