Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2022, 1:15 am

This is starting to get interesting, previously he'd seemed somewhat hesitant to discuss his vaccine status and seemed almost cowed by booing crowds when talking about it, but now he's going after other Republicans for playing coy with it, and seems to be trying to take more ownership of the vaccine program:

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/trump-rips- ... er-say-it/

Quote:
Former President Donald Trump said that politicians who don’t disclose their booster shot status when asked in interviews are “gutless.”

He made the remarks on One America News in an interview aired on Tuesday night.

Host Dan Ball asked Trump about his comments encouraging people to get vaccinated against Covid-19. Ball cited the former president’s recent interview with Candace Owens in which Trump offered firm pushback against Owens’ anti-vax stance. “People aren’t dying when they take the vaccine,” he told her.

“Now after so many months of the vaccine being administered and these side affects, and Americans’ questions [sic] of it, do you reconsider your push for it? Or what’s your view on the vaccine in general?” Ball asked.

“Well, I’ve taken it,” said Trump. “I’ve had the booster. Many politicians–I watched a couple of politicians be interviewed and one of the questions was, ‘Did you get the booster?’ – because they had the vaccine – and they’re answering like–in other words, the answer is ‘yes’ but they don’t want to say it. Because they’re gutless. You gotta say it – whether you had it or not. Say it. But the fact is that I think the vaccines saved tens of millions throughout the world. I’ve had absolutely no side affects.”

The former president reiterated what he’d said to Owens, and stated that being vaccinated greatly reduces one’s chances of being hospitalized or dying from Covid.

“If they get it, they’re not going to hospitals for the most part and dying,” Trump said. “Before it was a horror. and now they’re not.”

Interestingly, some of Trump’s staunchest allies in Congress have refused to say whether they’re vaccinated, let alone boosted. As of last summer, nearly half of House Republicans declined to disclose their vaccination status.

Additionally, Trump ally Gov. Ron DeSantis (R-FL) has refused to say whether he has received the booster shot. “I’ve done whatever I did,” he said in December when asked if he’d been boosted. “The normal shot.”

I'm really curious how this will shake up Republican politics, as Trump has largely been able to bend the party to his will, but has also received push-back to his pro vax position, which he's now doubling down on and calling out other Republicans over, so I kind of view this as a referendum on the future of Trump and the GOP.

Also, at least for me, it raises the interesting question of what would have happened had the vaccines made it to market before the end of Trump's term; my feeling is that he'd have pushed them like crazy, and we'd see a reversed version of our current polarization over them, and he'd also still be president.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2022, 2:33 am

There is some merit in your speculation, how faster implementation might have affected the election (and the pandemic). We'll never know for sure.

He isn't dumb but he does usually react to the political winds, so I'm not sure what his play right now is. Is he saying it because he knows its the truth, or saying it to gain an advantage that I can't accurately assess right now?

My husband had an interesting point looking forward to 2024: who else is there? In either party? I firmly believe we cannot let that man win again, but who else is there with anything close to that kind of pull?

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2022, 2:42 am

Donald Trump is just a civilian who owns a few hotels.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2022, 3:25 am

Ive seen that in the news too...about how Trump is now suddenly, and unequivocally, pro vax at his rallies. Damn the boos from his audience, and full speed ahead on getting jabbed.

Its as if he had a sudden attack of sanity, and is FINDING his marbles again! 8O

Maybe Fox News will follow his example (its newscasters are all anti vax on camera, but the Fox company requires vaxing and masking of it employees) will also drop its hypocrisy and ...will become pro vax both in front and behind the camera...and force its commentators to encourage viewers to get jabbed. Which would be a good thing.

But you're worried that Trump getting off of the fence on the side of pro vax will "split the GOP"?

If Trump were to shoot his wife on national TV his cult would still follow him. But you're saying that encouraging vaccination is worse PR than shooting his spouse, and that it would actually alienate his cult from him?

Crazy as that sounds you may be right about him loosing much of his grassroots support. Many of those folks are probably looking for a new demagogue as we speak because of this new development.

Sanity! Commonsense! We cant have THAT! Lying about an election, and attacking democracy? No big deal. But encouraging immunization to the pandemic? Outrageous! :lol:

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2022, 3:34 am

DW_a_mom wrote:
My husband had an interesting point looking forward to 2024: who else is there? In either party? I firmly believe we cannot let that man win again, but who else is there with anything close to that kind of pull?

The Republicans have the deeper bench for sure, particularly if Trump drops dead or decides not to run, Ron DeSantis being the obvious current front runner as he seems to have figured out how to fuse the bombast to basic political competence, while things look grim on the Democratic side. Joe already looks decrepit and has failed to live up to his pitch of returning us to normalcy, placating the left flank of his party while alienating moderates and independents, while Kamala's numbers are in serious laugh out loud territory, though I suspect she manages to keep that hyena cackle under control when she looks at them. It's bad enough that people are whispering about Hilary 2024, which is perhaps the most hilariously desperate political move I've heard of in my lifetime, as if we need a 2016 rematch to cap off this era with. It's an honestly weird situation with such an aged and vulnerable incumbent president, an incredibly unpopular VP, and no clear successor in sight, though a lot could change by 2024, it could even be Kamala running as the incumbent, a frightening thought indeed.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2022, 3:40 am

naturalplastic wrote:
But you're worried that Trump getting off of the fence on the side of pro vax will "split the GOP"?

You misunderstand me, what I'm saying is that this will provide some answers regarding how much pull Trump really has within the GOP, if he can force the party into embracing the vaccine, or if the resistance to it is bigger than him, which might also break his hold on the party if he's seen to lose an intraparty showdown in public. If GOP politicians see that they can break with Trump and get away with it, he might end up with massively diminished influence within the party, so much of his power having come from his ability to sic the base on party members who crossed him.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2022, 1:16 am

I don't understand why people are against Trump being pro-vax, since a lot of people who hate Trump are also pro-vax. The people who hate Trump for trying to push a vaccine back when he was in office are also the same people who are trying to push the vax on everyone as well it seems. Contradiction?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2022, 2:31 am

ironpony wrote:
I don't understand why people are against Trump being pro-vax, since a lot of people who hate Trump are also pro-vax. The people who hate Trump for trying to push a vaccine back when he was in office are also the same people who are trying to push the vax on everyone as well it seems. Contradiction?

I dont know what parallel universe you are living in.

While in office there were no vaccines in existence until the last weeks of his administration. So masking/social distancing was the issue and not vaccines. Trump was condemned for being NOT vigorous enough in promoting masking and social distancing. And the folks who condemned him are the same group who now promote the vaccines, and I am not aware of any in that group who condemn him now for being pro vax. So that group were and are being consistent. But its the subset of his supporters back then who he had been pitching to by implying that he was anti mask and anti vax, who are NOW angry at him for changing his mind and now being pro vax. These are the folks who boo him at his recent rallies. And I suppose that they also are being "consistent" ...because they all still hate masks and vaxes, and are angry because Trump is the one who changed his tune.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2022, 2:35 am

naturalplastic wrote:
ironpony wrote:

While in office there were no vaccines in existence until the last weeks of his administration. So masking/social distancing was the issue and not vaccines. Trump was condemned for being NOT vigorous enough in promoting masking and social distancing. And the folks who condemned him are the same group who now promote the vaccines, and I am not aware of any in that group who condemn him now for being pro vax. So that group were and are being consistent. But its the subset of his supporters back then who he had been pitching to by implying that he was anti mask and anti vax, who are NOW angry at him for changing his mind and now being pro vax. These are the folks who boo him at his recent rallies. And I suppose that they also are being "consistent" ...because they all still hate masks and vaxes, and are angry because Trump is the one who changed his tune.

Oh I'm sorry, I got the timeline mixed up perhaps. So his supporters are now angry at Trump being bullish, and not the people who dislike him?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2022, 2:35 am

Even as Trump is at least mouthing a pro-vax stance, he and the lunatic right have unleashed an anti-vax monster that isn't going away any time soon.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2022, 3:08 am

It's just a gimmick.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2022, 9:31 am

Trump's business record ("Art of The Deal", for example) is rife with him claiming full credit for other people's work.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2022, 5:20 pm

ironpony wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
ironpony wrote:

Oh I'm sorry, I got the timeline mixed up perhaps. So his supporters are now angry at Trump being bullish, and not the people who dislike him?

Yes. And now that Trump started out by riding the populist anti vax tiger, he is now finding it hard to dismount without getting eaten up.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2022, 7:09 pm

Shouldn't people be happy that Trump switched sides on vaccination since maybe that means others may too?

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2022, 7:17 pm

ironpony wrote:
Shouldn't people be happy that Trump switched sides on vaccination since maybe that means others may too?

It's most likely anti vaxxers Trump lovers and they're mad he did the 180 on them when in fact he lied the first time about Covid by down playing it.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Last edited by League_Girl on 28 Jan 2022, 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2022, 7:23 pm

Oh okay but people listen to other polititicians when it comes to getting vaccinated, so will some others still listen to him since other politicians have convinced people as well?