Ron DeSantis Signs Bill Banning Protests Outside Homes

Page 4 of 8 [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2022, 2:29 am

Pepe wrote:
My problem is the irrationality of the discussion.
Some people have been engaging in emotionalism and ignoring the facts.

ummm you do realise that is precisely what the republicans are being accused of right?

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2022, 2:33 am

cyberdad wrote:
Pepe wrote:
My problem is the irrationality of the discussion.
Some people have been engaging in emotionalism and ignoring the facts.

ummm you do realise that is precisely what the republicans are being accused of right?

Nonsense.
Is it or is it not a good law to prevent the intimidation of wives and children on both sides of the political divide?
Why do I even bother? :roll:

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2022, 2:41 am

Pepe wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Sure, the Afghan situation could have been handled better, but that hardly left America's reputation in shreds. Again, Biden's repaired the damage Trump had done to our relationships with long standing allies. Putin doesn't have his toady in the White House anymore. Now, as Biden is handling the situation with Ukraine relatively well, Afghanistan is receding in the rearview mirror.
Sure, politicians have a problem with the truth. It's part of the job description. But there are liars, then there are liars, and Trump was the king of them all.

I have already countered your argument here, elsewhere, and won't be doing it again.
Please accept that you have been skunked and move on? :mrgreen:

Kraichgauer wrote:
If I got off topic, it was only because the post I had responded to already had.
I wouldn't particularly enjoy having protesters outside my house, but who would? And sure, this law would apply to Republicans as well as Democrats, but it's been enacted specifically to target liberal protest. And where will this end? Will this law be used to keep the media from interviewing someone at their own home? I can easily see DeSatan doing just that if somebody from his side of the aisle is under media scrutiny.

Probably, but it is a law that should have been ratified decades ago, wouldn't you agree?

Is it, or is it not, a good law *for all*? 8)

Me skunked? NEVER!
Should it have been ratified long ago? Again, I certainly wouldn't want protesters frightening my family in our home. That said, it will always be argued that it's a matter of freedom of speech and freedom to protest.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2022, 3:07 am

Off Topic
Kraichgauer wrote:
Sure, the Afghan situation could have been handled better, but that hardly left America's reputation in shreds. Again, Biden's repaired the damage Trump had done to our relationships with long standing allies. Putin doesn't have his toady in the White House anymore. Now, as Biden is handling the situation with Ukraine relatively well, Afghanistan is receding in the rearview mirror.

It is not just Afghanistan, but a long history going back to Vietnam of cutting and running and leaving our allies under the bus. From Lebanon to Somalia, to the "Red line" in Syria what we have repeatedly demonstrated when then the going gets tough, we get going. If you are our enemy you know if you can survive our initial brutal shock and awe we will get impatient, not be able to take the casualties that you can and you will win. That was the strategy successfully employed by the North Vietnamese and the Taliban. I most definitely think correlation equaled causation when it came to Putin's decision to invade. We never did much more than virtue signal about Hungary, Czechoslovakia, Crimea, or Georgia. Our reaction to his invasion sure must be a shock to him but in the back of his mind, he has to be thinking just wait us out.

Afghanistan may be in our rearview mirror but tell that to the girls and women of Afghanistan, and allies of ours we abandoned (if they are still alive)

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2022, 3:21 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Sure, politicians have a problem with the truth. It's part of the job description. But there are liars, then there are liars, and Trump was the king of them all.

I have already countered your argument here, elsewhere, and won't be doing it again.
Please accept that you have been skunked and move on? :mrgreen:

Kraichgauer wrote:
If I got off topic, it was only because the post I had responded to already had.
I wouldn't particularly enjoy having protesters outside my house, but who would? And sure, this law would apply to Republicans as well as Democrats, but it's been enacted specifically to target liberal protest. And where will this end? Will this law be used to keep the media from interviewing someone at their own home? I can easily see DeSatan doing just that if somebody from his side of the aisle is under media scrutiny.

Probably, but it is a law that should have been ratified decades ago, wouldn't you agree?

Is it, or is it not, a good law *for all*? 8)

Me skunked? NEVER!
Should it have been ratified long ago? Again, I certainly wouldn't want protesters frightening my family in our home. That said, it will always be argued that it's a matter of freedom of speech and freedom to protest.

The law does not restrict the freedom of speech or freedom to protest.
It is an attempt at introducing freedom from psychological abuse of the family unit.

Had protestors of the past had common decency, there wouldn't be the need for this law. 8)

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2022, 3:25 am

public officials should not be totally exempt from public social blowback of the evils they do.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2022, 3:31 am

auntblabby wrote:
public officials should not be totally exempt from public social blowback of the evils they do.

Read my lips:
Give "social blowback".
Don't psychologically abuse the family unit.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

20 May 2022, 6:01 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Sure, the Afghan situation could have been handled better, but that hardly left America's reputation in shreds.
It's also worth bearing in mind that Biden simply did what Trump had planned to do but dithered.
Whoever started the withdrawal was destined to be in trouble as a result. There is no tidy solution to that festering mess.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

20 May 2022, 6:10 am

Pepe wrote:
Is it or is it not a good law to prevent the intimidation of wives and children on both sides of the political divide?
It's a slippery slope - how long before it includes a ban on protests outside government buildings, on the grounds that it's interfering with governmental processes?
Quote:
Something I often wonder. 8) :mrgreen: (etc)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2022, 8:15 am

I actually don't believe in people protesting right outside of people's homes.

Hopefully, though, this won't lead to more draconian, 1984 sorts of measures. Hopefully it's not a "one thing leads to another" sort of situation.

Rather like the overturn of Roe vs. Wade.

Timeflyer
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 May 2022, 9:22 am

Proud Boys and abusive anti-mask, anti-vaccine folks protested aggressively outside private homes of school board members in Florida counties that chose to protect lives of the students, staff and teachers and community at large, during COVID. The governor, far away in Tallahassee, dictated that all of Florida had to return to pre-pandemic business as usual. To make local decisions, based on local health conditions, was forbidden and will be punished financially. So, that's how much our governor respects life. In Florida, every life is precious--until you're born. Then, sucker, you're on your own.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2022, 10:09 am

The rights to protest can only be done away with if your country abandons democracy and take on another form of governing system. While protests may be inconvenient and protestors have a responsibility to behave themselves (Any protestor who does not behave themselves and causes damage should should have to pay every cent of the damage they caused and should be personally responsible for putting right any wrongs that they have done as every person is responsible for their own actions).

Democratic governments should defend the rights to protest but they should also show how to protest without disrupting anyones lives. Block roads and people should have the right to drive straight through regardless of any people hurt because protestors have no rights to prevent others using roads. Protests can be conducted in ways that show ones feelisgs and why but without provokation. One is showing that one objects to whatever it is one is protesting about. One isn't trying to cause any harm to anyone.
The reason why protests go wrong is when people try to over ride democracy by protesting. Protests are to bring forth issues into the public view so that they can be considered. Not to over-ride the democratic process.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2022, 10:50 am

Mountain Goat wrote:
The rights to protest can only be done away with if your country abandons democracy and take on another form of governing system. While protests may be inconvenient and protestors have a responsibility to behave themselves (Any protestor who does not behave themselves and causes damage should should have to pay every cent of the damage they caused and should be personally responsible for putting right any wrongs that they have done as every person is responsible for their own actions).

Democratic governments should defend the rights to protest but they should also show how to protest without disrupting anyones lives. Block roads and people should have the right to drive straight through regardless of any people hurt because protestors have no rights to prevent others using roads. Protests can be conducted in ways that show ones feelisgs and why but without provokation. One is showing that one objects to whatever it is one is protesting about. One isn't trying to cause any harm to anyone.
The reason why protests go wrong is when people try to over ride democracy by protesting. Protests are to bring forth issues into the public view so that they can be considered. Not to over-ride the democratic process.

I can see why blocking roads is not a good protest method at least with more main roads, but some city blocks it would be hard to totally avoid all the smaller side streets and such for a protest.

Timeflyer
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 May 2022, 11:20 am

"Block roads and people should have the right to drive straight through regardless of any people hurt because protestors have no rights to prevent others using roads." Huh? I don't care how obnoxious a protestor is, or how opposed to their opinion I am, isn't running people over deliberately murder? Or is this another form of "stand your ground"? Hope you miswrote.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2022, 3:54 pm

Timeflyer wrote:
Proud Boys and abusive anti-mask, anti-vaccine folks protested aggressively outside private homes of school board members in Florida counties that chose to protect lives of the students, staff and teachers and community at large, during COVID. The governor, far away in Tallahassee, dictated that all of Florida had to return to pre-pandemic business as usual. To make local decisions, based on local health conditions, was forbidden and will be punished financially. So, that's how much our governor respects life. In Florida, every life is precious--until you're born. Then, sucker, you're on your own.

I have to wonder if DeSatan would look the other way in the case of right wing bullies.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2022, 3:54 pm

Cornflake wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Sure, the Afghan situation could have been handled better, but that hardly left America's reputation in shreds.
It's also worth bearing in mind that Biden simply did what Trump had planned to do but dithered.
Whoever started the withdrawal was destined to be in trouble as a result. There is no tidy solution to that festering mess.

Indeed.