Veteran

12 Dec 2021, 1:45 pm

Gang of otters attack man
https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com ... o-die/amp/

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2021, 3:39 pm

And he reported that the otters were all wearing green "PETA caps", and they all yelled anti human species epithets at him!

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2021, 3:53 pm

I saw that online. Bizarre.

I knew that otters existed in the jungle rivers of the tropics. But why would a gang of 20 them be hanging out in downtown Singapore (like the middle of Manhatten)?

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2021, 5:06 pm

https://www.google.com/amp/s/api.nation ... e-wildlife

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2021, 2:02 am

Tourists can book accommodation on zoo grounds so take advantage to go for early morning walks to interact with the animals who are out and about before the tropical sun takes effect.

My understanding is the otters had cubs so were overprotective and got spooked by a jogger and attacked the next dude who turned the corner who happened to be the victim (who may have resembled the idiot jogging),

I mean who jogs in the zoo??

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2021, 2:23 am

I was thinking that it was some form of "mistaken identity" like that.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2021, 3:41 am

I hope the zoo/authorities don't hurt the otters.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2021, 10:19 am

It was a botanical garden not a zoo.People love those otters there so I’m sure they are safe.
I’ve only seen an otter once, my Lab kept barking at something in the small creek by my house so I went to investigate.At first I thought it was a beaver.I was so happy to see an otter on the wild , so darn cute.I quieted the Lab and she got curious and stuck her nose down to sniff the otter.The otter promptly bit her right on the nose and the Lab ran back to the house yelping.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2021, 7:09 pm

Otters are cute. I love them when they come visiting our pond.

They are also vicious and protective. I watched a mother otter tear into a much larger bobcat sneaking up on her pups.

I had no idea they worked collaboratively, such as this poor fellow. I would be terrified.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2021, 7:16 pm

Gosh Blazing..

what part of north america do you live in?

Would love to see otters in the wild.

We have beavers, and even saw a muskrat once, here in the Maryland suburbs of DC, along the C&O canal. But havent seen otters. They are cute.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2021, 7:24 pm

I live in south Florida. Otters are relatively common in the swamps and along rivers, but not in the parks, like in Singapore!

River otters are also as far north and mid-north Quebec. I've seen them when paddling in northern waters. Maine...lots of otters.

We have a small pond, interrupting a very small creek. The otters seem to have a range of small creeks and they make the rounds. Our little pond, while full of fish, isn't enough to support continuous residency of any of the wildlife. They come and go and it is always interesting.

I think the funniest thing I ever saw was a baby otter just learning to fish. He had caught a fish, but couldn't figure out how to swim with his head above the water and hold onto the fish (bigger than his head) at the same time. Had it been on you tube it would have gone viral.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2021, 11:20 pm

Misslizard wrote:
It was a botanical garden not a zoo.People love those otters there so I’m sure they are safe.
I’ve only seen an otter once, my Lab kept barking at something in the small creek by my house so I went to investigate.At first I thought it was a beaver.I was so happy to see an otter on the wild , so darn cute.I quieted the Lab and she got curious and stuck her nose down to sniff the otter.The otter promptly bit her right on the nose and the Lab ran back to the house yelping.

Ooh sorry. So it's Singapore Botanic Gardens (not the zoo). That means the otter clan are wildlife. That might change how the animal control people act on this. Possible they might relocate "bitey" otters away from populated waterways.