International Women's Day and Gender Roles

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

LordMikey
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Mar 2022, 1:37 am

Today (March 8th) is International Women's Day. In recognition of Women's Day, I want to share with everyone what I think is the obvious purpose of gender roles and of forcing women to only work in the home: This is a way to encourage (in fact, practically FORCE) heterosexual marriage.

Think about if: If girls are taught to do the cleaning and shopping and cooking and care of children, ECT, (but not how to get money) and boys are taught how to get money (but not how to keep house), then men and women need each other. In a society with strict gender roles, an unmarried woman requires the support of her male relatives and an unmarried man requires the help of his female relatives.

Good or bad? Hard to say! But I can say this: I don't think it's ok to belittle women who are not allowed to earn incomes by telling them they could "achieve so much in the world" or by impling that they are slaves or prisoners or by calling them oppressed, because some of those women are still very active in (and important to) their communities, and because the work they do at home matters.

Happy Women's Day!

~Lord Mikey~

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2022, 1:46 am

LordMikey wrote:
Today (March 8th) is International Women's Day. In recognition of Women's Day, I want to share with everyone what I think is the obvious purpose of gender roles and of forcing women to only work in the home: This is a way to encourage (in fact, practically FORCE) heterosexual marriage.

Think about if: If girls are taught to do the cleaning and shopping and cooking and care of children, ECT, (but not how to get money) and boys are taught how to get money (but not how to keep house), then men and women need each other. In a society with strict gender roles, an unmarried woman requires the support of her male relatives and an unmarried man requires the help of his female relatives.

Good or bad? Hard to say! But I can say this: I don't think it's ok to belittle women who are not allowed to earn incomes by telling them they could "achieve so much in the world" or by impling that they are slaves or prisoners or by calling them oppressed, because some of those women are still very active in (and important to) their communities, and because the work they do at home matters.

Happy Women's Day!

~Lord Mikey~

I agree that one should not belittle women who don't have the choice, that said not so sure it is wrong to say they are oppressed in those circumstances. I mean I see nothing wrong with it if a woman wants to fulfill more traditional roles, but it should be her choice not forced. So in any circumstances where the woman doesn't have a choice in it I'd say they are oppressed.

LordMikey
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Mar 2022, 2:19 am

I think it's really not oppression. I think that if a woman in a culture where women traditionally do not earn incomes wants to earn an income, then it means her husband is (or male relatives are) abusing her in general, and that that abuse would be happening no matter what their culture says about women's roles. I think the abuse can and should be handled in some way other than trying to "free" the women economically.

~Lord Mikey~

LordMikey
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Mar 2022, 2:39 am

Well... I'm thinking about this more, and I realized that of course a woman might want to earn an income to supplement her family's income, not because she is being abused at home -- BUT: That would still not be an issue of women being oppressed. That's an issue of the poor being oppressed.

Anyway, I'm probably too tired for such a serious topic! *Goes to bed.*

(EDITED several times for minor errors. lol.)
~Lord Mikey~