first Victoria's Secret model with Down syndrome

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2022, 1:21 am

Sofía Jirau, the first Victoria's Secret model with Down syndrome, says she's dreamed about a career in fashion since she was a little girl

Victoria's Secret made history by announcing that a model with Down syndrome will be a part of its new campaign featuring "dynamic women."

Sofía Jirau, the 24-year-old model from Puerto Rico, took to Instagram on Tuesday to share her new campaign with Victoria's Secret with her 201,000 followers. Speaking to Insider via a translator, Jirau recalled the moment she got the call that she'd been hired by Victoria's Secret.

https://www.insider.com/first-victorias ... oud-2022-2

I won't post Sofia's photos here but you can view them on the link.

ilovepalmtrees
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 Mar 2022, 6:50 pm

That's good that they are inclusive.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2022, 7:13 pm

Good for her! Goes to show anyone can achieve their dreams.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2022, 7:14 pm

Google her name----her image is all over the place!

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2022, 10:37 pm

Congratulations Sofia.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2022, 1:23 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Google her name----her image is all over the place!

I didn't want to post Sofia's picture here in case I am accused of objectifying a girl with ID. Even though Sofia has told reporters she wanted to do this, English is not her first language and because she has Downs there are many people concerned she does not fully understand what she is doing nor it's consequences.

For example does she handle her own money? or are her parents profiting of her lingerie modelling?

Just a few things concerned me. But if she is fully in control of the enterprise then all power to her and aI wish her every fortune and her celebrity (I am sure she will double the 200,000 followers she currently has)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2022, 7:26 am

The very nature of modeling is "objectification."

You posting her picture would merely be you wanting to publicize her in a positive way.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2022, 3:51 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

You posting her picture would merely be you wanting to publicize her in a positive way.

I wanted to, but I when I saw her photo in a bikini I wasn't sure how I felt. I thought just posting the link to her story was enough to promote Sofia in a positive way.

I was excited for her and for the Downs community but also confused how I felt.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2022, 10:57 am

cyberdad wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

I wanted to, but I when I saw her photo in a bikini I wasn't sure how I felt. I thought just posting the link to her story was enough to promote Sofia in a positive way.

I understand how you feel. I felt the same but I feel considerably more uncomfortable with the thought of excluding someone with ID from doing what they like because of that ID.

If she wants to be a Victoria secret model and knows what the job entails then I'm fine with it. She appears to have gone out of her way to work on her looks enough to warrant being a model and once she's done that, I think denying her isn't an option.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2022, 5:57 pm

Nades wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

I understand how you feel. I felt the same but I feel considerably more uncomfortable with the thought of excluding someone with ID from doing what they like because of that ID.

If she wants to be a Victoria secret model and knows what the job entails then I'm fine with it. She appears to have gone out of her way to work on her looks enough to warrant being a model and once she's done that, I think denying her isn't an option.

I agree with you but the point is she is very vulnerable to exploitation. I really hope her parents are protecting her and not exploiting her good looks for money. The men involved in the swimsuit/lingerie modelling industry aren't exactly people of the highest moral principle.