VP Harris Compares January 6th to Pearl Harbor & 9/11

Page 1 of 7 [ 106 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2022, 4:12 pm

https://www.businessinsider.com/kamala-harris-pearl-habor-911-comparison-jan-6-speech-2022-1

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2022, 4:23 pm

Oh, Lord! That is freaking absurd!

Could it be that Harris is suffering from dementia, too?

Oscar Meyer Lansky

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2022, 4:37 pm

I wouldn’t go as far as to consider 1/6/21 of equal magnitude to 11/7/41 and 9/11/01.

Nevertheless, it was a very troubling event.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2022, 4:40 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

Nevertheless, it was a very troubling event.

It sure was and IMO, will always be remembered as such.

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2022, 4:53 pm

Somma y'all making it sound like she said "these things are exactly the same", when what she actually said was "these are significant dates in history".

And in fairness, they are all attacks against america, on american soil, so there is that. And they're all things that had never really happened before, so there is that, too.

America tends to remember things like this. We still remember John Brown's failed raid against Harper's Ferry, 150 years later. You think america is gonna forget a raid on the capital?

Surely there's some children's book or sesame street character that is more deserving of this faux outrage...

Last edited by uncommondenominator on 06 Jan 2022, 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2022, 4:57 pm

uncommondenominator wrote:
. . . You think america is gonna forget a raid on the capital? . . .
Not if I can help it.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2022, 5:00 pm

Fnord wrote:
uncommondenominator wrote:
. . . You think america is gonna forget a raid on the capital? . . .
Not if I can help it.

Likewise.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2022, 5:20 pm

A date that will "live in infamy" for sure. Some degree of infamy.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2022, 5:35 pm

While there was way less casualties then the other two events, 1/6 was worse because it came from within.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2022, 7:00 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
1/6 was worse because it came from within.

I second this.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2022, 8:47 pm

To the extent we are looking at events that we never let ourselves believe could happen on American soil, and that shook our sense of security, I can see similarity. But this time our security managed to survive without breaking and the depth of actual loss was, of course, far different. More significantly, Jan 6th lacks the consensus on what has been lost, or if there has been a loss. We didn't have nearly half the country believing that Pearl Harbor and 9/11 were "no big deal."

I walk carefully with my word choices, naming it a "capital breach" to acknowledge the lack of consensus as to what happened.

I do worry about the guardrails of our Democracy more now than before. I worry if our Democracy can continue to survive the challenges of autocracy now more than I ever did before. I do worry about how many people are unable to see the on-going threat inherent to a man (and likely future presidential candidate) that openly applauds what has happened in Hungary, which has fallen to autocracy. I do worry about how many people are unable to see the on-going threat from a political party moving to consolidate power away from the majority of voters, and how that could pave the way for a want-to-be autocrat.

January 6th was a warning shot across the bow, and it worries me to see how many people are willing to downplay and ignore it.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2022, 9:06 pm

Well this makes me the outlier, I guess , and I cannot dismiss the violation of the capitol building using violence ,
But this was a demonstration of people’s right to dissent in a society that is suppose to allow free speech .
And yes , I am one of the crazies , that believe the conspiracy theories about 9/ 11 . And will wonder about the facts forever.
Bu t did no one ever consider that these knotheads probably figured they were exercising their own version of free speech in some radicalized mindset . Now that I have probably alienated everyone.
There is one factoid missing , These people did have a permit for their protest, that they got before their activities .
Abeit a bit on the extreme side…. :cry:

where ever you go ,there you are

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2022, 9:20 pm

Jakki wrote:
Well this makes me the outlier, I guess , and I cannot dismiss the violation of the capitol building using violence ,
But this was a demonstration of people’s right to dissent in a society that is suppose to allow free speech .
And yes , I am one of the crazies , that believe the conspiracy theories about 9/ 11 . And will wonder about the facts forever.
Bu t did no one ever consider that these knotheads probably figured they were exercising their own version of free speech in some radicalized mindset . Now that I have probably alienated everyone.
There is one factoid missing , These people did have a permit for their protest, that they got before their activities .
Abeit a bit on the extreme side…. :cry:

You haven't alienated me, but I think you are missing the differentiating factor of breaching the Capital building itself, with the intent of interfering with the process of government. That piece isn't free speech anymore, and I'm not sure how anyone can see it as such. I believe that is the turning point on the merits of our differing views. Even so, you are entitled to see it as you see it ... and I am entitled to tell you I think you are wrong.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2022, 9:24 pm

You make a good point they were interfering with a government process.. ! I get that now.

where ever you go ,there you are

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2022, 11:06 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
Oh, Lord! That is freaking absurd!

Could it be that Harris is suffering from dementia, too?

She was using hyperbole for sure, but it can't be denied that a coup attempt to erase a legitimate election result - as poorly thought out as it was - still represented a dire threat to democracy.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2022, 12:33 am

It was more comical than infamous.