Congresswoman Boebert: Oops she did it again

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2022, 1:25 pm

Rep. Boebert asks Jews visiting Capitol if they're doing ‘reconnaissance’

Quote:
Rep. Lauren Boebert asked a group of kippah-wearing Jewish visitors in a US Capitol building elevator on Thursday if they were there to do “reconnaissance,” Buzzfeed News reported

The outspoken Colorado Republican claimed the comment was a joke tied to criticism she has received over Capitol tours she reportedly gave in the days before the Jan. 6, 2021 insurrection there. Some in the elevator “got it,” she told Buzzfeed.

But an unnamed rabbi who was part of the group, which was visiting with Democratic House Rep. Tom Suozzi to mark the 41st anniversary of the end of the Iran hostage crisis, said he was left “very confused.”
“When I heard that, I actually turned to the person standing next to me and asked, ‘Did you just hear that?’” the rabbi said.

Another unnamed witness said Boebert looked over the group from “head to toe,” suggesting that she understood she was speaking to Jews when she made the comment. She told Buzzfeed, “I’m too short to see anyone’s yarmulkes.”

Boebert has taken heat several times in her short tenure in the House so far, including for suggesting that Democratic Rep. Ilhan Omar was a terrorist. In July, the Auschwitz museum condemned her rhetoric after she called public health employees working to combat COVID-19 “needle Nazis.”

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2022, 5:35 pm

She was actually making fun of herself, and her audience just didn't get the joke. Clearly national news.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2022, 8:44 pm

^^^
Her lack of joke delivery is still on her. People whose sense of humor can't go beyond demeaning someone else shouldn't attempt self-deprecating humor.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2022, 10:59 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
^^^
Her lack of joke delivery is still on her. People whose sense of humor can't go beyond demeaning someone else shouldn't attempt self-deprecating humor.

Even if I agree with you, which I don't as I don't know enough about what kind of jokes Boebert usually tells to make a judgement on her sense of humor, the way that the reporter is trying to sneak in an accusation of antisemitism is patently unfair, there's nothing about the joke or the delivery to suggest it had anything to do with the identity of the people she told it to.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2022, 11:05 pm

Dox47 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
^^^

Even if I agree with you, which I don't as I don't know enough about what kind of jokes Boebert usually tells to make a judgement on her sense of humor, the way that the reporter is trying to sneak in an accusation of antisemitism is patently unfair, there's nothing about the joke or the delivery to suggest it had anything to do with the identity of the people she told it to.

As I understand it, the Jewish people there weren't sure if they should be offended or not.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2022, 11:36 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
As I understand it, the Jewish people there weren't sure if they should be offended or not.

That's actually a good illustration of one of the things I dislike about identity based politics, it often leads to this sort of low grade paranoia about everything, the constant "is this person treating me differently because I'm X?" suspicion that I think is corrosive, and probably exhausting for the people doing it.

It also tends to piss off people who get falsely accused; this used to happen all the time to me when I worked at a shop that bought and sold used video games and accessories as the pawnshop laws that we operated under required us to get an ID when we bought used games, I can't tell you how many times I had a black customer blow up at me and accuse me of racially profiling them over it, when it wasn't even just corporate policy, it was the actual law. I've never been physically threatened more often in my life than the year or so I worked there, almost always over the ID policy, and usually by a guy with a super shady looking garbage bag full of games that sure looked like were recently stolen. It almost got to feel like a script, like they thought they could bulldoze the white guy into bending the rules for them with the bluster and the racism accusations, followed by the threats when those didn't work, but I think you know why I wasn't fazed by being called a racist and threatened.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2022, 12:28 am

Dox47 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

That's actually a good illustration of one of the things I dislike about identity based politics, it often leads to this sort of low grade paranoia about everything, the constant "is this person treating me differently because I'm X?" suspicion that I think is corrosive, and probably exhausting for the people doing it.

It also tends to piss off people who get falsely accused; this used to happen all the time to me when I worked at a shop that bought and sold used video games and accessories as the pawnshop laws that we operated under required us to get an ID when we bought used games, I can't tell you how many times I had a black customer blow up at me and accuse me of racially profiling them over it, when it wasn't even just corporate policy, it was the actual law. I've never been physically threatened more often in my life than the year or so I worked there, almost always over the ID policy, and usually by a guy with a super shady looking garbage bag full of games that sure looked like were recently stolen. It almost got to feel like a script, like they thought they could bulldoze the white guy into bending the rules for them with the bluster and the racism accusations, followed by the threats when those didn't work, but I think you know why I wasn't fazed by being called a racist and threatened.

Sure, there is false outrage over identity politics. But it can also be legit, as Boebert had recently smeared a Muslim colleague, and so it only makes sense that others would be gun shy around her. Also, one has to consider the history of Anti-Semitism to realize why Jews might be on alert for certain slurs.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2022, 5:32 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Sure, there is false outrage over identity politics. But it can also be legit, as Boebert had recently smeared a Muslim colleague, and so it only makes sense that others would be gun shy around her. Also, one has to consider the history of Anti-Semitism to realize why Jews might be on alert for certain slurs.

It's not that bigotry never happens, the problems start when you're constantly looking for it and getting false positives, or weaponizing accusations of it to cow people into doing what you want, like my customers used to try with me. Have you ever been on the receiving end of a false accusation? It's not fun, and these days it might even have powerful repercussions, depending on what industry you work in and what form the accusations take.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2022, 6:55 am

Dox47 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

It's not that bigotry never happens, the problems start when you're constantly looking for it and getting false positives, or weaponizing accusations of it to cow people into doing what you want, like my customers used to try with me. Have you ever been on the receiving end of a false accusation? It's not fun, and these days it might even have powerful repercussions, depending on what industry you work in and what form the accusations take.

Sure, but not concerning race.
Of course plenty of people get accused of bigotry when they shouldn't be. But Boebert has demonstrated herself that she's a pretty awful person.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2022, 1:22 am

If she's attempting humour then it's not funny.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2022, 2:12 am

cyberdad wrote:
If she's attempting humour then it's not funny.

I concur.