Mass Shooting in Michigan High School

Page 16 of 21 [ 332 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 21  Next

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2021, 5:33 pm

TheRobotLives wrote:
The kid said he drew a picture of a video game.

So, you expect the parents to ...

1. take off work immediately
2. run out to an expensive doctor, which they may not be able to afford
3. show said picture to said doctor and ask, "Help my child, he draws pictures of video games"?

The kid murdered 4 people.

So, you expect us to ...

1) ... ignore your attempts to defend the teachers' naiveté?
2) ... ignore your attempts to defend the parents' negligence?
3) ... ignore your indifference to the crimes committed?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2021, 5:43 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I don't think detention is the right word. He hadn't done anything wrong other than using his phone in class, and making a depressed drawing which said he needed help. I get your point though. If the parents were refusing to take him out of the school he shouldn't have been left alone through the lunch break.

Yes my daughter is handled this way and so was Kraichgauer's daughter.

Kraichgauer wrote:
Incidentally, I am a parent, as well. When my daughter - who is autistic - had a meltdown in school, we'd drop everything and go get her. At one point, she actually hit a teacher - a much more severe action than merely looking up the price of ammo.

Even though she is 16 she has elbowed her teacher or got into fights this year and was sent to sit with the deputy principal. Admittedly this is a form a negative reinforcement where her actions have consequences (losing recess/lunch). She goes to an NT school and many of her classmates get into fights/other infractions also end up in recess/lunchtime detention so it's not just for autistic kids.

Mental health is not taken seriously at schools. But I can also see how teachers aren't trained to see the first signs of depression or mental breakdown. In NT schools the teachers also often don't care that much, When I was in school they had a sink or swim attitude. If kids were sinking then that was their problem not the teachers.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2021, 5:58 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
When my daughter - who is autistic - had a meltdown in school, we'd drop everything and go get her. At one point, she actually hit a teacher - a much more severe action than merely looking up the price of ammo.

When one raises a child with a special need, as you and I have, you learn quickly that dropping everything and tending to the need is the only way through; failing to do so escalates problems. But I don’t think most parents have been forced to learn that, and it may not be true for every child. Whether or not these parents (who generally seem incredibly self-centered) should have know better will be part of what needs to be dealt with at trial.

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2021, 6:15 pm

Fnord wrote:
1) He is exercising his right to remain silent

But I thought the point of murders like that is to make some kind of statement (kind of like Cho released a manifesto). So why wouldn't he "want" to tell why he did it? Isn't it kinda his whole point?

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2021, 6:47 pm

QFT wrote:
Fnord wrote:

But I thought the point of murders like that is to make some kind of statement (kind of like Cho released a manifesto). So why wouldn't he "want" to tell why he did it? Isn't it kinda his whole point?

I have the impression that the ones wanting to make a point seem to end their own lives at the same time, thus having no need for lawyers reminding them not to speak.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2021, 7:01 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
When my daughter - who is autistic - had a meltdown in school, we'd drop everything and go get her. At one point, she actually hit a teacher - a much more severe action than merely looking up the price of ammo.

When one raises a child with a special need, as you and I have, you learn quickly that dropping everything and tending to the need is the only way through; failing to do so escalates problems. But I don’t think most parents have been forced to learn that, and it may not be true for every child. Whether or not these parents (who generally seem incredibly self-centered) should have know better will be part of what needs to be dealt with at trial.

My daughter is autistic, with combined-type ADHD, and she’s Gifted. Dual (triple?) diagnoses like that make children very prone to boredom and frustration at school. She has sensory issues and used to walk out of her classrooms unnoticed to find small spaces to sit unsupervised. I once found her outside by herself at age 4 when she was at a summer program. The teachers hadn’t noticed. She also has a permanent physical condition which meant she was frequently sick or unable to attend school because of appointments. As she got older she developed PTSD because of her narcissistic father, in addition to depression, anxiety, and demand / avoidance behaviours.

My son was fostered and adopted. He has ADHD, ODD, learning disabilities, impulsive behaviours and had run-ins with the law during adolescence. His parents were drug abusers so he had those genetics. He barely scraped through school. He’s very successful now but those years were tough.

I have moderate Autism and ADHD which weren’t even diagnosed so I had no support with executive function or mental health. I still managed to work full time, own a house, and raise my kids to be incredible humans without the help of a spouse. If I could do it, why couldn’t they? The boy in this story has two parents and to the best of my knowledge his parents aren’t autistic. I don’t understand how two people together can’t manage to meet the needs of one child when those needs were brought to their attention by school personnel. The boy could have been suicidal, but they appear to have been nonplussed — even knowing he owned a gun which they’d provided for him.

You, Kraich, and the rest of us who dedicate our lives to parenting wouldn’t dream of setting our kids up for failure the way these two morons did.

It’s so sad, and such an unfathomable tragedy that other people’s children suffered and lost their lives as a result of their negligence and neglect.

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2021, 7:12 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
QFT wrote:
Fnord wrote:

I have the impression that the ones wanting to make a point seem to end their own lives at the same time, thus having no need for lawyers reminding them not to speak.

There are many ways of making a point: some involve ending the life, others don't.

But, logically, everyone who committed a murder have to make "some" point. Otherwise, what was their purpose?

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2021, 7:18 pm

QFT wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
QFT wrote:
Fnord wrote:

There are many ways of making a point: some involve ending the life, others don't.

But, logically, everyone who committed a murder have to make "some" point. Otherwise, what was their purpose?

Who cares. It’s not like any killer’s particular motivation will ever be understood, and it’s not like their logic is valid. Our job is to make sure there are safeguards in place to prevent these tragedies happening again.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2021, 7:35 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
There are no “riflery” classes in high schools.

High school gun clubs and teams in the United States
Quote:
As of 2018, there are reportedly more than 2,000 high-school rifle programs across the United States.In 2015, 9,245 students in 317 schools across three states participated in the USA High School Clay Target League. In 2018, participation had increased 138% with 21,917 students from 804 teams in 20 states.

Supported by organizations like the Civilian Marksmanship Program, school-based gun education was routine for much of the 20th century.

According to John Lott:
Until 1969 virtually every public high school—even in New York City—had a shooting club. High school students in New York City carried their guns to school on the subways in the morning, turned them over to their homeroom teacher or the gym coach during the day, and retrieved them after school for target practice. Club members were given their rifles and ammunition by the federal government. Students regularly competed in citywide shooting contests for university scholarships.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2021, 8:21 pm

QFT wrote:

This might apply to politically motivated murders like those of Dylan Roof or Anders Breveik.

Serial killers are driven by compulsion to kill (not logic).

A lot of school shooters are driven by anger, regret, envy, jealousy, depression and suicidal ideation. These are based on emotion not logic.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2021, 8:22 pm

TheRobotLives wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
TheRobotLives wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
They blew the school off after they had been warned their kid seriously needed counseling. That is negligence in it's entirety. Added to that, they refused to take the kid home after the meeting.

You continually post inaccurate information.

The school refused to send the child home, because the child had no disciplinary infractions and his parents would not be at home (because they would be at work).

The school superintendent ...

"Given the fact that the child had no prior disciplinary infractions, the decision was made he would be returned to the classroom rather than sent home to an empty house,” Throne said in the written statement.
https://www.axios.com/michigan-suspect- ... 7ffbb.html

As you've been told by another WP member, the parents were supposed to be parents FIRST! Then business people. I can't imagine a court showing the so called parents sympathy on that point.
Incidentally, I am a parent, as well. When my daughter - who is autistic - had a meltdown in school, we'd drop everything and go get her. At one point, she actually hit a teacher - a much more severe action than merely looking up the price of ammo.

The kid said he drew a picture of a video game.

So, you expect the parents to ...

1. take off work immediately
2. run out to an expensive doctor, which they may not be able to afford
3. show said picture to said doctor and ask, "Help my child, he draws pictures of video games"?

But it wasn't for a video game. If the teachers could see the kid was distressed but the parents didn't, then they're both sh***y parents.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2021, 8:25 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

My daughter is autistic, with combined-type ADHD, and she’s Gifted. Dual (triple?) diagnoses like that make children very prone to boredom and frustration at school. She has sensory issues and used to walk out of her classrooms unnoticed to find small spaces to sit unsupervised. I once found her outside by herself at age 4 when she was at a summer program. The teachers hadn’t noticed. She also has a permanent physical condition which meant she was frequently sick or unable to attend school because of appointments. As she got older she developed PTSD because of her narcissistic father, in addition to depression, anxiety, and demand / avoidance behaviours.

My son was fostered and adopted. He has ADHD, ODD, learning disabilities, impulsive behaviours and had run-ins with the law during adolescence. His parents were drug abusers so he had those genetics. He barely scraped through school. He’s very successful now but those years were tough.

I have moderate Autism and ADHD which weren’t even diagnosed so I had no support with executive function or mental health. I still managed to work full time, own a house, and raise my kids to be incredible humans without the help of a spouse. If I could do it, why couldn’t they? The boy in this story has two parents and to the best of my knowledge his parents aren’t autistic. I don’t understand how two people together can’t manage to meet the needs of one child when those needs were brought to their attention by school personnel. The boy could have been suicidal, but they appear to have been nonplussed — even knowing he owned a gun which they’d provided for him.

You, Kraich, and the rest of us who dedicate our lives to parenting wouldn’t dream of setting our kids up for failure the way these two morons did.

It’s so sad, and such an unfathomable tragedy that other people’s children suffered and lost their lives as a result of their negligence and neglect.

Thanks for saying so. 8)

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2021, 8:25 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
But it wasn't for a video game. If the teachers could see the kid was distressed but the parents didn't, then they're both sh***y parents.

The child was not distressed.

He was well-behaved.

That is partially why the counselors sent him back to class.

Be the hero of your life.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2021, 8:26 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

:thumleft:

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2021, 8:28 pm

cyberdad wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
I don't think detention is the right word. He hadn't done anything wrong other than using his phone in class, and making a depressed drawing which said he needed help. I get your point though. If the parents were refusing to take him out of the school he shouldn't have been left alone through the lunch break.

Yes my daughter is handled this way and so was Kraichgauer's daughter.

Kraichgauer wrote:

Even though she is 16 she has elbowed her teacher or got into fights this year and was sent to sit with the deputy principal. Admittedly this is a form a negative reinforcement where her actions have consequences (losing recess/lunch). She goes to an NT school and many of her classmates get into fights/other infractions also end up in recess/lunchtime detention so it's not just for autistic kids.

Mental health is not taken seriously at schools. But I can also see how teachers aren't trained to see the first signs of depression or mental breakdown. In NT schools the teachers also often don't care that much, When I was in school they had a sink or swim attitude. If kids were sinking then that was their problem not the teachers.

My daughter is in a special ed class, so she's shielded from NT bullying, thankfully.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2021, 8:28 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:

Very.

Thank you for all your hard work and attention with your own children. We all benefit when parents take the job seriously.