Whoopi Goldberg suspended for racist comments

Page 5 of 16 [ 242 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 16  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2022, 9:20 pm

Brictoria wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Brictoria wrote:
It's nice to see someone who was "cancelled" for less is reaching out to help:
Quote:
I want to send blessings & love out to the Jewish community.
When I was being smeared, cancelled & misunderstood, it was a Jewish man @benshapiro who reached out & asked if I’d like to talk about it.

Maybe @WhoopiGoldberg could talk to Ben.

Conversation over cancellation.

Source: https://twitter.com/ginacarano/status/1489027230697091076

I suspect Gina Carano's angle is why Whoopi Goldberg isn't being fired from Disney.

I see you have a problem with basic reading and comprehension... From Ms Carano's post (which you quoted in your reply):
Quote:

Seems fairly clear she isn't in favor of "cancellation" or having people fired.

It may be worth taking some time to read, rather than projecting your opinions onto others in future...

Seems you also have a problem with reading and comprehension since a predicated my sentence with "I suspect" which was not quoting the link you eagerly wanted everyone to see to make Carano seem like a victim of cancel culture

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2022, 9:21 pm

txfz1 wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

I think it's plausible Whoopi made her comment from the prism of US black/white relations where in her mind she saw no distinction between blonde haired jews and blonde haired Germans so it informed her comment that the latter is not about race, It simply means she is ill-informed and might benefit from attending an education program about anti-semitism.

This is the same as I understand her words. The issue is admitting she is ill-informed, she makes a lot of money to be provide an informed opinion. I think I learned Hitler thought the jews were an inferior race in the 3rd grade and it has never been debunked. Disney has fired for less heinous offenses, comparing today political climate to Nazi Germany.

Saying "not race" is not the same as saying jews are inferior.

txfz1
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2022, 9:27 pm

You lost me? It doesn’t matter that today we use another definition of race, it was Hitler’s definition that caused the holocaust. He wanted a pure aryan race and eugenics was his method to achieve it.

Last edited by txfz1 on 02 Feb 2022, 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2022, 9:28 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Brictoria wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Brictoria wrote:
It's nice to see someone who was "cancelled" for less is reaching out to help:
Quote:
I want to send blessings & love out to the Jewish community.
When I was being smeared, cancelled & misunderstood, it was a Jewish man @benshapiro who reached out & asked if I’d like to talk about it.

Maybe @WhoopiGoldberg could talk to Ben.

Source: https://twitter.com/ginacarano/status/1489027230697091076

I suspect Gina Carano's angle is why Whoopi Goldberg isn't being fired from Disney.

I see you have a problem with basic reading and comprehension... From Ms Carano's post (which you quoted in your reply):
Quote:

Seems fairly clear she isn't in favor of "cancellation" or having people fired.

It may be worth taking some time to read, rather than projecting your opinions onto others in future...

Seems you also have a problem with reading and comprehension since a predicated my sentence with "I suspect" which was not quoting the link you eagerly wanted everyone to see to make Carano seem like a victim of cancel culture

So...Enlighten us: What evidence do you have for "suspecting" something which is counter to the person's actual words?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2022, 10:43 pm

She originally said the Holocaust was about mans inhumanity to man and not about race because it was white people fighting white people. As we all know that was mistaken because the Nazis tried to murder the Jews out of existence based on the belief that the Jews were conspiratorial race. Hers is a mistake of ignorance not anti semitism. I do not think she meant it in the “it was just about white people fighting white people” way. To me it was an understandable mistake because when we grew up race was defined by skin color. There was “white” , “black”, “yellow” , and “brown”. I am Jewish and thought of and think of myself as white. I faced no discrimination based on my skin color, people do not clutch their belongings and move to the other side of the street when I go by. Most Jews here were more similar in skin color then different thus we were a white ethnic religious group(That did not mean I thought Sammy Davis was not Jewish.)

Goldberg apologized not in the “I’m sorry I offended you” way but by acknowledging exactly what she got wrong. That really should have been the end of it.

Now the definition of race I discussed before is now apparently hopelessly outdated. Jews are a race now. That is how the Nazis, KKK etc define us. And I am supposed to view this as progress :roll:

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ilovepalmtrees
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Feb 2022, 12:16 am

Most people use the term "race" to denote to skin color. In that sense, Jews can be any race. I'm Ashkenazi Jewish and I consider myself white. I benefit from white privilege in regards to interactions with the police, receiving better service, etc. That said, anti-semitism is prevalent and increasing. Somebody I know personally was attacked for being visibly Jewish and it made the news. That said while I'm ethnically Ashkenazi Jewish, I'm not visibly Jewish. I don't wear the star of David, etc. Thus I don't experience that kind of anti-Semitism. If I was visibly Jewish I know it would be different. I do hear people make comments about how Jews own all the banks and stuff.

Race is a social construct. At one point Italians were not considered white. The Nazis also believed in the "master race" so the holocaust was about race and Jews were targeted solely for being Jewish.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2022, 12:19 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Now the definition of race I discussed before is now apparently hopelessly outdated. Jews are a race now. That is how the Nazis, KKK etc define us. And I am supposed to view this as progress :roll:

The Nazis invented the concept of the Jewish race. Outside of Nazi Germany jews could assimilate in any society they lived and there was no "one drop" rule (no prizes for guessing where the Nazis got that idea from) or idea of a Jewish race.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2022, 12:21 am

Brictoria wrote:
So...Enlighten us: What evidence do you have for "suspecting" something which is counter to the person's actual words?

It should be self-evident Carano is fuming why she was shown the door from Disney whereas Disney has made no step to remove Whoopi
https://movieweb.com/gina-carano-speaks ... -the-view/

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2022, 12:48 am

cyberdad wrote:
Brictoria wrote:

It should be self-evident Carano is fuming why she was shown the door from Disney whereas Disney has made no step to remove Whoopi
https://movieweb.com/gina-carano-speaks ... -the-view/

What, in particular, in that article shows that "Gina Carano's angle is why Whoopi Goldberg isn't being fired from Disney"?

The closest I could see was her "tweet":
Quote:
Two weeks to slow the double standards.

Which is merely an observation about the double standards held by some, and not a request for anyone to be fired... It could even be seen as a nudge to Disney that if what occurred in this instance is only worth a 2 week "time-out", then there should be no impediment to Ms Carano's return to the Mandalorian show (and possibly the Boba Fett one as well, to boost its ratings).

It's also interesting that your supporting "evidence" (this article) for your claim doesn't even appear to have been published until some time after you made your claim...

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2022, 1:20 am

Brictoria wrote:
Which is merely an observation about the double standards held by some, and not a request for anyone to be fired... It could even be seen as a nudge to Disney that if what occurred in this instance is only worth a 2 week "time-out", then there should be no impediment to Ms Carano's return to the Mandalorian show (and possibly the Boba Fett one as well, to boost its ratings)..

It's relevant that Gina Carano was warned by Disney multiple times about the nature of her social media posts. It would be hard (but not impossible) for her to return to either the Mandalorian or the Book of Boba. Even now she has been receiving warnings from instagram suggesting she hasn't learned her lesson
https://www.deseret.com/entertainment/2 ... nformation

In comparison this is technically a first offence for Whoopi.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2022, 1:48 am

Interestingly I find myself agreeing with John Mcain's daughter, Meghan McCain who is a conservative
https://www.news.com.au/entertainment/t ... f3f9edf043

munstead
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2022, 3:05 am

txfz1 wrote:
You lost me? It doesn’t matter that today we use another definition of race, it was Hitler’s definition that caused the holocaust. He wanted a pure aryan race and eugenics was his method to achieve it.

You are spot on.

The Goldberg defenders seems to be getting themselves in a tizzy because they are applying their current (flawed in most cases) understanding of race to an historical situation... when Goldberg was talking about that historical situation and the motivations and intentions surrounding it.

Everyone's personal view on what race is and isn't today is TOTALLY IRRELEVANT to the subject of the discussion.

munstead
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2022, 3:12 am

Minervx_2 wrote:
What she said was poorly worded and misspoken, but not coming from any place of hate or ill intent.

Are you Whoopi Goldberg?

If yes, get back to educating yourself about race, racism, the Jewish people, Hitler, and WW2 origins.

If no, how the hell do you know?!

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2022, 3:39 am

Just going to point out, what's happening with Whoopi here shouldn't even really be called a suspension, it's more of a rubber rooming, getting her off the air until the story blows over so they don't have to talk about it.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2022, 3:50 am

txfz1 wrote:

Sorry, in this example Whoopi isn't really making a judgement about whether jews are superior or inferior (that's not what she said). My understanding is that she (Whoopi) was trying to make the point that jews/judaism isn't a race (which technically she is correct) but the way she put the point across in the context of the holocaust was both clumsy, inaccurate and culturally ignorant.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2022, 5:23 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Brictoria wrote:
Which is merely an observation about the double standards held by some, and not a request for anyone to be fired... It could even be seen as a nudge to Disney that if what occurred in this instance is only worth a 2 week "time-out", then there should be no impediment to Ms Carano's return to the Mandalorian show (and possibly the Boba Fett one as well, to boost its ratings)..

It's relevant that Gina Carano was warned by Disney multiple times about the nature of her social media posts. It would be hard (but not impossible) for her to return to either the Mandalorian or the Book of Boba. Even now she has been receiving warnings from instagram suggesting she hasn't learned her lesson
https://www.deseret.com/entertainment/2 ... nformation

In comparison this is technically a first offence for Whoopi.

Difference between Goldberg and Carano is Goldberg is willing to be educated and learn and not make the same mistake again. Carano on the other hand likes to double down and keep doing what she keeps doing and chooses to not be educated and learn.

I totally see the difference here and don't see these two comparable.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.