Whoopi Goldberg suspended for racist comments

Page 12 of 16 [ 242 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2022, 4:20 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
To me this is a combination of the road of good intentions being paved with hell and a little bit of knowledge being a dangerous thing.

It's interesting because there are gatekeepers who decide who is a jew and it does appear these gatekeepers are motivated by more by race although they won't admit that.

There is also an outstanding matter that almost all Jews who migrated to the US selected "White" as their identity. Note: I am not criticising that decision but taken in that context, Whoopi might be looking at this issue from that perspective.

So...what two points are you making?

1. Modern jewry is largely dominated by Ashkenazi and to a lesser extent Sephardic communities. They make up all of the rabbis in both the US and Israel including the chief rabbis. Despite their originally being 12 tribes of Israel, none of these rabbis can properly trace their tribe. There is a tenuous genetic link but the truth is they phenotypically no longer resemble their ancestors. Despite this they decide who is Jewish and who is not. This is of course not the problem.

Where this has introduced a problem is there has been a double standard where the rabbis seem to not apply very strenuous screening when it comes to attractive looking eastern European and Russian immigrants claiming Jewish identity. My understanding is that goyim in Russia merely convert to judaism and that is literally enough. In stark contrast the Falasha of Ethiopia have been screened thoroughly and despite clear evidence they have retained (against all odds) Jewish ritual/belief since the time their ancestors fled Egypt. Many thousands are blocked from Aliya, Similar levels of hurdles have been applied to Indian Jews. To me this is clearly an implicit racial bias that a person doesn't look "caucasian" then they need to jump through more hoops to prove to the Israeli Rabbis their "Jewishness".

2. Whoopi Goldberg is simply viewing this issue and generating her opinions based on her own experiences in the US. There is a tendency that when African American celebrities make public opinions on race, history and geography unfortunately there is often severe ignorance of other cultures. But then tweets or interviews from professional sports stars and musicians so they can hardly be expected to be "intellectuals".

Many people put Whoopi on a pedestal as an intellectual on "the View" and while she sometimes seems balanced and a voice of reason, she often stumbles over issues where she clearly is not educated enough to make opinions. Unfortunately black Americans don't have enough academic role models. There are very few who do the talk circuit. Infact the only one I can think of is Prof Neil De Grasse Tyson. He's popular on talk show/podcast circuit but he's often encumbered by questions about topics where he is not equipped to answer such as politics (he's a astronomer).

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2022, 4:23 pm

henry louis gates would seem to be better equipped to deal with such questions.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2022, 4:59 pm

cyberdad wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
To me this is a combination of the road of good intentions being paved with hell and a little bit of knowledge being a dangerous thing.

It's interesting because there are gatekeepers who decide who is a jew and it does appear these gatekeepers are motivated by more by race although they won't admit that.

There is also an outstanding matter that almost all Jews who migrated to the US selected "White" as their identity. Note: I am not criticising that decision but taken in that context, Whoopi might be looking at this issue from that perspective.

So...what two points are you making?

1. Modern jewry is largely dominated by Ashkenazi and to a lesser extent Sephardic communities. They make up all of the rabbis in both the US and Israel including the chief rabbis. Despite their originally being 12 tribes of Israel, none of these rabbis can properly trace their tribe. There is a tenuous genetic link but the truth is they phenotypically no longer resemble their ancestors. Despite this they decide who is Jewish and who is not. This is of course not the problem.

Where this has introduced a problem is there has been a double standard where the rabbis seem to not apply very strenuous screening when it comes to attractive looking eastern European and Russian immigrants claiming Jewish identity. My understanding is that goyim in Russia merely convert to judaism and that is literally enough. In stark contrast the Falasha of Ethiopia have been screened thoroughly and despite clear evidence they have retained (against all odds) Jewish ritual/belief since the time their ancestors fled Egypt. Many thousands are blocked from Aliya, Similar levels of hurdles have been applied to Indian Jews. To me this is clearly an implicit racial bias that a person doesn't look "caucasian" then they need to jump through more hoops to prove to the Israeli Rabbis their "Jewishness".

2. Whoopi Goldberg is simply viewing this issue and generating her opinions based on her own experiences in the US. There is a tendency that when African American celebrities make public opinions on race, history and geography unfortunately there is often severe ignorance of other cultures. But then tweets or interviews from professional sports stars and musicians so they can hardly be expected to be "intellectuals".

Many people put Whoopi on a pedestal as an intellectual on "the View" and while she sometimes seems balanced and a voice of reason, she often stumbles over issues where she clearly is not educated enough to make opinions. Unfortunately black Americans don't have enough academic role models. There are very few who do the talk circuit. Infact the only one I can think of is Prof Neil De Grasse Tyson. He's popular on talk show/podcast circuit but he's often encumbered by questions about topics where he is not equipped to answer such as politics (he's a astronomer).

Israel's "Right of Return" mandates that you...just say "I am a Jew". Thats it. And unless youve been convicted of a crime you're in.

Thats my understanding. And Israel did airlift Ethiopian Jews to Israel. The Black Jews of Ethiopia practice something that European/American/Israeli Jews can recognize as Judaism, but its a weird "non-rabbinical type of Judaism". So any problem with "gatekeeping" with oddball supposedly Jewish communities in odd places is probably more theological than racial.

I think that you exaggerate how much Israel discriminates.

And they have done genetic studies on diaspora Jews, including Russian Jews, and have found that Jews in Russia are in fact quite genetically distinct from their Gentile neighbors, and do retain DNA from "the Levant" (eastern Mediterranean). Russian Jews, and British Jews, are more akin to Palestinian Arabs then they are to Brits or Russians.

And even if Jews did racially descriminate over deciding who is a Jew I dont see how that lets Whoopie off of the hook.
It doesnt matter what the Jewish victims called themselves. What matters is how the Nazi perpetrators classified them.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2022, 6:06 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
And even if Jews did racially descriminate over deciding who is a Jew I dont see how that lets Whoopie off of the hook.
It doesnt matter what the Jewish victims called themselves. What matters is how the Nazi perpetrators classified them.

The detour was because you asked my to elaborate on point 1 which wasn't linked to Whoopi.

On point 2 I make it clear that Whoopi is being expected (by the media and by the Jewish community) to be some type of knowledgable expert on the holocaust which she self evidently is not.

She has an opportunity to educate herself but that is her choice.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2022, 8:28 am

Whoopi Goldberg forced to apologize — again — for repeating Holocaust slur

Quote:
Whoopi Goldberg has once again apologized for her comments claiming that the Holocaust was “not about race.”

A rep for the 67-year-old provided a statement to The Post on Tuesday, just days after a recent interview in which she reiterated the same Holocaust slur that got her suspended from “The View” last February.

“My best friend said, ‘Not for nothing is there no box on the census for the Jewish race. So that leads me to believe that we’re probably not a race,’” Goldberg had told the Sunday Times of London.

In her new statement, she attempted to clarify that she was simply referencing her past hurtful remarks, not “doubling down” on them.

“Recently while doing press in London, I was asked about my comments from earlier this year. I tried to convey to the reporter what I had said and why, and attempted to recount that time,” Goldberg began. “It was never my intention to appear as if I was doubling down on hurtful comments, especially after talking with and hearing people like rabbis and old and new friends weighing in.

“I’m still learning a lot and believe me, I heard everything everyone said to me. I believe that the Holocaust was about race, and I am still as sorry now as I was then that I upset, hurt and angered people. My sincere apologies again, especially to everyone who thought this was a fresh rehash of the subject. I promise it was not.

“In this time of rising antisemitism, I want to be very clear when I say that I always stood with the Jewish people and always will. My support for them has not wavered and never will,” she ended.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2022, 9:59 am

It does become slightly evident that ,the Jewish community seems to control a great deal of American Media .
Obviously notwithstanding Trumps misdeeds , he fell a foul of the US media , as in his campaign he slandered them
quite regularily as false news presentations . So now Trump pays the price. imho .
And now Whoopi pays the price .

where ever you go ,there you are

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2022, 10:16 am

Jakki wrote:
It does become slightly evident that ,the Jewish community seems to control a great deal of American Media .
Obviously notwithstanding Trumps misdeeds , he fell a foul of the US media , as in his campaign he slandered them
quite regularily as false news presentations . So now Trump pays the price. imho .
And now Whoopi pays the price .

Huh?

So...you admit that Trump is guilty of massive malfeasance, BUT...the Jewish cabal that runs the media went after him not because of his malfeasance, but because...he kept crying ''fake news" in speeches?

And you're now saying that Whoopie is also a victim of this vast Jewish cabal ?

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2022, 12:42 pm

Love the way you are practicing media tactics in your comments , Your good ....".Things i am now claiming."
inflammitory stuff like you are now using ? , "Vast Jewish Cabal" ..Love the exaggeration factor as compared to what i actually wrote, concerning coincidences and observations of persons that might , go against the common Larger Judaic narrative.Especially persons in the bigger veiw of the media. must admit it was bait to keep the thread going . :mrgreen: :roll:
Sorry , but given your writing..Might wonder if you are not already involved in the media production of some kind ?
Or should be ? You have skills . 8O , Better interpetation of what i had written :
( i think Whoopi is only actually guilty of spreading a forward thinking concept,as she did once before with Ted Danson ),but as i had written, given the current level of enlightenment in this society here. That she needs to pay attention to social conformities , And deserves what Ocurred , ( common sense , does not always seem to be always available .) . But if you wish to wrestle with words and conceptual definitions, i might be able to accomodate you ? :wink:
But be it know that i merely responding writing to the things that have been made available to me by the same media . that presented these things to me. And am not pro or anti anybody in particular , especially politicians.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2022, 1:01 pm

Jakki wrote:
Love the way you are practicing media tactics in your comments , Your good ....".Things i am now claiming."
inflammitory stuff like you are now using ? , "Vast Jewish Cabal" ..Love the exaggeration factor as compared to what i actually wrote, concerning coincidences and observations of persons that might , go against the common Larger Judaic narrative.Especially persons in the bigger veiw of the media. must admit it was bait to keep the thread going . :mrgreen: :roll:
Sorry , but given your writing..Might wonder if you are not already involved in the media production of some kind ?
Or should be ? You have skills . 8O , Better interpetation of what i had written :
( i think Whoopi is only actually guilty of spreading a forward thinking concept,as she did once before with Ted Danson ),but as i had written, given the current level of enlightenment in this society here. That she needs to pay attention to social conformities , And deserves what Ocurred , ( common sense , does not always seem to be always available .) . But if you wish to wrestle with words and conceptual definitions, i might be able to accomodate you ? :wink:
But be it know that i merely responding writing to the things that have been made available to me by the same media . that presented these things to me. And am not pro or anti anybody in particular , especially politicians.

Okay...

I am only asking you to clarify what you said.

And point out to you what you're saying sounds like you're saying (that there is a vast conspiracy).

And then you ...in the same breath...deny making a conspiracy theory...and accuse me of being part of the conspiracy! :lol:

I guess that you're just not capable of clarifying what you said. So you dont have to.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2022, 1:47 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Jakki wrote:

Okay...

I am only asking you to clarify what you said.

And point out to you what you're saying sounds like you're saying (that there is a vast conspiracy).

And then you ...in the same breath...deny making a conspiracy theory...and accuse me of being part of the conspiracy! :lol:

I guess that you're just not capable of clarifying what you said. So you dont have to.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Once again if you do not like the comparison , do not write like them .
Love the way you apply the word "conspirascy" to make the appearance of what I am saying as somewhat more dark or nefarious .
So you write about my supposed words claiming a conspirascy, then add that someway , i am claiming you are a part of this aswell . Please check your definition of " media" . Obviously as you write here today , you are merely a version of Media as you write . Using similiar methods of using words as props to incite a discussed topic. But that seems to be appearing common for the most part in major media outlets ,grasping for their part of the media veiwing audience
( better Ratings) . 8) 8) :evil: :roll:
{For the the greater corporate entity they (serve) work}..(And if you are part of such conspirasy,you should just say so? .)....examples of how to use words as props. 8)
Am presuming that you" may "not wish to further this line of :| conversation?
by how you ended your post.

Thank you for being Sporting about engaging me with your writing . As on bitter cold days writing to WP can be a fun pastime. :chin: :study: .
btw , what was written above about 'not bring able to clarify what I wrote': i am not going write it again, the writing i did was self explanitory. To persons veiwing the larger narritive concerning "humanity ".

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2022, 1:59 pm

Jakki wrote:

Correct me if I am wrong but what I assume you are saying is that there is no secret conspiracy of Jews meeting to control the media but the Jews in high media positions not working together have a similar agenda thus controlling what stories are broadcast, how they are interpreted etc. Jakki that is stereotype. Jewish people like other groups don’t always agree with each other. If you met one Jew, you have met one Jew. As seen here people are going to falsely interpret what you said as meaning Jewish cabal. Not only overly sensitive woke people but actual Jew haters. That is because using code words that is understood to mean something that can not be openly said is so common it is assumed. This is not fair, that is not right, but that is how it is. The Jewish control stereotype has led very bad outcomes for hundreds of years. That is why when Jews and control are in the same post there is going to be a very hostile reaction.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2022, 4:02 pm

You make a good point , but as was trying to give an idea about media bigger or smaller is just that media .
And am not trying to foment hostility , did not actually expect that in this smaller media forum . As a common Aspie trait, i have learnt. is That often we speak pragmatically . Intent is important,not necessarily the "widespread rumour interpetation" , but still the actually meaning of a word, Can be just what is intended ! . So perhap the entire content of 'a Post needs to be sorted ,as opposed to picking popular Mainstream media content phraseology as it is embellished by the larger media org.s group think. 8O
And as in smaller media , utube, etc. there are influencers , that can bias things into their favour or their groups favour.. for example a larger more well known.eg. MGM pictures,if a movie studio may control huge media market shares , So may the owners choose to support their own groups ideas . ie, Metro Goldwyn Meyers etc. for instance . Huge Finance houses ,
ie. Charles Schwab may act as financiers on a motion picture project. These are things that exist .in My concept of them and their supporters and those that maybe a Iraeli type political supporters or NOT ?. If someone wishes to inflame the situation using various media or polital hype buzzwords ." That is their choice .but NOT mine." :roll:
The depth of this could go on forever. But merely my idea, that i was trying to put forward is that perhaps Whoopi was intending to raise conciousness level en masse. Having a so to speak "public image ." in perhaps her venue to purport her concepts. But she bit the hand that fed her ,Big Media .So in current levels of understanding her being suspended fits the situation IMHO .
NO Cabals , no. Jewish Conspirascy . but I think i am starting to be conceptually redundant now.
am supposing it is not a far possible conclusion that different groups that claim associations might support various similiar ideologys , Countries or origin ? that lend preference in their understandings that favour , Their places or groups etc. Please You have a choice You can take the "Red pill or you can take the Blue Pill ?" ie. Matrix movie reference. Conceptualize : Pro Humanity or Segragation though seperation .

( Even John Lennon wrote of these ideas in his musics lyrics ) eg. song called " Imagine" i believe?
These are not new age concepts or ideas that are fantasies. But realities that badly need to be brought into the mainstream thought . (Here is a conspirascy you might chew on ? Lennon was assasinated not murdered .)? eh?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2023, 12:10 am

Whoopi Goldberg apologizes for using Romani slur on 'The View': 'I'm really, really sorry'

Quote:
Whoopi Goldberg issued an apology for using an offensive word on Wednesday's episode of The View. While discussing former president Donald Trump, the talk show host mentioned how his supporters feel he got "gypped" in the 2020 presidential election.

The View's official Twitter account posted an apology video from Goldberg shortly after the episode aired.

"You know, when you're a certain age, you use words that you know from when you're a kid or you remember saying, and that's what I did today and I shouldn't have," the 67-year-old actress explained. "I should have thought about it a little longer before I said it, but I didn't, and I should have said 'cheated' and I used another word. And I'm really, really sorry"

Multiple Twitter users commented how they were unaware that "gypped" was an offensive word. But here's why the term should be retired.

"Gypsy" is a word that's been used to describe the Romani people. Merriam-Webster defines being "gypped" as being cheated, defrauded or swindled, and notes, regarding its etymology, that it is "probably short for gypsy." For years, some have casually used the word to describe when they've received less than they paid for, or if they've gotten something stolen. Obviously, "gypped" doesn't have the best connotation.

"I encounter a lot of people who tell me that they never knew the word 'gypped' had anything to do with gypsies, or that it's offensive — especially when the word is heard not read," University of Texas at Austin professor Ian Hancock, who was born in Britain to Romani parents, explained to NPR in 2013. "My response to them is, 'That's okay. You didn't know but now you do. So stop using it. It may mean nothing to you, but when we hear it, it still hurts.'"

I am another one that never connected "gypped" with gypsies. I have not heard "gypped" in a really long time though it was common when I and Whoppi grew up.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2023, 12:47 am

I wonder how much old age plays (plaque building up around the neurons) in celebrities not controlling their filters.

I posit that Whoopi has hung around with mostly white people during the time she was famous and has simply internalised their own biases about jews and gypsies.

No brainer.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2023, 1:30 am

cyberdad wrote:
I wonder how much old age plays (plaque building up around the neurons) in celebrities not controlling their filters.

I posit that Whoopi has hung around with mostly white people during the time she was famous and has simply internalised their own biases about jews and gypsies.

No brainer.

Probably has little to do with senility, but with habit. In this case, as mentioned in the article a lot of people never conflated "gypped" with "gypsies". And you are assuming "gypped" was not used by black people.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2023, 1:40 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
I In this case, as mentioned in the article a lot of people never conflated "gypped" with "gypsies". And you are assuming "gypped" was not used by black people.

99.9% of black people wouldn't know if they ever met a Jewish person or Gypsy.