10 killed in Buffalo in act of white supremacist terrorism

Page 7 of 11 [ 173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

19 May 2022, 5:21 am

cyberdad wrote:
Tucker Carlson under the microscope. He's trying to wriggle out of his despicable use of replacement theory.

Excellent post.
It's really depressing how so many people happily swallow Carson's poison.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2022, 7:05 am

It could also be that “people of color” are no longer excluded from areas and jobs which in the old days was the exclusive province of “whites.”

demeus
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2022, 7:16 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
It could also be that “people of color” are no longer excluded from areas and jobs which in the old days was the exclusive province of “whites.”

I don't know about New York City but in Buffalo NY, they are still excluded. The only difference is that the discrimination is not overt and is harder to fight. A friend from Buffalo who has a PhD in Geography told me that there was a study done where employers were discriminating based on name on the resume. I also suspect (but have no evidence) that employers also discriminate based on zip code. This is especially true in extremely segregated cities such as Buffalo where certain zip codes have certain demographic makeups. In fact, my mother was harassed at work in the 1980s because she resided in the "wrong" zip code by her boss.

The area where the shooting occurred is starting to experience a revival of sorts. Not only with the opening of the TOPS store in 2003 (before that, there were no real grocery stores in any of the zip codes that were mostly African American in Buffalo) and some investment and financial education by Northwest and M&T Banks. Many locally owned businesses were starting to set up shot too. I think that is why the shooter chose that neighborhood. He was looking to start a race war and to end the minority renaissance in the 14208 zip code.

https://buffalonews.com/news/local/a-ki ... 79ffb.html

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2022, 7:53 am

There is certainly still housing discrimination in NYC----but it's not like it was in the old days.

There remain very few exclusively "white" areas. Many of the formerly "white" areas have been taken over by Asian folks. Whether Chinese, Indian, Korean, whatever. They don't tend to be inviting to people who are not of their ethnic group.

My neighborhood is quite a mixed area. Every demographic is represented. It's a matter of whether you could the price of a co-op, condo, or house. Rents are pretty high---$1,500 to $2,000 for a one-bedroom apartment. If you don't have a car, you have to take a bus and a train to commute to Manhattan. On an excellent day, it takes 1 1/4 hours to commute to my job. I have a car---so I drive and park near my train station, thereby cutting the commute to 1 hour on excellent days.

However: many formerly "black" and "Hispanic" areas have been taken over by gentrification, which forced many low-income people out of those neighborhoods.

In order to be able to rent a one-bedroom apartment for under $1,500, you have to live in an area which is very inconvenient to public transportation.

Many "minorities" have ascended to the "middle class"----but the squeeze is put on many, thereby forcing them to rent or buy apartments in areas not well-served by public transportation--or to leave NYC entirely.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2022, 11:00 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
There remain very few exclusively "white" areas. Many of the formerly "white" areas have been taken over by Asian folks. Whether Chinese, Indian, Korean, whatever. They don't tend to be inviting to people who are not of their ethnic group.

I am curious about the locations where the iconic NY TV series "Friends" was filmed? that cast and even the crowds frequenting the venues were portrayed as 100% white including the building the cast were renting in. This was also reflected in Seinfeld as well, the world the cast lived in around the late 1990s seems to be a homogenous all-white neighborhood.

But yes, I take your point, NY and other major US cities are regarded as very multicultural compared to regional USA. But are the neighborhoods where people live really all that multicultural?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2022, 11:21 pm

just so disgusting, like how can one just go shoot a bunch of civilians...just disgusting. And that he specifically targeted black people because of stupid race replacement theory or whatever.

f*****g hell, who the f**k cares if full white's die out....that isn't a genocide it is more people having sex outside their specific race and having mixed race kids, how is that a genocide against white people? Uhh just the man who did the shooting disgusts me.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2022, 11:25 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
just so disgusting, like how can one just go shoot a bunch of civilians...just disgusting. And that he specifically targeted black people because of stupid race replacement theory or whatever.

f*****g hell, who the f**k cares if full white's die out....that isn't a genocide it is more people having sex outside their specific race and having mixed race kids, how is that a genocide against white people? Uhh just the man who did the shooting disgusts me.

Goes to show you, these bigots think one's humanity rests solely on having white skin. They seem to think that true humanity would be lost through race mixing.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2022, 11:46 pm

can't fix stupid.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2022, 2:23 am

auntblabby wrote:
can't fix stupid.

Sadly enough, you can't.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2022, 2:26 am

It's worth noting that that racist teenage scum are being enabled in other schools by their fellow students and school administrators. This student here also threatened to kill black students.

Racist bullying (and indeed bullying of the disabled and LGBTQI) is apparently a nationwide problem with videos surfacing all the time of slurs being thrown around at sports events and in the school yard on a daily basis. This is a cultural problem and one enabled by lax school adminstrators and student bodies where this type of behaviour has been normalised.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

20 May 2022, 2:34 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Goes to show you, these bigots think one's humanity rests solely on having white skin. They seem to think that true humanity would be lost through race mixing.
That was probably the psychological mechanism developed to enable the atrocities of slavery by people calling themselves christians... still lingering :hmph:

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2022, 3:22 am

cyberdad wrote:
It's worth noting that that racist teenage scum are being enabled in other schools by their fellow students and school administrators. This student here also threatened to kill black students.

Racist bullying (and indeed bullying of the disabled and LGBTQI) is apparently a nationwide problem with videos surfacing all the time of slurs being thrown around at sports events and in the school yard on a daily basis. This is a cultural problem and one enabled by lax school adminstrators and student bodies where this type of behaviour has been normalised.

Bullying is exactly why we need hate speech laws similar to those in Germany and Sweden.

But the pro-Trump politicians won't let that happen. They will cry "persecution" if such legislation passes.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2022, 3:29 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Bullying is exactly why we need hate speech laws similar to those in Germany and Sweden.

But the pro-Trump politicians won't let that happen. They will cry "persecution" if such legislation passes.

The religious right often opposes such anti-bullying laws because they also would protect LGBTQ youth.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2022, 3:32 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
The religious right often opposes such anti-bullying laws because they also would protect LGBTQ youth.

for that crowd who long have been denying darwin, they sure do seem to strongly believe in social darwinism.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2022, 3:33 am

Tim_Tex wrote:

I agree Tim. It won't solve the problem but its a step in the right direction and might get schools and workplaces to take action against toxic culture/values that seem to be passed on intergenerationally.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2022, 4:06 am

auntblabby wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

for that crowd who long have been denying darwin, they sure do seem to strongly believe in social darwinism.

And they refuse to see the contradiction.