Dick Cheney "Deeply Disappointed" in GOP Leadership

Page 1 of 6 [ 88 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2022, 4:01 pm

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/dick-cheney-capitol-jan-deeply-disappointed-gop-leadership/story?id=82112349

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2022, 7:02 pm

Well, I'm "deeply disappointed " that Cheney isn't rotting in a prison cell for crimes against the U.S. and humanity.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2022, 7:17 pm

Given how bad of a leader Donald Trump was during his tenure, I admit that I have a new appreciation
for George W. Bush AND Dick Cheney. :wink:

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2022, 7:57 pm

You have a new appreciation for war criminals? Hmmm.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2022, 9:02 pm

VegetableMan wrote:

While I can't speak for anyone else, I would suggest its a new appreciation for people able to keep most of their destruction outside of our borders without a seeming determination to run roughshod over our constitution and turn us into an autocracy. For all their faults and misdeeds, these were people who wanted to preserve (albeit in pared down form) and replicate (in different countries) the guiding principals of our government, rather than holding desire to emulate the actions and structures of leaders of other nations we've traditionally considered threats to Democracy. Before Trump and January 6th, I had not fully appreciated how important that one concept actually is. We should be able to disagree on nearly everything and anything, without trying to subvert the power of the people, because as long we can do that, the ship may continually list to one side or another, but it will keep floating.

Is that the right prioritization system? I suppose only time will tell. But is the one I grew up believing in, the one I and my relatives in other countries overseas always saw as the promise of America, despite whatever evil our nation engaged in internationally. There is no "American dream" without it, IMHO.

What happened a year ago didn't just shake the faith in Democracy of Americans; it shook my relatives overseas to the core. Is Democracy sustainable as a system of government? Looking at Jan 6th in conjunction with the fall of other governments that are now Democracies in name only, but not in fact, we are now forced to wonder.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2022, 11:20 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
Well, I'm "deeply disappointed " that Cheney isn't rotting in a prison cell for crimes against the U.S. and humanity.

Yes, Dick Cheney is the Prince of Darkness, and was the evil genius behind the clueless W. Bush. But that doesn't mean he isn't right in this case.
Sort of like how the aged Kaiser Wilhelm II, living in exile in the Netherlands, regarded Hitler as a dangerous lunatic.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2022, 2:59 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Sort of like how the aged Kaiser Wilhelm II, living in exile in the Netherlands, regarded Hitler as a dangerous lunatic.

Good anology, although I suspect Hitler has a much higher IQ

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2022, 3:39 am

cyberdad wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Good anology, although I suspect Hitler has a much higher IQ

Without a doubt.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2022, 4:48 am

I look forward to the day that current Democrats look back fondly on Trump while complaining about whatever new type of more extreme Republican has succeeded him, cause if they can come around on Dick Cheney, they can come around on anyone.

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2022, 6:41 am

DW_a_mom wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:

While I can't speak for anyone else, I would suggest its a new appreciation for people able to keep most of their destruction outside of our borders without a seeming determination to run roughshod over our constitution and turn us into an autocracy. For all their faults and misdeeds, these were people who wanted to preserve (albeit in pared down form) and replicate (in different countries) the guiding principals of our government, rather than holding desire to emulate the actions and structures of leaders of other nations we've traditionally considered threats to Democracy. Before Trump and January 6th, I had not fully appreciated how important that one concept actually is. We should be able to disagree on nearly everything and anything, without trying to subvert the power of the people, because as long we can do that, the ship may continually list to one side or another, but it will keep floating.

Is that the right prioritization system? I suppose only time will tell. But is the one I grew up believing in, the one I and my relatives in other countries overseas always saw as the promise of America, despite whatever evil our nation engaged in internationally. There is no "American dream" without it, IMHO.

What happened a year ago didn't just shake the faith in Democracy of Americans; it shook my relatives overseas to the core. Is Democracy sustainable as a system of government? Looking at Jan 6th in conjunction with the fall of other governments that are now Democracies in name only, but not in fact, we are now forced to wonder.

This was a very eloquent, intelligent response. Thank you.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2022, 7:57 am

If most Americans only care when bad things happen on our soil, that's a rather disturbing thought. But the immorality of it aside, consider the fact continuing the endless wars for profit is a serious existential threat to our country. Studying the fall of empires throughout history bears that out. When you're overstretched military and the government is run by a small group of corporate interests, the end is not far off.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

roronoa79
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2022, 2:16 pm

Dick Cheney, probably wrote:
I'm very disappointed in you all! Of course you're supposed to be evil, but you're supposed to at least pretend to be respectable so you can stay in power and personally profit from foreign wars!

Δυνατὰ δὲ οἱ προύχοντες πράσσουσι καὶ οἱ ἀσθενεῖς ξυγχωροῦσιν.
Those with power do what their power permits, and the weak can only acquiesce.

- Thucydides

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2022, 5:24 pm

HighLlama wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:

This was a very eloquent, intelligent response. Thank you.

Seconded.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2022, 8:43 pm

Dox47 wrote:
I look forward to the day that current Democrats look back fondly on Trump while complaining about whatever new type of more extreme Republican has succeeded him, cause if they can come around on Dick Cheney, they can come around on anyone.

Unless it's an even worse conservative who Trump had paved the way for.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2022, 8:47 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Unless it's an even worse conservative who Trump had paved the way for.

Dick Cheney is objectively worse than Trump, and far more conservative.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2022, 8:54 pm

Excellent point Kraichie.

The Obama years paved the way for a resurgence of old style American conservative nationalism that reared it's ugly head in the form of the tea party (the similarity between the tea party faithful and MAGAs is striking).

By 2016 the republicans were primed to elect a depraved individual like Trump. Trump's advisors knew the timing was right. Hillary Clinton described them in 2016 as "deplorable". Little would she (or the rest of the democrats) realise that worse was to come.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tommybeer/ ... 6082405231
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/27/us/p ... trump.html
https://thefulcrum.us/big-picture/qanon ... acy-theory

The current batch of republicans a breeding a heady mix of nutjobs who are espousing dangerous beliefs. The concoctions brewed by Q are eagerly assimilated into the belief systems of erstwhile normal people.

I miss the days when the republicans were just racist and took out their frustrations on Obama. Now they are drinking a brew of wacky conspiracies that is testing the limits of whatever shred of democracy American is hanging onto.